Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

Atomic

Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Cheveldayoff is doing a good job?

• Yes
    • No

It wasn't a signing, he traded a second round pick. A great GM doesn't miss often, so let's hope that was a one-time thing.

I don't understand why GMs are let off the hook when fans say everyone thought it was a good move at the time. It's the GMs JOB to be a step ahead of the fans, and not be thinking on the same level as us. When we make misjudgements it doesn't matter.

Nicolaj Ehlers signed his 3 year entry level contract.

Just gonna say it, not sure what i expect from the JETS this season, think with good to average goaltending we can compete but... regardless, i think maybe 2 or 3 seasons down the line, we might be a pretty damn good team. 

Our youngsters have some pretty high end talent, Give Scheif Trouba Morrissey and Ehlers and maybe a guy like Petan some time and we could be a pretty darn good team, Throw in guys like Bogo, Little,Wheler and maybe a vet like Ladd and i think we will look pretty good in a couple seasons time. 

It would seem like a longshot for him to make the club this year, then again the guy clearly has major offensive upside and speed to burn. *IF* he shows he's ready, maybe we give him an opportunity past the 7 games.

One advantage he has vs. a guy like Scheifele when he came up first in 2011 is that Ehlers can easily out-skate tons of guys in the league already and that could save him from the physical burden he'd have to deal with.

Not comparing Ehlers to Patrick Kane but when Patrick Kane started in the NHL, he weighed less than Ehlers. 

Hey, compare away. We can dream, right? haha.

Kane's now only listed at 180 lbs and gets by more than fine. He played just the one season in Jr. too. Tore it up w/ London, 145 pts in 58 games. Then the very next season, 72 pts in 82 games as a rookie with the Hawks.

....we can dream, right?

I'm more intrigued with what they'll decide to do with Morrissey...

I know you need to be patient bringing up Dmen (see: Bogosian, Zach) but the kid's played 200+ games in junior already. Rushing guys to the show hurts development, but so to does leaving them down too long, no?

Either way, I'm pumped to see him, Petan and hopefully Comrie suiting up for Canada come Christmas.

I'm more intrigued with what they'll decide to do with Morrissey...

I know you need to be patient bringing up Dmen (see: Bogosian, Zach) but the kid's played 200+ games in junior already. Rushing guys to the show hurts development, but so to does leaving them down too long, no?

Either way, I'm pumped to see him, Petan and hopefully Comrie suiting up for Canada come Christmas.

You won't see Morrissey at the world Juniors because he will be on the JETS. He's the one guy i think this year who is guarateed to make the Jets. I think He's ready and if you follow his twitter account, he's been training and busting his ass this whole off season, really expect him to make the team out of camp and stick.. He's very very good. Nate Mckinnon was asked a while ago, if he was the GM of a team and he could pick any player in his draft year other than himself, who would he pick and he said Josh Morrissey. 

Morrissey i bet was close last year and didn't look out of place, I'll say this too, there is a reason the Jets called him up to st johns for the ice caps playoff run and didn't call up guys like petan and comrie. Because Josh is ready now to step in. He didn't look out of place at all. I'm gonna go as far to say that he could be rookie of the year this season. 

Ehlers seems to like his chances to crack main roster but Chevy prolly wants him seasoned up in St. Johns.

That said, he possesses an awful lot of pure talent, whether he's 18, 19 or 20, whether he's 5'11 and 155, 165 or 175.

We'll end up with the guy scoring 25 to 35 goals in St. J and our plutzkies on the 3rd or 4th line with the usual 3 to 8 goals.

Of course, the main reason Chevy will send him down is to protect him physically from NHL monsters trying to scare him off the ice.

Everyone loved the Gooch signing at the time so not hindsight burials. Plus some other team is going to sign him this year.

Gooch is a certified NHL rounder. A 700k guy who won't get a sniff near a 1st or 2nd line. Even in a dumpster program like Calgary. Still might pocket 12 to 15 goals, more than some of our current rounders!

Ehlers seems to like his chances to crack main roster but Chevy prolly wants him seasoned up in St. Johns.

That said, he possesses an awful lot of pure talent, whether he's 18, 19 or 20, whether he's 5'11 and 155, 165 or 175.

We'll end up with the guy scoring 25 to 35 goals in St. J and our plutzkies on the 3rd or 4th line with the usual 3 to 8 goals.

Of course, the main reason Chevy will send him down is to protect him physically from NHL monsters trying to scare him off the ice.

Well, first of all, and i'll just say this because that's really all you need to know, Ehlers can't be sent down to the AHL this season, it's NHL or Junior for him. He's too young to play in the AHL.. it's junior or NHL for him, no St Johns for him cuz he's not eligible to go to St Johns. 

Ehlers is very interesting. He has the talent to make the team this year but his size will be the issue. Would love to see him shock people and make the team and have a good season. Him with Perrault and buff or Frolik could be pretty damn good

And I think Petan has more offensive talent and he's smaller then Ehlers.Like to see them both make it as we could use some offense on 3/4th lines.

• 1 month later...

He has drafted well but its basically Atlanta in Winnipeg still same core players...

To me its simple the Jets won't win until they get a top level Goaltender. Pavs was awful...

He is ranked 41st in save percentage this year and thats the BEST he has ever done.

I just watched the highlights yes lots of 2 on 1s but 44 played them wrong and Pavs looked stupid on 3 of the 4 IMO

Get a new GOALIE...

I dont think PAV played well vs TBAY and i think it's obvious he isn't good enough however just blaming PAV i think isn't fair. Yes the Jets got lots of chances but Tampa had the better chances tonight, The higher percentage chances at least IMO.

Honestly, 3 of those goals, PAV had very little chance, they were very nice plays, the first goal.. No chance, the Drouin goal, gotta give props to was it Fillpulla, that was one hell of a pass, the last goal, again very little chance... I don't think he's good enough but i don't think this team is much better than they are if they had a different goalie. It seems to me when the team is in their own zone, they run around like chickens with their heads cut off, assignments are missed, guys are lazy it seems, and they are soft, i hate lawless and can't stand lawless and order but he said tonight the Jets have a very soft mentality and i think he's bang on, when the other team gets up by a goal or scores first, the Jets become very deflated..  They dominated 2 periods tonight in terms of shots, the third when they should have been playing harder, they seemed to back off a bit. I dunno, I like guys like Scheif, Trouba, Bogo i thought had a good game tonight and has had more good than bad this season, Wheeler is another, Lowry,Perreault...Little, but i do think changes are needed... Guys like Ladd,Buff,Toby even... you need to move them or one or 2 of them at least just to send a message to the rest of the team that what they are doing isn't acceptable. 

I prefer watching the Scheifs,Lowrys,Troubas,Bogos and Littles and Wheelers out there, cuz to me that is the actual core of this team... Ladd and Buff are going through the motions,Buff has so much talent it's crazy, but he just lacks the heart,Ladd, i like him, i do, but its apparent that change is needed in the dressing room, the soft mentality of the team, it needs to be changed. 

To be honest, The jets have scored what? 3 goals once? 6 goals in the first game of the season, remember that team? the one who came out and played a dominating first? where did that team go? It's all about effort and heart and some of our guys just lack it at times.. I do think that some of the players think they are actually better than they are at times...

But for the most part, have scored 2 or less in every other game, You aren't gonna win many games if you are only scoring 2 goals a game. 

Jets have played 7 games, 13 goals for, 20 against..

Average of just under 2 for per game, just under 3 against per game.

When you can't score, you ain't gonna win. 

Honestly, if your goaltending is giving up just under 3 goals a game and you can't win, you got bigger problems then just the goalie that's for damn sure. 

Put it this way, in the first game the Jets scored 6 goals, in the 6 since, they have scored 7. That's a bigger problem than the goal tending.

I know theres a segment of the Jet fan base that will blame the goalie no matter what, always blame PAVS even when he plays good enough to win, did he play good enough to win vs Tampa? No but the rest of the team didn't either. It's like bomber fans always blaming the QB or maybe the D this year when the reality is the bigger problem is the opposite. 6 goals in 1 game, 7 in 6 games since then...I don't think PAVS is the answer but... when he's getting no support out there and the team is scoring on average if you remove the first game, 1 goal a game or so... You ain't gonna win much.