Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AtlanticRiderFan

The Music Thread

31 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Finished it on Friday and also thoroughly enjoyed it.  I knew a lot of it but there was still quite a bit of interesting stuff that I hadn't heard before.  What they pulled off was amazing... so many artists signed to so many different labels.  It wasn't surprising to see how they almost self-destructed but the fact that they are still going is pretty incredible.

I knew nothing about the structure of the management, including Divine. They didn't dive too deep into it but you got the sense that there was a lot of money not making it back to the artists and they were bitter. 

22 minutes ago, JCon said:

I knew nothing about the structure of the management, including Divine. They didn't dive too deep into it but you got the sense that there was a lot of money not making it back to the artists and they were bitter. 

I got the sense there was also a lack of business knowledge as well.   In the last part when they were questioning Divine about his cut and he explained that if he got them a million dollar deal, they would get 800k and he would get 200k.  I believe it was GFK who replied f**k that, I want my million.  Every business manager/agent is going to get a cut, so if those guys were expecting every cent to go to them, it's not a surprise that things went sideways.

Trying to keep that many guys happy would be next to impossible and it eventually showed.  Now whether or not Divine was taking a cut that was more than fair, is another story.