TSN change means no CFL broadcast

TrueBlue4ever

My cable package always allowed me to get TSN and TSN 2. When the expansion came to 5 TSN channels, I then got all 5…….until two days ago, that is. Now all I get is TSN 2 and TSN 3. With the Jets game on TSN 3 tonight (and U.S. college hockey on TSN 2) I could not get the CFL game. I called Shaw Cable (my provider) and asked why I wasn't getting the national TSN feed that I was paying for, and they explained that this is a TSN decision, not theirs, and TSN 1 is now technically TSN "West" (4 is Ontario and 5 is Quebec) so it is blacked out in the Winnipeg region, and the "free trial"of all 5 channels is now over. TSN 3 now supposedly replaces TSN 1 as the main TSN feed for Winnipeg, and TSN 2 provides secondary programming for the entire nation like it always has. Problem is that TSN 3 has not been showing the same stuff as TSN 1 all the time, and with the hockey game tonight taking precedence in the Winnipeg region, I was unable to watch our one national league on the sole national broadcaster, and apparently have no way to even pay more to order TSN 1 anymore (which I shouldn't have to, since I was already paying for it!). Long story short, I am told there is no national feed anymore, and Winnipeg broadcasting will take precedence over what TSN would normally broadcast on a national basis. So much for expanded TSN channels and more viewing options. My cable supplier told me if I want to complain, complain to TSN and not the cable company.

Just curious if anyone else had this problem, or is my cable supplier mistaken? 

Also, if TSN 3 broadcasts something other than the Grey Cup, I will be pissed! Hope there isn't a Jets game on Grey Cup Sunday.

Jacquie and iso are both right. Jacquie, those are the standard definition channel listings, and iso, those are the same channels we get TSNHD on here in Winnipeg.

The five TSN feeds were provided for free to all Shaw customers until October 15, when the free preview ended. After that, you will only have TSN2 (the national TSN feed) and TSN3 (the regional feed for Winnipeg). Generally, TSN3 will show CFL games, but the Jets games take precedence when they are at the same time as CFL games. If you want TSN1, TSN4, and TSN5, you have to pay 3 dollars a month for the sports package. This will also give you Sportsnet Pacific and Sportsnet Ontario.

Jacquie and iso are both right. Jacquie, those are the standard definition channel listings, and iso, those are the same channels we get TSNHD on here in Winnipeg.

Those aren't the SD channels for people who have the new cable box from Shaw. The new cable boxes automatically put the HD feed on the SD channel numbers.

Another reason I prefer MTS cable - no crap about a free preview and TSN 1-5 are part of the basic service.

I saw the Ottawa-Hamilton game but living in Calgary I saw no Jets game. But man do we see the ******* craptacular Oilers. Every bloody game. 

In Alberta you get every Flames and Oilers game, it makes sense right? They're the local teams and as long as the NHL is doing regional broadcasts that won't change.

Those aren't the SD channels for people who have the new cable box from Shaw. The new cable boxes automatically put the HD feed on the SD channel numbers.

Another reason I prefer MTS cable - no crap about a free preview and TSN 1-5 are part of the basic service.

Thanks you're right. I actually had one of those new boxes but I ended up going back to the older one I own after experiencing nothing but problems with the new one.

MTS is far superior, in my opinion, but I am stuck with Shaw due to factors beyond my control.

I have a cell phone with MTS, and tried to switch to their TV/internet when I moved recently, but their customer service was just awful.  No installations after 4 PM, nothing on weekends, didn't seem to care too much when we said that the fact that they had no flexibility to work evenings meant they wouldn't get $150 a month from us.  That's why I'm still with Shaw, although they aren't much better. 

Would be nice to have some competition in tv/internet, seems like MTS and Shaw treat us like we need them more than they need us as customers.

MTS does have all TSN's in their basic package, but no Sportsnet or other sports channels, and I'd rather have some variety than 5 TSN channels which usually have no more than 2 different events/programs on at once.

I saw the Ottawa-Hamilton game but living in Calgary I saw no Jets game. But man do we see the ******* craptacular Oilers. Every bloody game. 

Hey now look at it this way - you just see them, you don't cheer for them. 

I do my best to tell my fellow bomber fans to look up - things could be worse you could be Oiler fans too. I also tell my Oiler fans - hey cheer up, things could be worse, you could be 'bomber fans'. 

So what do people tell fans like me, that are fans of both the Oilers and the Bombers. I used to enjoy the misery a little bit (kept it interesting still - by that I mean wanting the people in the organisation I didnt' like gone) but like who the bombers have in place now and I think they deserve better (on the field). As for the Oilers....... I did like what they were starting to do - but the more I reflect, the more Eakins reminds me of Jeff Reinbold. He didn't ride into town on a Harley like Jeff did, but he did arrive with that same swagger, and really made a lot of sweeping changes to the culture of the locker room.

The bomber downward spiral with the arrival of Reindolt - who was, up until last year, the biggest idiot I ever saw running a team (yes, bigger than Kelly, bigger than Burke - neither had assistant coaches quitting on him in mid season, that spoke volumes to me) until Eakins..... I think Reindolt may have gotten trumped - may have. Jury still out - but it's a close race. 

Ok ISO - take me out back and shoot me now please. Put me out of my misery.

To the OP - good on you - it will be another blow out tonight. Calgary wants to clinch first place, and Wpg has no clue what they are doing, they are imploding from within. 

In Calgary my Shaw Channel Guide shows  Channel 236 TSN HD, 237 TSN 2D, 238 TSN 3, 239 TSN 4, 240 TSN 5. Why is it so different in Wpg?

Same for me.

I think the channel numbers for the HD channels are the same everywhere. Same with the non-local TSN channels in SD. It's just the local SD channel that's different.

Jacquie said that TSN3 is on channel 13 for them. Being in Saskatoon, mine is on channel 5. It varies by location.

In Alberta you get every Flames and Oilers game, it makes sense right? They're the local teams and as long as the NHL is doing regional broadcasts that won't change.

Yep. You're right but it's torture. Actually I'll sit back & watch a Flames game but the Oilers? Bleh?

That is correct. For the uninformed, new boxes like the DCX3200 make SD channels HD if the HD equivalent exists in the 200's. So channel 2 is CBC Wpg HD and nothing is on 209.

One weird exception is PBS SD is Grand Forks and HD is Fargo.

I wonder if some peeps are using older boxes which are slowly losing channels due to new compression.

That is correct. For the uninformed, new boxes like the DCX3200 make SD channels HD if the HD equivalent exists in the 200's. So channel 2 is CBC Wpg HD and nothing is on 209.

One weird exception is PBS SD is Grand Forks and HD is Fargo.

I wonder if some peeps are using older boxes which are slowly losing channels due to new compression.

I think that is what it is. I get all five channels on my new box, but only TSN2/3 in the basement on the old one.