D Lineup

Floyd

Bogo,Trouba,Scheif,Kane,Lowry are the guys they are building around. Buff is not. 

According to who?  Kevin Cheveldayoff?  Did he say that about Buff?  How about Maurice?  No?  So then why?  Because he is a little older?  This team can't just keep getting younger every year, that's a recipe for disaster.  You can't cast off every player that hits 30-years-old.

Buff has to stay on D, one of the other big three can be traded (prolly Bogo cause he just can't stay healthy enough here to be relied on). Work from a position of strength and get someone pretty good for him. Let the rest of the D sort itself out and now you've improved the forwards.

And in a year when Buff is a UFA and decides he doesn't want to be here? what do you do then? 

Too many people thinking about now and not the future it seems. Bogo is part of that future, buff is not.

and who said Buff stays on D when everyone is healthy? Chevy? Maurice? Nope. 

And in a year when Buff is a UFA and decides he doesn't want to be here? what do you do then? 

Too many people thinking about now and not the future it seems. Bogo is part of that future, buff is not.

How is that any different from saying "what if in a year O'Reilly will be a UFA and decides he doesn't want to be here"?  Its the same situation, but now you spent a year and a half paying more money to a less valuable player.

This isn't about present vs. future.  O'Reilly has the same contract term as Buff.  We're talking about what serves the team better for the next year and a half and the obvious answer is that keeping Byfuglien serves the team better.

I'm going with ...

Enstrom - Bogosian

Trouba - Stuart

Byfuglien - Chiarot

Chiarot likely not as effective with a guy like Clitsome or Pardy. But it does ask the question - is Byfuglien worth it as a third pairing guy?

I doubt he gets the minutes he wants. Nor is it worth it financially. Unless he special teams minutes makes up the difference.

Also I wouldn't be opposed to trading Chiarot if we could use him as part of a package to get a good forward. I bet you someone will give him a better contract than we will be willing to give him after this season so trading him wouldn't be a bad option. Remember that for left habded D we have Enstrom, Stuart, Harrison, and Clitsome all under contract with Morrissey possibly entering the conversation next year. There will be a team that is more desperate for a good young defenceman than we are.

. I can't say I disagree with your point but it's an unpopular opinion around here.

If all things are equal ofcourse we keep buff. And he loves it here and he plays any position we want and he signs a ten year contract and he's an elite player til he's 40. But when you consider real world considerations the Jets will have a decision to make about buff next year and buff will have a decision to make about the jets.

Keeping buff at D probably increase jets chance of re-signing him

If there really is an expendable dman, its probably enstrom - he's older, could be a good fit for edmonton and help schultz - really think a guy like eberle is key to our third line and playoff success

Keeping buff at D probably increase jets chance of re-signing him

If there really is an expendable dman, its probably enstrom - he's older, could be a good fit for edmonton and help schultz - really think a guy like eberle is key to our third line and playoff success

Think the only way to get Eberle is Bogo or Trouba and I'd rather trade Bogo. He's having a good year but last year SHUDDER.

I like Buff better up front as I think keeping his mins down limits potential mistakes and keeps him fresh. He's also a guy I wouldn't mind seeing moved after the season. The way he's played this year, you'd have to figure the return would be as massive as his frame. And with only one year left after this, it's nearly time to look at chances he re-signs (& at what price) or walks.

All that said, he's easily our most exciting player and his filling in on D has been beyond impressive.

Having Bogo trouba buff as right handed d man means nothing cuz reality is those 3 could play the left and would be better than the guys we currently have playing the left side. That's why it's irrelevant cuz buff Bogo trouba on the left is better than the scrubs currently playing. Thinking short term isn't the jets way. No big names are traded until the off season or until they find out if guys like buff and Ladd will sign. Buff for 4 5 years at 6 7 million? Not sure it's worth it. We were a better team when he was on forward.

Trade Kane + 1st rounder to 1st overall.

0% chance that would be enough. McDavid is going to be a franchise player. You don't hand those guys over for a 2nd liner and a 10-20 pick.

The last time a "generational" prospect was traded was LIndros. Philly had to give up a tonne (Peter Forsberg, Steve Duschene, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philly’s first-round pick in 1993 and 1994, and $15 million in cash) to get him. McDavid is the at the level Lindros was coming out of Junior and will also demand a huge return.

Having Bogo trouba buff as right handed d man means nothing cuz reality is those 3 could play the left and would be better than the guys we currently have playing the left side. That's why it's irrelevant cuz buff Bogo trouba on the left is better than the scrubs currently playing. Thinking short term isn't the jets way. No big names are traded until the off season or until they find out if guys like buff and Ladd will sign. Buff for 4 5 years at 6 7 million? Not sure it's worth it. We were a better team when he was on forward.

It is not irrelevant.  That's sort of like saying we should trade Pavs because Budaj can be the veteran back up.  Which would you be more comfortable with in a Playoff situation?

Bogo played the LHD last season and was not very good.  I dont disagree that those guys can play better LHD then Pardy or Clitty but there's a reason most D-men play a specific side and why most teams target specific side-playing D-men.  And if a player excells on his off-side, thats generally something focused on as a positive.  Ovechkin sure can play either wing, right?  If players were interchangeable it wouldnt matter.  In the short term, maybe.

But for the sake of the future, the decisions the Jets have to make is, do they want Buff long term.  Because next season they will have to resign him (or this summer if they want to be really pro-active).  Playing like he is, Buff could go to free agency and have 20+ teams make him a career offer.  Winnipeg can offer him the one extra year but will they offer him an eight year deal.

This really becomes a great discussion about what would you offer Buff if you were negotiating with him this summer?

Trade Kane + 1st rounder to 1st overall.

0% chance that would be enough. McDavid is going to be a franchise player. You don't hand those guys over for a 2nd liner and a 10-20 pick.

The last time a "generational" prospect was traded was LIndros. Philly had to give up a tonne (Peter Forsberg, Steve Duschene, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Philly’s first-round pick in 1993 and 1994, and $15 million in cash) to get him. McDavid is the at the level Lindros was coming out of Junior and will also demand a huge return.

That was a huge over payment for Lindros and would never happen today.  But your point is certainly one I can agree with.  A team making a move for 1st over-all would have to either be very very deep or be a team looking to rebuild/reload with enough talent to make it worth the Oilers' while to do so.  McDavid is good enough and the Oilers young enough that it wouldnt make much sense to get help now for a player that is going to come in and play right away anyway.

I think Winnipeg and Edmonton could be trade partners though as they need D and we have an abundance of it.  We also have goaltending prospects though they need help right now.  Im not anti-Pavs so I could see the Oilers having interest but I dont think the Jets would trade Pavs anyway, even if Hutch becomes the starter.

***For Entertainment/Speculation purposes only***  :-)

Our favourite rumour site has this one:

* The Maple Leafs aren't done with changes. A source I trust tells me that the coaching change was more of "Phase 1" than the whole deal. The Leafs have been talking to the Jets about Zach Bogosian, but obviously want to see if he is indeed healthy. He is playing tonight and many teams will be watching. The word is Joffrey Lupul/Jake Gardiner would be in such a deal.

*** Hadnt considered that before...Bogo for Lupol.  Thoughts? 

***For Entertainment/Speculation purposes only***  :-)

Our favourite rumour site has this one:

* The Maple Leafs aren't done with changes. A source I trust tells me that the coaching change was more of "Phase 1" than the whole deal. The Leafs have been talking to the Jets about Zach Bogosian, but obviously want to see if he is indeed healthy. He is playing tonight and many teams will be watching. The word is Joffrey Lupul/Jake Gardiner would be in such a deal.

*** Hadnt considered that before...Bogo for Lupol.  Thoughts? 

I certainly hope not. I'd have no interest in either one of those guys.