Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

Atomic

Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

• Yes
    • No

Ive never heard one player express unhappiness with being in Winnipeg.  Sure, for the most part, no player ever would.  But even when the team was in Atlanta, you didnt year any complain.  I remember Buff signing that long term deal and being asked "what if the team moves to Winnipeg" and he said "close to home, great fans". 

The Bombers actually relied upon some players recruiting because the franchise had such a poor rep after the past few years.  Korey Banks in particular directly led to other guys coming here (Nick Moore, I believe).  So that happens.

Exactly!  But it has never stopped Chevy-supporters from claiming he can't sign free agents because no one wants to play here.  We hear that all the time.

This season will be Chevy's real test... trade deadline will see us either dealing picks for a playoff run or trading Kane and Buff for players/picks rebuild.  Can't sit tight on this core much longer.

Pretty disappointed Jets weren't in on just one decent top six signing though.  I would say that the cupboard is no longer bare... we have enough prospects

Dallas-Jets comparison is pretty interesting... Lehtonen was pretty similar to Pavelec before he got to Dallas - if Pavs does not show up to camp showing that he has actually trained this summer, then its time to cut bait.

This season will be Chevy's real test... trade deadline will see us either dealing picks for a playoff run or trading Kane and Buff for players/picks rebuild.  Can't sit tight on this core much longer.

Pretty disappointed Jets weren't in on just one decent top six signing though.  I would say that the cupboard is no longer bare... we have enough prospects

Dallas-Jets comparison is pretty interesting... Lehtonen was pretty similar to Pavelec before he got to Dallas - if Pavs does not show up to camp showing that he has actually trained this summer, then its time to cut bait.

To me, this sums it all up. Another year of non-action could be (even more) detrimental to this team. Clearly this offseason was not deemed the time to decide whether they're a) a team that's close, a piece or 2 away from playoffs year in year out or B) closer to a rebuild, in need of more picks (esp high end / 1st rounders), aka Our Core Isn't Good Enough. The only decision out of Jets HQ that's been crystal clear is that they're approaching this season like they have each of the past 3; very little changeover and hoping for improvement from within.

I don't think you'll find any logic to suggest we'd be in a playoff run come trade deadline - if that happens, suffice to say some significant players would have to be significantly better than they've been or are expected to be - Pavelec, Bogosian, Kane immediately come to mind. Even if the Jets are much better than expected, I think they'll be a ways out by then unless a central division team regresses big time.

The Dallas vs. Wpg debate may have been interesting last year - but this year? They have Seguin, Spezza, Eakin and Horcoff down the middle - maybe the most deep at C league-wide. Their "core" vs ours = not even a debate, their's wins in a landslide.

To me, this sums it all up. Another year of non-action could be (even more) detrimental to this team. Clearly this offseason was not deemed the time to decide whether they're a) a team that's close, a piece or 2 away from playoffs year in year out or B) closer to a rebuild, in need of more picks (esp high end / 1st rounders), aka Our Core Isn't Good Enough. The only decision out of Jets HQ that's been crystal clear is that they're approaching this season like they have each of the past 3; very little changeover and hoping for improvement from within.

I don't think you'll find any logic to suggest we'd be in a playoff run come trade deadline - if that happens, suffice to say some significant players would have to be significantly better than they've been or are expected to be - Pavelec, Bogosian, Kane immediately come to mind. Even if the Jets are much better than expected, I think they'll be a ways out by then unless a central division team regresses big time.

The Dallas vs. Wpg debate may have been interesting last year - but this year? They have Seguin, Spezza, Eakin and Horcoff down the middle - maybe the most deep at C league-wide. Their "core" vs ours = not even a debate, their's wins in a landslide.

We might disagree about the quality of their bottom six...  Cole, Horcoff, Garbutt... meh

If Scheif steps up, all of a sudden our centre lineup is decent - Perrault is as good or better than Eakin.

Basically the whole season relies on Scheifele and Kane getting better.

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Kane-Scheif-ODell(?)

Buff-Perrault-Wheeler

Halischuk-Slater-Galiardi

I liked ODell's chemistry with Kane and Scheif - I think this top 9 could get us into the playoffs.  Fourth line is still pretty suspect - and one or two injuries will sink this team.

They have Seguin, Spezza, Eakin and Horcoff down the middle - maybe the most deep at C league-wide. 

LOL not even. Eakin is a nice bottom 6 centre but lots of teams have those guys, Horcoff though is an old guy who is fading really really fast. I mean he was playing like a legit top line centre for a couple years in Edmonton, but that's only a few years shy of being a decade ago, he's not anywhere close to the same player. 

We might disagree about the quality of their bottom six...  Cole, Horcoff, Garbutt... meh

If Scheif steps up, all of a sudden our centre lineup is decent - Perrault is as good or better than Eakin.

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Kane-Scheif-ODell(?)

Buff-Perrault-Wheeler

I liked ODell's chemistry with Kane and Scheif - I think this top 9 could get us into the playoffs.  Fourth line is still pretty suspect - and one or two injuries will sink this team.

At 24 yrs old, with all of 30 games and 3 NHL goals under his belt, I'm not sure O'Dell is 2nd line material - esp if Kane and Sheif are as important as you're suggesting.

They have Seguin, Spezza, Eakin and Horcoff down the middle - maybe the most deep at C league-wide. 

LOL not even. Eakin is a nice bottom 6 centre but lots of teams have those guys, Horcoff though is an old guy who is fading really really fast. I mean he was playing like a legit top line centre for a couple years in Edmonton, but that's only a few years shy of being a decade ago, he's not anywhere close to the same player. 

I think you're underrating Eakin. He's the prototypical 3rd line grinder with some speed and finishing ability. I'm without direct references, but I recall Dallas staff speaking glowingly of his progress last season.

Agree completely with your points about Horcoff.... that's why I'd love him on my 4th line. He's been there, done that, and while of course not the player he once was, in a real pinch he could move up the depth chart. We're relying on a guy who can't stay healthy or score. Love Slater, but HE'S our best 4th liner right now....and that's no good...

I think you're underrating Eakin. He's the prototypical 3rd line grinder with some speed and finishing ability. I'm without direct references, but I recall Dallas staff speaking glowingly of his progress last season.

Agree completely with your points about Horcoff.... that's why I'd love him on my 4th line. He's been there, done that, and while of course not the player he once was, in a real pinch he could move up the depth chart. We're relying on a guy who can't stay healthy or score. Love Slater, but HE'S our best 4th liner right now....and that's no good...

No I'm not under rating him at all, I like him, he's a good bottom 6 centre, but there's lots of teams out there that have good bottom 6 centres like that. 

As for Horcoff, you could try moving him up the lineup but it won't look pretty. He's lost his speed and lost whatever finishing ability he once had. I was a fan of his at one point but it was just all kinds of sad watching him trying to contribute to the Oilers. He's a bottom line guy at this point who can't handle bigger responsibilities anymore. 

Dallas I think is being over rated a bit just because of the way their top 6 forwards look. There's a hell of a lot of offensive talent there, but I'm not sure the balance is all that great in that group. Neither of those centres are exactly defensive stalwarts and when teams like LA and Chicago and Boston are the teams having the most success and their top 6 centres have that great 2 way game I don't know that Dallas compares. Hell I think I like Chicagos centre depth more since they added Brad Richards, Boston still has good centre depth, the Pens probably do have the best with Crosby and Malkin at 1 and 2 then follow it up with Sutter at 3... 

Im not sure Odell is good enough to be an NHL regular.

I would question not trading Buff by next summer.  Unless he has a huge year for us ofcourse, in which case Chevy is a genius for keeping him.  But to me, the upside to trading Buff far outweighs the benefits to keeping him.

Well, that would kind of depend on what is coming back the other way.

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Kane-Scheif-ODell(?)

Buff-Perrault-Wheeler

At 24 yrs old, with all of 30 games and 3 NHL goals under his belt, I'm not sure O'Dell is 2nd line material - esp if Kane and Sheif are as important as you're suggesting.

If Galiardi, Halischuk, Tangradi end up on the 4th line, thats a pretty good improvement for the bottom 3

I would question not trading Buff by next summer.  Unless he has a huge year for us ofcourse, in which case Chevy is a genius for keeping him.  But to me, the upside to trading Buff far outweighs the benefits to keeping him.

Absolutely.  But Buff is subject to the laws of diminising returns.  His size and age work against him.  He's still one of the best offensive D-men in the NHL and probably the most unique player, the only bonafide hybrid player currently (regular Offensive player and Defensemen on Special Teams).  There has long been rumours of teams being very interested in him which would presume that the return would be significant.  So trade him.  By the time Buff's skills put the Jets over the top, his skills wont put the Jets over the top.  If that makes sense...he's our most tradeable asset.

Look at guys like King or Pearson in L.A. - I wouldn't say they are great individual players but because they are on a line with Carter or Stoll, etc - they play better, their development advances.  I think O'Dell can play at that level.

Buff and Wheeler have chemistry, Kane and Scheif should work well together and elevate the third player on that line

Again, I would rather see Jokinen as our fourth line centre - I believe he would have stayed but that point has been debated already...

In a perfect world, I'd love to see this come out of camp...  I would add Petan but no way Chevy rushes him.

Ladd-Little-Frolik

Kane-Scheif-ODell

Buff-Perrault-Wheeler

Tangradi-Lowry-Kosmachuk

Trouba-Stuart

Enstrom-Morrissey

Bogo-Pardy

Hutchinson

Pavelec

Absolutely.  But Buff is subject to the laws of diminising returns.  His size and age work against him.  He's still one of the best offensive D-men in the NHL and probably the most unique player, the only bonafide hybrid player currently (regular Offensive player and Defensemen on Special Teams).  There has long been rumours of teams being very interested in him which would presume that the return would be significant.  So trade him.  By the time Buff's skills put the Jets over the top, his skills wont put the Jets over the top.  If that makes sense...he's our most tradeable asset.

Yeah, you make a good point.  Especially if we are out of the race by trade deadline time... I can see Buff being a really attractive piece for a team gearing up for a playoff run.  Nobody needs to be reminded of Buff's impact in the playoffs for Chicago all those years ago.  But I am a big-time Byfuglien fan and I'd hate to see him go... hopefully we are good enough this year that we aren't having a fire-sale at the deadline.

Yeah, you make a good point.  Especially if we are out of the race by trade deadline time... I can see Buff being a really attractive piece for a team gearing up for a playoff run.  Nobody needs to be reminded of Buff's impact in the playoffs for Chicago all those years ago.  But I am a big-time Byfuglien fan and I'd hate to see him go... hopefully we are good enough this year that we aren't having a fire-sale at the deadline.

Buff's impact was as a third line winger...

Hmm you'll have to finish that thought.  Not sure what you're getting at.

Think i've changed my mind on Buff a wee bit, think he would sign here. He doesn't really speak to the media, keeps to himself, he enjoys fishing and rumours are he likes ice fishing here in the winter time, the guys home is like seriously 3 hours away. Buff is a good player, we will see how Maurice uses him but him and wheeler were developing nice chemistry at the end of the season. When asked about moving to winnipeg he said "close to home, passionate fans". I get the impression that buff prefers playing in a small market over a bigger one, If i had to guess, i'd strongly guess that if buff has a few teams on his no trade list, it's teams like Toronto, Montreal, New York and even Philly. Seems to me like he likes being in a small market that is very close to his home in Minnesota. 

Hmm you'll have to finish that thought.  Not sure what you're getting at.

Nothing too earth-shattering... just that Buff is one of those underachievers that turns it on in the playoffs, aka Dustin Penner

Pretty much agreeing with you - I think Buff's value is highest at trade deadline for a team bolstering their playoff run

Gotta agree that Buff, if he doesn't want to resign here, should be moved at the deadline this season or next even, preferably this cuz 2015 is a better draft class and i think a team would probably give up a 1st round pick and a prospect for him, if they felt they needed him to legit compete for the cup. Always thought Anaheim or Tampa Bay would be good fits for Buff and they have some pretty solid prospects actually who are Probably if not, are very close to being NHL ready but really no place for them on the big clubs roster. 

Doesnt matter if Buff would sign here.  I dont think thats the issue at all.  The Jets shouldnt be keeping every player who wants to come to WInnipeg.  I have little doubt Buff would resign here.  He doesnt seem to have an ego about it and he signed his contract in Atlanta when it seemed all but certain the team was moving but not certain where.  So he didnt care where he played.  Winnipeg is close to home for him too.

The issue is, what Buff does for the Jets is not going to put us over the top.  By the time the Jets are in a position to have Playoff success with a player like Buff, we'll be lucky if we can get one post-season out of him.  He is worth more now than he will be in one season or two seasons or three seasons.  He's an aging player who happens to be in his prime.  But at his size and lack of fitness, he's not going to be the same type of player at 35.  Trade him now.  While you still can.

I think the other issue with trades this year is, no team wants to trade their first round pick next year on the chance they might be a lottery team.  By the trade deadline or the draft at the latest, teams will have a better idea where they stack and will be more willing to trade their first or second rounders.

Unless the Jets trade Wheeler Little Ladd and Kane, there is no way they get a top 2 pick... Not a chance.

I'd suspect we pick around 7-9 once again. I still feel with a league average goalie, this team can make the play-off. Tanking for McDavid just seems very very very unlikely, however with that being said, If we struggle badly and are in contention for a high pick (i personally like the 2 americans ,eichel and hanifin) but.. if we are in contention for a top 3  pick, I think the team might sell some players at the deadline to ensure they get it, i doubt they can be as bad as Buffalo or other teams like that though. Unless the NHL is gonna throw us a bone like they did to Pittsburgh with Crosby and give us the number 1 pick :P It's possible i suppose but how possible? probably 1 in 1 million, yes i'm saying theres a chance. 

The term he has handed out to some players has been questionable, the Setoguchi trade was awful, and it's too early to make a decision on his drafting. 2 draft picks of his have suited up for the Jets, and they are both first rounders so it's a little pre mature to call his drafting great.

I voted no, based on his questionable moves. Can't blame a guy for the lack of interest FAs have in WPG, but can't assume draft picks are great before they play.