Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

Atomic

Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

• Yes
    • No

If you truly feel we are one or 2 pieces and free agent pieces at that away from making the playoffs... I honestly don't know what to say.. I think you are kind of kidding yourself a bit there though.

I guess, fact is... we aren't even close.

Not sure why you think a team who couldn't make the playoffs in the weakest division in all of sports before (the southeast) has a chance or is one or 2 pieces away from making it in one of the toughest divisions in hockey now...

I guess, why do you think a team who basically finishes .500 is one or 2 players away from winning in the play-offs? 

And you still think Chevy is doing a good job??  Wow.  3 years on the job and hasn't given us a team that is even close to the playoffs.  Wonderful..  Don't worry, I already know the response.  "It would have been impossible for Chevy to turn this team around in 3 years."  What an absolute loser mentality.

Anyways, you are totally missing the point.  A couple free agents would make this team better.  Its not about winning in the playoffs or not, it's simply about making the team better.  What argument do you have against making the team better by signing a couple players?

What about names those couple players. 

And you still think Chevy is doing a good job??  Wow.  3 years on the job and hasn't given us a team that is even close to the playoffs.  Wonderful..  Don't worry, I already know the response.  "It would have been impossible for Chevy to turn this team around in 3 years."  What an absolute loser mentality.

Anyways, you are totally missing the point.  A couple free agents would make this team better.  Its not about winning in the playoffs or not, it's simply about making the team better.  What argument do you have against making the team better by signing a couple players?

We were close two seasons ago. We were in the race last season too until Scheifele got hurt. I don't think we're as far away as you do. With the exception of our current starting goalie, I don't mind the team we have. We're by no means great, but I think we're improving.

Of course Chevy could do more. Only Dean Lombardi did enough with his team to win a Cup last season. I agree with you that we could be a bit more active in FA. I think a guy like Downie, for example, would have really helped us. We could stand to have a little crazy in the lineup, and he can play some hockey. He could play on any line.

We were close two seasons ago. We were in the race last season too until Scheifele got hurt. I don't think we're as far away as you do. With the exception of our current starting goalie, I don't mind the team we have. We're by no means great, but I think we're improving.

Of course Chevy could do more. Only Dean Lombardi did enough with his team to win a Cup last season. I agree with you that we could be a bit more active in FA. I think a guy like Downie, for example, would have really helped us. We could stand to have a little crazy in the lineup, and he can play some hockey. He could play on any line.

Man I don't think we're that far off either.  That is Goalie that made that comment, not me.  I believe we are close, I liked the team with Scheifele healthy after Maurice arrived.  I just think we could use a couple more pieces to put us over the top.  Downie is a great example.  Really, ANYONE would be better than Tangradi.

Anytime anyone criticizes Chevy, the response is "We're trying to build something, we can't mortgage the future on free agents."  Like a couple free agents will totally cripple the team.  It is absurd.  Chevy has tried to add players and failed.  He needs to do a better job of selling Winnipeg.  Everyone knew that would be the case when the Jets came back.  No, you can't force a player to sign here.  But I refuse to believe that Chevy has done everything he possibly can to improve this team.

The problem with exclusively building through the draft is that 29 other teams are doing the same thing.  You have to find a way to be better than them.  And so far, I haven't seen it.

If you truly feel we are one or 2 pieces and free agent pieces at that away from making the playoffs... I honestly don't know what to say.. I think you are kind of kidding yourself a bit there though.

I guess, fact is... we aren't even close.

Not sure why you think a team who couldn't make the playoffs in the weakest division in all of sports before (the southeast) has a chance or is one or 2 pieces away from making it in one of the toughest divisions in hockey now...

I guess, why do you think a team who basically finishes .500 is one or 2 players away from winning in the play-offs? 

What about names those couple players. 

Players still available or players who were available that Chevy missed out on?  The first list is unfortunately small because it is late in free agency, but the latter list is huge.  Legwand, Roy, Richards, Winnik, Cammaleri, Vanek, Kulemin, Grabovski, Raymond, Vrbata, Hemski.... you trying to tell me none of these players could help the Jets???  Get real.

Big salary guys who are over the hill?  Would you not rather the salary dollars going to the young guys who will be part of the team for the next 5 plus years?

Did Chicago become a power house purely based on free agent signings?

You only pay top dollars for those name guys *if* you are on the cusp of winning the cup and only are missing a piece or two.      Do you really think with Vanek signed that the Jets then are among the elite??? 

Get real.

So we are supposed to wait until we draft our own Jonathon Toews, Patrick Kane, and Duncan Keith?? Sorry but we're not getting those guys while drafting in the 8-13 spots. I like Scheifele and Trouba but they are not the same caliber of player as Toews and Keith, not by a long shot.

This idea that you don't add free agents until you are on the cusp of a Stanley Cup is just plain ridiculous. You try to improve every year. We don't have anyone in St Johns ready to come up and contribute so what would it hurt to add a quality older player on a short term deal? Such as a Derek Roy or Brad Richards. Who are we waiting on? It's going to be a couple more years til we start seeing real results from the Draft so why not sign a couple players in the meantime?? Make the team a little more competitive and maybe give them a taste of the playoffs so when the young guys are finally ready, they aren't stepping onto a team in he midst of a ten year playoff drought.

So we are supposed to wait until we draft our own Jonathon Toews, Patrick Kane, and Duncan Keith?? Sorry but we're not getting those guys while drafting in the 8-13 spots. I like Scheifele and Trouba but they are not the same caliber of player as Toews and Keith, not by a long shot.

Duncan Keith was drafted in the 2nd round.... Outside of Doughty and Peitrangelo how many top defensemen are actually taken in those top spots anyway? A hell of a lot of them come from the middle of the first round. 

This idea that you don't add free agents until you are on the cusp of a Stanley Cup is just plain ridiculous. You try to improve every year. We don't have anyone in St Johns ready to come up and contribute so what would it hurt to add a quality older player on a short term deal? Such as a Derek Roy or Brad Richards. Who are we waiting on? It's going to be a couple more years til we start seeing real results from the Draft so why not sign a couple players in the meantime?? Make the team a little more competitive and maybe give them a taste of the playoffs so when the young guys are finally ready, they aren't stepping onto a team in he midst of a ten year playoff drought.

Duncan Keith was a 2nd round pick. He didn't become a star player until his mid 20s. Trouba has a shot to get to his level. I see Scheifele as having a Jason Spezza level top end.

Our farm team went to the Finals last season. There must be a few guys down there worth a look. As for Roy, he would be our 4th best centre. Richards, judging by the contract he signed, only wanted to go to a team that has the best chance to win. Factor in their need for a 2nd line centre and it was a perfect match.

. I see Scheifele as having a Jason Spezza level top end.

under rating Spezza or over rating Schiefele? I don't like that comparison one bit. 

But here's some other interesting names for people to consider since Toews and Kane like to get brought up because of the Hawks winning ways... Kopitar was something like 11th overall, Bergeron was a 2nd round pick, Mike Richards was a later first round pick (though that was a freakishly good draft year), Getzlaf was a mid-late first rounder (but again stupidly good draft year) Claude Giroux was a late first round pick. We could go on but I think the point stands. You don't NEED the really high draft picks to get top players... it helps no doubt but if you have good development you can get good players anyway. 

. I see Scheifele as having a Jason Spezza level top end.

under rating Spezza or over rating Schiefele? I don't like that comparison one bit. 

Neither. Spezza had three great seasons. IMO Scheifele's top end is what Spezza was over the rest of his career.

The rest of Spezzas career was pretty ******* good too though except for injuries...73 in 82, 57 in 60, 57 in 62, 84 in 80, hell even 66 in 75 last year. This is a guy who had a few seasons over PPG and then hovered around or just below PPG the rest of the time. I don't see Scheifele reaching that level for more than a short spurt. 

People get very emotional.  The people who bash chevy need to explain exactly what they would do if they were GM.  "Duuuhhhh, I'd trade for Crosby..."  "Duuuhhhh I'd sign the three best free agents no matter what it cose..."  "Duuuhhhh I'd draft the top five players in the league..."

Dont just whine if you cant offer a different perspective.

The Halischuk signing is actually a good signing.  They let his contract expire and didnt offer a qualifying, then picked him up on a two-way deal.  So when people say our bottom six depth is an issue, this is a smart move to add that depth and help out St Johns and be financially prudent.  I'd rather have this player than Tanner Glass for $1 million or whatever he got.

I would have liked us to be in on Peter Mueller.  And maybe we were.  I think the idea that no one wants to play here is a bit overblown but I think there are a few teams that have to pay a bit more to attract guys, Winnipeg being one of them.  And that probably has less to do with any one thing like Weather or location as it does with the team on the ice which, when winning, can make the weather and location seem a bit less rough.

I think the Jets are willing to spend money when the time is right.  We can sit back and say we're wasting Ladd, Little, Wheeler but really, is that the group that is going to get us over the top with the addition of a few big players?  Yes, we have a few good guys around 30 years old, but we have a few better guys in their early 20's.  Thats the "core" we should be focusing on and I think we are.  They want to see Kane, Scheif, Bogo, trouba, Hutch, Morrissey, Lowry etc continue to get better and then you will see more complimentary trades.

I also think Jets management has a very specific vision which is why it sometimes seems to us that nothing is happening.  Whereas other teams might be in on every player, the Jets want to stick with their plan.  And that plan might be to rely on a guy like Lowry rather than sign a journeyman who will win that spot and relegate Lowry to the Rock for another year.

As for Penner, I'd be interested in him.  Im not sure he fits the Jets' effort/speed desires but as a depth move, I'd be happy with it.  I think Buff is playing the LW this year though.  In fact I think our forward group is:

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Buff-Scheif-Wheeler

Kane-Perrault-??? (maybe Lowry)

Halischuk-Slater-Tangradi

Not exactly world beaters but for talent on ice, it's an improvment over last season assumuing Perrault is better than Jokinen and better for guys arund him (ie. Kane), that Scheif continues to improve, that Wheeler plays the whole season, that Frolik is now comfortable and playing for a contract and we get a couple of big performances from young guys.  I expect us to compete for the Playsoffs the same way we did last year..maybe in tough, but pushing.

Jets have been in on big free agents so you cant say they havent tried. 

People get very emotional.  The people who bash chevy need to explain exactly what they would do if they were GM.  "Duuuhhhh, I'd trade for Crosby..."  "Duuuhhhh I'd sign the three best free agents no matter what it cose..."  "Duuuhhhh I'd draft the top five players in the league..."

I don't know why you always have to get personal in every debate on here.  Really strange behavior.  I make comments on Chevy and instead of refuting them you have to turn to mocking me.  Real nice.

I believe I will just avoid this forum from now on.  It is clear that differing opinions are not welcome.  You guys can have your 3 posts in each thread where you all agree that the Jets and Chevy are infallible, shake hands, and close the topic down.  I thought we were looking for discussion here but it turns out I was wrong.

I don't know why you always have to get personal in every debate on here.  Really strange behavior.  I make comments on Chevy and instead of refuting them you have to turn to mocking me.  Real nice.

I believe I will just avoid this forum from now on.  It is clear that differing opinions are not welcome.  You guys can have your 3 posts in each thread where you all agree that the Jets and Chevy are infallible, shake hands, and close the topic down.  I thought we were looking for discussion here but it turns out I was wrong.

That wasnt a personal shot at you at all though I do find it amusing you took it as such.  It was a general statement about overly-emotional Jets fans who fly off the handle without actually thinking about the situation with any sort of common sense or logic.

My instinct when I heard the Frolik signing was probably the same - I thought it sucked and was bad and meant guys didnt want to be here.  But once I got over it, I gave more thought.  Its why I actually like Lawless because he generally chews through the emotional nonsense and makes valid points that the emotional fans (many of whom are his listeners) dont like.

When you listen to people call into the H&L and they rip on the Jets or Bombers, Lawless usually asks questions that stump the caller because they havent actually given it any thought.

Im all for signing Dustin Penner too.  But I understand why the Jets might not want him.  How many people call Chevy a failure for the Gooch signing who heralded it as a great move at the time?  Fans are fickle and rarely honest with themselves about reality.

The Jets have always said they want to be successful but its going to be through the draft.  I heard someone on 1290 make a great point - Chevy says a lot of things that other GM's say about drafting and development and patience.  The difference is, Chevy actually does what he says whereas many other GM's bow to pressure or go for that quick fix and it doesnt work out.

Chevy is doing a great job drafting...

I do think letting Jokinen go was a mistake - we had capspace for $2.5 million and honestly, that rate is fine for a fourth line centre... would rather have Jokinen as our backup plan than Slater.

Perrault is a very nice signing, Galiardi - meh...

As for signings... the worst thing we could do is bring in Dustin Penner - we already have him in Byfuglien - don't need two over-sized underachievers.

Del Zotto would be a great addition - I think Maurice could really get that guy back in form

As old as he is, Handzus is an upgrade over Slater.

Would look at Jamie McBain, Bissonnette.

Glance at Leino and Sarich.  Could be value for low $$... or cheap healthy scratches.

Guess i'll just say 2.5 million for a 4th line centre? No thanks, that's not how it works really. Jokinen didn't want to be a 4th line centre, heck he probably didn't even want to be a 3rd line centre, Jokinen was a stop gap until Scheifele was ready, now that he had a year under his belt, jokinen became irrelevant and perreault is an upgrade and younger than Jokinen.

Jets main issue is the bottom 6, their top 6 does a good job and basically have carried the team the last couple seasons really, first year we were really just a one line team (ladd,little,wheeler) (same with year 2 really), last season, 2 lines showed up most nights... the bottom 6 hasn't been productive though their entire time here. 

Fix the bottom 6 and the team will be better. Perreault is an upgrade to our bottom 6, Who will be his wingers? who knows, Could maybe even see guys like kosmachuk and or ehlers or both step up in camp and make it impossible for the Jets to send down to junior and the AHL. Kosmachuk could turn out to be that 3rd line winger. Dude is a beast and looked good at the rookie camp. Him and Ehlers had quite the chemistry there. Do i expect those 2 on the roster this year? Not really but who knows. 

All i know is, the teams who generally spend spend spend in the off-season, well, it doesn't really mean much when the season starts.

I'll even say that last year at the deadline when st louis traded for miller, people were like, experts too, they were all like, that is the missing piece for the blues... how did that turn out again? 

Guess i'll just say 2.5 million for a 4th line centre? No thanks, that's not how it works really. Jokinen didn't want to be a 4th line centre, heck he probably didn't even want to be a 3rd line centre, Jokinen was a stop gap until Scheifele was ready, now that he had a year under his belt, jokinen became irrelevant and perreault is an upgrade and younger than Jokinen.

Jets main issue is the bottom 6, their top 6 does a good job and basically have carried the team the last couple seasons really, first year we were really just a one line team (ladd,little,wheeler) (same with year 2 really), last season, 2 lines showed up most nights... the bottom 6 hasn't been productive though their entire time here. 

Fix the bottom 6 and the team will be better. Perreault is an upgrade to our bottom 6, Who will be his wingers? who knows, Could maybe even see guys like kosmachuk and or ehlers or both step up in camp and make it impossible for the Jets to send down to junior and the AHL. Kosmachuk could turn out to be that 3rd line winger. Dude is a beast and looked good at the rookie camp. Him and Ehlers had quite the chemistry there. Do i expect those 2 on the roster this year? Not really but who knows. 

All i know is, the teams who generally spend spend spend in the off-season, well, it doesn't really mean much when the season starts.

I'll even say that last year at the deadline when st louis traded for miller, people were like, experts too, they were all like, that is the missing piece for the blues... how did that turn out again? 

I'm lost here... earlier in the thread, you say we are 'more than two guys' away from being a legit playoff team and then you say all we need to do is fix the bottom six and that Halischuk is a good depth signing.

So right now we have

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Kane-Scheifele-Wheeler

Buff-Perrault-O'Dell(?)

Halischuk-Slater-Galiardi

I would have kept Jokinen because him, Buff and Wheeler had some chemistry late in the season.  Jokinen would have stayed and signed for only $500k more than Slater.

Would love to hear your actual suggestion instead of your complaints about other posters imaginary theories...

The bottom 6 needs an upgrade for the Jets to compete on a regular basis, that's 6 guys, that is more than 2. They need a goalie also, that's 7. Could actually use a legit 2nd line winger instead of frolik who is probably best suited on the bottom 6.

Ladd,Little,???

Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

??, Perreault, Frolik

??,??,??

On D they could use a #2 LHD, maybe that's morrissey but if it's not this year, it's clitsome and that's not good enough, if clitsome isn't ready, who is it?

So yup more than 2 players for sure, not sure why you think jokinen would have signed here for the same thing he did in Nashville, in Nashville, he's the number 1 or 2 centre, here he would have been the 4th line centre... not sure why you think he would have signed here for the same when the opportunity to play more minutes in Nashville i'm sure was the deciding factor. Dude has all the money he needs, it's not always about money for some players, it's about getting the chance to play more minutes, here he's not a top 6 player, in Nashville he is. Bottom line really. 

You have some anger issues tho there floyd, should probably settle down a wee bit, talk about me getting my "panties" in a bunch? that's a nice thing to say by the way, what the heck are you doing then? 

The bottom 6 needs an upgrade for the Jets to compete on a regular basis, that's 6 guys, that is more than 2. They need a goalie also, that's 7. Could actually use a legit 2nd line winger instead of frolik who is probably best suited on the bottom 6.

Ladd,Little,???

Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

??, Perreault, Frolik

??,??,??

On D they could use a #2 LHD, maybe that's morrissey but if it's not this year, it's clitsome and that's not good enough, if clitsome isn't ready, who is it?

So yup more than 2 players for sure, not sure why you think jokinen would have signed here for the same thing he did in Nashville, in Nashville, he's the number 1 or 2 centre, here he would have been the 4th line centre... not sure why you think he would have signed here for the same when the opportunity to play more minutes in Nashville i'm sure was the deciding factor. Dude has all the money he needs, it's not always about money for some players, it's about getting the chance to play more minutes, here he's not a top 6 player, in Nashville he is. Bottom line really. 

You have some anger issues tho there floyd, should probably settle down a wee bit, talk about me getting my "panties" in a bunch? that's a nice thing to say by the way, what the heck are you doing then? 

No anger issues at all... did you see an angry emoticon?  More like bewilderment emoticons if I could find them...  just trying to figure out what point you are arguing.

So... two free agent signings would have improved the top nine of this team after all.  Or are you fielding a lineup that will not make the playoffs...?

And I see you traded Buff.  

It depends how they deploy their top six. Buff was mostly a RW but ended the season at LW and played a lot better (in my opinion). But that loads the left side and leaves a too six RW hole.

Lawless thinks it's Buff - Scheif - Wheeler which makes a lot of sense. But again, it leaves a RW hole. If we assume Ladd - Little -Frolik is a lock I'm just not sure.

It depends how they deploy their top six. Buff was mostly a RW but ended the season at LW and played a lot better (in my opinion). But that loads the left side and leaves a too six RW hole.

Lawless thinks it's Buff - Scheif - Wheeler which makes a lot of sense. But again, it leaves a RW hole. If we assume Ladd - Little -Frolik is a lock I'm just not sure.

I really like the idea of a Buff- Scheifele - Wheeler line.  Here is how I see the 23 man roster shaking down, if the season started today:

Ladd - Little - Frolik

Buff - Scheifele - Wheeler

Kane - Perreault - Halischuk

Galiardi - Slater - Thorburn

Tangradi - Peluso

Enstrom - Bogosian

Stuart - Trouba

Clitsome - Postma

Pardy

Pavelec - Hutchinson

I know Galiardi has played some right wing and centre as well, so it's possible he could slot in on the third line, pushing Halischuk onto the fourth line or into reserve with Tangradi on the fourth line.  It would really be a matter of who can play best with Kane and Perreault.  On paper this gives us 3 solid scoring lines.

I guess my biggest issue with Chevy after reflecting upon the last 3+ yrs of his leadership is that there doesn't appear to be any strong plan in place to get better - and not just have a better system and prospects - but actually have better results.

Clearly, they haven't done enough to bring in talent from outside the organization. This is really no debate. We can debate expectations and the 'ol would he/woulnd't he come here, end of the day pretty safe to say that 0 high impact players have been brought in. When Michael Frolik is your only substantial acquisiton and when you've NEVER completed a player-for-player trade it shows you're involvement in free agency and the trade market is essentially non-existent.

The draft-and-develop blueprint I totally buy into - for both the state of our franchise, and market, this seems appropriate. Problem here is Chevy has aquired the exact same amount of picks as he's traded away - so when people within the organization or outside say we're building through the draft, it's not really the full picture. We're drafting well, but not enough.

Sum it up and my fear with this team is that by the end of this season or next we'll be looking to pull the chord on Chevy and have the same lingering questions we did before these were the Jets: Is the core good enough, is Pavelec a legit starter, how good is Buff, Kane etc. Finishing one or 2 spots outside the playoff line is easily the worst place to finish - you're not drafting high enough, and your fans don't get postseason hockey. Given that we've yet to see playoffs anyway, would it not have made more sense to deal a Byfuglien, a Ladd, an asset that can bring back draft picks and prospects. Get worse now to get better moving forward. Yes, hindsight is 20/20....just feels more and more like we had our eyes closed and were hoping for the best the last few yrs...do the same thing and hope for better results - not a good enough method to win, especially not when you have Chi, St.L, Col and Dal in the division.

/rant

I guess my biggest issue with Chevy after reflecting upon the last 3+ yrs of his leadership is that there doesn't appear to be any strong plan in place to get better - and not just have a better system and prospects - but actually have better results.

Clearly, they haven't done enough to bring in talent from outside the organization. This is really no debate. We can debate expectations and the 'ol would he/woulnd't he come here, end of the day pretty safe to say that 0 high impact players have been brought in. When Michael Frolik is your only substantial acquisiton and when you've NEVER completed a player-for-player trade it shows you're involvement in free agency and the trade market is essentially non-existent.

The draft-and-develop blueprint I totally buy into - for both the state of our franchise, and market, this seems appropriate. Problem here is Chevy has aquired the exact same amount of picks as he's traded away - so when people within the organization or outside say we're building through the draft, it's not really the full picture. We're drafting well, but not enough.

Sum it up and my fear with this team is that by the end of this season or next we'll be looking to pull the chord on Chevy and have the same lingering questions we did before these were the Jets: Is the core good enough, is Pavelec a legit starter, how good is Buff, Kane etc. Finishing one or 2 spots outside the playoff line is easily the worst place to finish - you're not drafting high enough, and your fans don't get postseason hockey. Given that we've yet to see playoffs anyway, would it not have made more sense to deal a Byfuglien, a Ladd, an asset that can bring back draft picks and prospects. Get worse now to get better moving forward. Yes, hindsight is 20/20....just feels more and more like we had our eyes closed and were hoping for the best the last few yrs...do the same thing and hope for better results - not a good enough method to win, especially not when you have Chi, St.L, Col and Dal in the division.

/rant

Fantastic post, I feel the same way.

Here's my argument to that.

I really do feel the Jets have a plan.  And they will stay loyal to their plan no matter what.  The exception might be a game-changing free agent.  We know they inquired on Parise.  We believe they made a massive offer to Stastny. 

But the plan is to keep the core players and make the team better through positive draft and development.  They accentuate the core with minor pick ups, waiver wire and free agency. 

The issue some people have is 'why hasnt Chevy made a player for player trade to make the Jets better'.  The answer is, it wouldnt make the Jets better.  Most fans propose trades where they ship spare parts for all stars but that doesnt work in the real world.  The Jets' most tradeable assets are players we want here, not somewhere else.  The teams that get the spare parts they need to put themselves over the top are either flush with talent they can trade (ie. they have an abundance of right handed D so they trade one for two forwards etc) or they are packaging a player and picks.

Making a trade might make the team better but at what cost?  We could trade Trouba right now for a package that would make us better this season.  Do we want to do that?  Or do we want Trouba to become an all star in Winnipeg and make us better two seasons from now?

Yes, we could trade Kane or Buff.  Trading Kane is unlikely to make us better right now but might make us better next season or the season after.  Buff might us better right now and I'd argue he should be the number one trade bait.  But realistically, the Jets arent one or two players away.  When we get to the point where we're one or two players away, Chevy will make trades.  Just watch.