Should The CFL Impose Cap Limits On Amount Of Flags Officials Can Throw?

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be A Cap Limit On The Amount Of Flags That Can Be Thrown In A Game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should The Refs Get Fined For Making Tacky Calls?

• Yes
    • No

Yes the refs should get fined for a bad call.

And QBs should get fined for missing a throw

Receivers should get fined for every bad route, dropped catch or missed block

Running back should get fined for every missed cut

OLine for missed blocks

Dline every time they fail to get passed a block

Defence for missed tackles, bad angles

DBs for every pass that an offense catches

Punters who don't kick more than 40 yards

Kickers who miss a FG

Coaches who have a negative play

GMs if a player they sign doesn't work out.

That way, nobody will get paid anything and all the best talent and referees will want to play/work here.

Hell, Drew Willy is celebrated as a hero. However he has missed 32 passes this year. He should be paying us to watch him play.

I'll retract a little bit on what I said to date, I admit when I made this thread I was a bit pissed at what I thought was bad moves by the CFL which I figured were an attempt to make a soft football league, and unnecessary delays in game action.  I'll go back on that a little bit after thinking it over.

As far as these roughing the passer calls have gone, it occurred to me maybe the reason the league has become a little more conscious of these is because of what happened to Zach Collaros.  That I admit was a brutal hit which was a bit unnecessary on Willis's part.  I do hate seeing QBs go down like that and wish for all of them to stay healthy.  I think it's just important that the defensive linemen don't get punished for every sack or every pressure hit they put on a QB.  It's their job to get after the QB and there should not be a flag every time the QB goes down.  If it's a hit like what Willis delivered, then yeah throw the flag, but some of the tackiness we were seeing on this last week is not acceptable and should not be flagged.

As for the video replay thing, well my choice of words was a bit poor on that one.  No matter how you look at it, there's no such thing as a perfectly officiated game, and unless you use completely robotic refs that have special biometric functions built into them that have special penalty detectors built into them, there will be no such thing as a perfect game, video replay or not.  And I admit, there've definitely been games before replay was introduced in officiating that have had some wrong calls affected by the officials' judgment, but I really don't recall any game back in the 80s and 90s when this was going on, where officiating, whether there were bad calls or not, had as huge an impact on the game as what we tend to see nowadays even with all this replay technology that's used.  Add into all the delays that it makes for during games and at times having to keep fans waiting till they get done standing on the sidelines with that headset on.

And to add to the replay thing, when you throw pass interference into the mix, you're essentially doing this.  You're basically passing the buck, or giving the coach the chance to ask the ref sitting up in the booth whether what he thinks he sees on that screen is pass interference or not.  But let me tell you, I seen different interpretations of the refs up there making the call already, and I'm going to take my bomber glasses off when I bring up examples here.  so back in our preseason opener against Toronto where it was used, Millanovich threw the flag because he figured our guy had run into his player without turning around and looking for the football, which in the book should be PI right?  Ok they got it right that time.  But then fast forward to this last week, we had a similar incident where our guy did the exact same thing and ran into the Als receiver without turning around and looking for the ball.  Higgins also threw the flag for the repeat of the same play Millanovich challenged, only this time the man upstairs said no, making a point that video replay for this does not guarantee consistent calls in regards to the rule at all.  Again, I'm looking at this from an unbiased point of view and putting wins-losses aside, just saying that all this replay system is doing is just making a man sitting up in a booth watching a video screen a judge with the final authority in regards to a penalty.  And if challenging PI is such a good idea, how come the NFL or NCAA don't allow it.  I guarantee you, if you think they're gonna follow suit in this rule you are sadly mistaken.

Why?  Because it's a judgment call that the man on the field may or may not make, and sure he could miss it at times or see it from the wrong angle as well resulting in an incorrect call, but I still think they see it more times than not.  And, I got a bad feeling there's gonna be times when a defensive back makes a clutch interception in the endzone, coach just decides to throw a flag on the off chance he gets a PI call in his favor, man in the booth. decides to award a PI call just because the DB touched the WR with 1 hand as he gets in position for the pick.  Interception gets erased and offense gets the ball at the 1 yard line all because one man in a booth decides to award the offense a pass interference call.  I am almost certain we were gonna be seeing more challenge flags thrown on interceptions that happen in the last minutes of a game from coaches just hoping to get lucky with a PI call.  The end call may be correct or incorrect in that regard, but I still don't like that idea.

I think people are blaming the wrong people at least in part. The League instructs the officials on how the rules should be interpreted and it's usually the BoG and/or the Rules Committee who tell the League what interpretation they want and how tightly they things should be called.

To each his own. I like the PI challenge. It's going to stop a lot of bad calls & non calls from happening & why is the print so dark?

The print is dark but you have it in bold.

And we agree on the PI challenges.

LOL! I fixed it & yes we do. ;)

I'm just waiting for a defensive team to challenge a play for offensive pass interference (push off).  If it was a long ball on 2nd down, this type of ballsy challenge could really change the momentum of a game.

My guess is that O'Shea will be the first coach to figure this out.

I'm just waiting for a defensive team to challenge a play for offensive pass interference (push off).  If it was a long ball on 2nd down, this type of ballsy challenge could really change the momentum of a game.

You'll be waiting a long time because only defensive pass interference can be challenged.

(I also thought this thread was a joke.  Imagine my surprise when it was serious)

It was pretty over the top.

Especially when the answer was always staring us right in the face.

Put Andre Proulx on an ice floe in the North Atlantic.  Every time there is a bad call made, small-scale ordinance can be launched at it.

People get a chance to vent, refs may choose to deliberate more carefully, and Andre Proulx is never ever allowed near a football field again.  Win win win.

TLDR answer: No.

Long answer...

It's on the players to not commit fouls, and it's on the refs to make the correct calls, and not fabricate idiotic ones (nice the unecessary roughness call agaist Montreal)

What I would *really* like to see, is perhaps some more emphasis on "best perspective", since there have been numerous times where a "penalty" is called by one ref when another one is standing right there and doesn't throw his flag.

refs.jpg

This is from a game between Edmonton and Toronto a few years ago... the ball, receiver and DB are all in the top circle, along with a ref along the sidelines. On this play, the ref in the lower oval threw a PI flag from the far hash marks... that's 40 yards away. What did he *think* he saw from that far away the the guy standing RIGHT THERE didn't? There have been more occurances of this this year too, and it drives me crazy every single time.

Accountability? Yes, privately... but absolutely better training.

Jacquie, on 15 Jul 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

ALuCsRED, on 15 Jul 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

You'll be waiting a long time because only defensive pass interference can be challenged.

There you see, another perfect example of why this rule is faulty.  I would hate what this would entail as yellow flag tossing would get out of control and I've already stated I don't want to see more delays in games, but If you're truly going to keep the rule fair and balanced for both sides of the equation you would have to allow the challenging of offensive pass interference.

How about Huggy Bear Cinco touching an official? Thought that was a penalty?? Maybe not if you give them a smoke after?

Wow, talk about reaching for absolutely nothing...

So it's ok to deliberately put your hands on an official? Without checking the rule book I say no. Maybe in the WWE but probably still no.

TLDR answer: No.

Long answer...

It's on the players to not commit fouls, and it's on the refs to make the correct calls, and not fabricate idiotic ones (nice the unecessary roughness call agaist Montreal)

What I would *really* like to see, is perhaps some more emphasis on "best perspective", since there have been numerous times where a "penalty" is called by one ref when another one is standing right there and doesn't throw his flag.

refs.jpg

This is from a game between Edmonton and Toronto a few years ago... the ball, receiver and DB are all in the top circle, along with a ref along the sidelines. On this play, the ref in the lower oval threw a PI flag from the far hash marks... that's 40 yards away. What did he *think* he saw from that far away the the guy standing RIGHT THERE didn't? There have been more occurances of this this year too, and it drives me crazy every single time.

Accountability? Yes, privately... but absolutely better training.

In that situation I would hope the refs would discuss what one saw that the other didn't and then decide if the flag is warranted or not. They do have the option of picking up the flag.

Jacquie, on 15 Jul 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

ALuCsRED, on 15 Jul 2014 - 07:45 AM, said:

There you see, another perfect example of why this rule is faulty.  I would hate what this would entail as yellow flag tossing would get out of control and I've already stated I don't want to see more delays in games, but If you're truly going to keep the rule fair and balanced for both sides of the equation you would have to allow the challenging of offensive pass interference.

The rule isn't faulty. Offensive pass interference is a 10 yard penalty. It doesn't have near the impact of a defensive PI call.

From TSN:

Other approved rule changes to further protect the health and safety of CFL players include:

• Eliminating low blocks below the waist, other than those delivered to the front plane of a player, in all areas of the field except in the area between the tackles and two yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.

• Outlawing peel back blocks, which occur when a play changes direction in the backfield, forcing the defender to modify his pursuit, making him susceptible to blind low blocks executed by an offensive player moving toward his own end zone.

• Clarifying the rules that make it illegal to "deliver a blow" to an opponent's neck or head, and when it is illegal for a player to use their helmet to hit an opponent, standards already followed by officials but not yet codified in the rule book.

• Requiring an injured player to leave the field for three plays regardless of whether a penalty was called on the action leading to the injury (players currently have the option to stay in the game if a penalty was called on the play.)

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=451630

road griller, on 17 Jul 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

The one on Turner was good they just called one on Willis just like it. Below the knee.

Neither one was good, though there was consistency if you wanna go there.

Well ,you are not allowed to touch them below the knee in the pocket so its a penalty.  They grabbed them, easy way to twist a knee.  I have no problem with that.   Not sure why we would do it a few plays after seeing them get flagged though.... 

That was definitely a bad call although I imagine you'll hear some people who think it was called right.

That's one of those inbetween calls I think. If he catches the ball there's no problems with the hit but there was probably enough time between dropping the pass and when washington hit him that it was late... of course Washington was committed to the hit and he didn't even check to see if it was caught or not.