Eastern Division (again)

BBlink

The best 6 have made the playoffs for years. 

In 2008 the West won 26 of 32 inter-divisional games.

The rest of my thoughts on it are here - http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/8/25_Is_the_East_the_Least_-_Part_2.html

Good article Rids.  For what it's worth, throwing in a "Quarterbacks" sub-header might make that first section a bit clearer (unless I missed it).

I didn't have the time to go thru all the records in recent years but I know that the east wasn't the dismal pit of failure every season in the last 20 years like some people are choosing to "remember".  There have been some dreadful years for sure, but more often than not it was Montreal putting up one of the better records in the league, with Winnipeg and Toronto fighting for that second spot with records that were around .500.  Some years the stars of suckage aligned and one of Winnipeg/Toronto would combine with Hamilton and Ottawa to create a battle of the least, but for the most part the eastern teams that made the playoffs had reasonable records.

The real problem was moving the Bombers back to the West so quickly. Granted, nobody knew the Bombers would be any good this year but you have to figure the division with an extra team should be the one with the expansion team in it.

Nah they just wanted the easier road for their babies to make the playoffs. Easier to make the playoffs in the 4 team division. Let's be perfectly honest here, the east is the weakest part of the league in terms of fan support, if you even risk having all those teams playing 2nd fiddle to the Bombers in the division it's not good. Playoff games in Ontario or Montreal are needed. **** the prairies, they support the team no matter what. 

I still don't understand why the thinking that it will even out in the end holds water. Of course in an East vs East game someone wins and as a result an East team will finish with a semi-decent record. What this scheduling has shown us is that that team simply isn't likely very good. So what if Montreal beats Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto once? Beating bad teams does not automatically make you a good one.

What if things were reversed & the West Division was the doormat. AND...the Bombers were out of it in August? How many fans would be going to the games at IGF? This is an anomally. Things will be different next year.

They just need to make the schedule a little more carefully.
The expansion draft really upset things. In order to accommodate Ottawa, the BOG's lowered the quality of play in the entire CFL. It's killing offenses.

"There aren't enough quality Canadian OL from CIS to stock the teams." I don't believe we lack Canadian talent ... we just lack developed talent .... we need to add several development positions on our rosters for Canadians and bring them along over a couple years ... add a special protected taxi squad of say 4 Canadians at $25K each .... a pipeline of new candidates and the depth we want will start to develop ... The CFL (read the owners) are just too cheap to spend $$$ on referees and bigger rosters

The best 6 have made the playoffs for years. 

In 2008 the West won 26 of 32 inter-divisional games.

The rest of my thoughts on it are here - http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2014/8/25_Is_the_East_the_Least_-_Part_2.html

Of course the best six make the playoffs in an eight team league. It's impossible for that to not occur. It's a different playing field in a nine team league when a Western team HAS to miss the playoffs.

I still don't understand why the thinking that it will even out in the end holds water. Of course in an East vs East game someone wins and as a result an East team will finish with a semi-decent record. What this scheduling has shown us is that that team simply isn't likely very good. So what if Montreal beats Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto once? Beating bad teams does not automatically make you a good one.

Looking at the schedule, there are only 13 East vs East games left, meaning that the East Conference may only produce 13 more wins this year.  

If the East cannot beat the west in interdivision games, that would result in an average of 3 more wins for each of the East teams.

If anything it's the owners that should be upset... it's likely a team with 5-6 wins will host a playoff game while a team with 9-10 wins won't even make the playoffs...

You gotta go back a bit but the last time there was an imbalance this ridiculous was 1981... Calgary (W5) had six wins while Ottawa (E2) had 5 and Montreal (E3) had 3..... so it seems like it's an anomaly....

Let's see how good the west division is when they start playing each other before over reacting to one half of one season why not?

Modified.

I've gone back and forth on this over the last two weeks - which would do more damage to the overall health and prosperity of the CFL?  The NFL moving into Toronto or the league switching to one division.  I've got to say, one division has a strong lead right now.

Let's see how good the west division is when they start playing each other before over reacting to one season why not?

Some of the teams already have. BC, Edmonton, and Saskatchewan have 2 West wins. Winnipeg and Calgary have 1.

West vs. West standings:

1. Edmonton| 2-1| 4 points

2. Saskatchewan| 2-1| 4 points

3. BC| 2-2| 4 points

4. Calgary| 1-1| 2 points

5. Winnipeg| 1-2| 2 points

Edmonton beat BC and Winnipeg| Saskatchewan beat BC and Winnipeg| BC beat Calgary and Saskatchewan| Calgary beat Edmonton| Winnipeg beat BC