Pavs

He takes a lot of heat from people who probably can't skate and has never played hockey in their lives. 

I agree though, He has been the best JET this season and if he got some help, IE: more than 1 goal a game, we would be in a playoff spot. 

Jets are 11th in the league in goals against, 28th in goals for.

Fans always want to blame one guy tho regardless. 

I love the "Pavs sucks" losers have crawled back into their holes.  I saw a debate somewhere else where people were so angry that we didnt resign Montoya, using his stats from, what, two games, as proof he was a better goalie.  Even went so far as to say that because Florida signed him, it meant "every" other team was interested in him.

It may be early but Pavs has been our best player.

Pav has been pretty spectacular so far, very good really.  He doesn't need to continue to be spectacular, he just needs to be average really. The last few years he's been below average. If he keeps this pace up, we make the play-offs easily, if he doesn't and is just average, (league average), we should probably still have a good chance at making the playoffs. Pavs problem the last few years is he's been below league average. This year, he is well above it so far. If he is just average, we have a chance. 

He deserved a lot of the flak he took in the past. He wasn't very good.

With a few exceptions, he's been very good this year. Hopefully this is who he is now and not just a hot start that will eventually regress to his mean.

For sure he deserved some of the flak he took in the past, but the team as a whole didn't play well defensively.  They take some of the blame as well.  Having confidence that your defenders will take away rebounds and be in the right positions is huge for a goalie.  Right now, it looks like the whole team has bought in, and it is showing dividends.

In his last 5 games, Pavs has a .955 save percentage, 1.15 GAA, and 1 shutout.   Certainly those numbers are not sustainable over the long term, and will be a big challenge against Pittsburgh.     In only one of those games did he let in more then 1 goal.

The team needs to start scoring more goals, so that as Pavelec's numbers come back down to reality, we continue to win games. Hopefully he remains steady back there.

Exactly.  Too many people assume the goalie is the end all be all of everything to do with a hockey team.  Yes there are some goalies that excel when they face 40+ shots a night.  Most dont.  Pavs was good in Year 1 (named Jets MVP I believe).  He started well last year.  The team was atrocious in front of him.  I like Lawless' take on this, that Pavs was too often out of position because he was either always making a spectacular save that his D allowed or he was anticipating having to make a spectacular save.  He's been much more sound positionally this season so far.

He will have spectacular games this season and he will have atrocious games this season.  Every goalie does.  But just last week people were calling for his head.  People have to look at the big picture.  If you actually watched the games you could see Pavs was better and now the stats have cought up with that.

Im glad to see Hutch have a great game too.  I was worried about his confidence.  He's very sound positionally and thats what he showed against Chicago.  Always in the right place, ready to make the right save.

Pav has been pretty spectacular so far, very good really.  He doesn't need to continue to be spectacular, he just needs to be average really. The last few years he's been below average. If he keeps this pace up, we make the play-offs easily, if he doesn't and is just average, (league average), we should probably still have a good chance at making the playoffs. Pavs problem the last few years is he's been below league average. This year, he is well above it so far. If he is just average, we have a chance. 

If he plays average I think you're right, but the team has to play better than average in front of him, like they've been doing in the last little stretch. Allows him to play better positionally in the net and not have to scramble to make the big saves.

If he plays average I think you're right, but the team has to play better than average in front of him, like they've been doing in the last little stretch. Allows him to play better positionally in the net and not have to scramble to make the big saves.

Oh i agree, the team itself the last few years have been below average too in several key areas, mainly defensively. Hopefully they keep this up because it's working for them right now. 

He deserved a lot of the flak he took in the past. He wasn't very good.

With a few exceptions, he's been very good this year. Hopefully this is who he is now and not just a hot start that will eventually regress to his mean.

For sure he deserved some of the flak he took in the past, but the team as a whole didn't play well defensively.  They take some of the blame as well. 

Of course it's not all his fault. Nowhere did I suggest it was.

He's had hot stretches like this before, and always regressed back to his .900 self. Hopefully this time is different, but I have to see it before I'll believe it.

I don't know about that. Something different about Pavelec this year, his positioning and rebound control is much better, that's what has hurt him in the past. If he can keep it up, for some reason, I think he will shut some people up this season. The other thing, I'd like to see Hutch play more than our backups have the last few years, what might hurt pav is he consistently plays lots and lots of games, not sure it's a good thing. Think what drains him is he plays too much and has played too much the last few years cuz obviously they had no confidence in their backups the last couple years. Hopefully Hutch plays about 20 25 games this season, if he does, Pav shouldn't be over worked.