CFL Other Games Preview

So after we kickoff another weekend of football with hopefully another entertaining masterpiece, we'll have 3 other games, at least 2 of which look like great thrillers to watch.

Ottawa vs Edmonton:  Even though the Redblacks lost this last week to us, they had to come away from that game taking many positives from what they did.  Even though their offense did rather slow up in the periods after the 1st quarter, that fast start had them looking like a team that had found traction and cohesion even being an expansion team.  Now for Edmonton, I know some posters here have not been impressed with them, I give them full credit for a 2-0 start, they've capitalized on a strength of their team, the defense whose gotten them scoring plays off of turnovers and come to the aid when the offense has struggled to find a rhythm.  This team has a lot of the 2011 Bombers written on them, a team that wasn't really labeled as impressive, but kept finding a way to get it done.  My one drawback about Edmonton is that despite their solid D play and turnover battle winning, offense has been mediocre.  Not terrible but mediocre like the 2011 Bomber offense, and if they are asked to win games that require the offense to maintain drives and score more than 4 tds, I don't like their chances.  Also despite forcing 5 turnovers off of the Tigercats and taking out Collaros, they still were just inches away from losing that game.  I think Ottawa just may come into Commonwealth late Friday and beat them.

Ottawa 27 Edmonton 23

Calgary vs Toronto: Well, the Argos have won 7 of the last 9 in this series going back to 2010, including the Grey Cup win of 2012.  The Boatmen will be playing without Andre Durie though, and you can expect the Stampeders are planning to hone in a bit more on Chad Owens.  The question for the Stampeders is whether or not Cornish will be back in time, but if not Jock Sanders seems more than ready to take the reins.  Big game for both of these teams as they both try and stay atop their respective conferences, expect a tight battle to the end.

This one is a bit too close for me to call.

BC vs Saskatchewan:  This game is not going to be so close.  Sure Saskatchewan took a beating out in Toronto last weekend, much to our delight, but they are coming home this week to face a BC team that has no confidence whatsoever, and is just looking for some kind of spark or something for answers.  Already a bad road team and doing virtually nothing against a Montreal team with issues of their own, until Lulay and Arceneaux come back, things are not looking to get better for the Leos, and even with those returns they probably won't get much better.  The Lions are the worst team in football right now and this one is going to get ugly from the start. 

Saskatchewan 37 BC 6

Ottawa @ Edmonton -

- Ottawa, on the road again…without the benefit of a total focused game plan against one team….I don't like the sounds of that. They did do a lot of things right but if the adjustments they made couldn't do the trick against Wpg., I can't see much difference vs. Edm.

- Edmonton has not been knock-out impressive, but did just enough to win 2 games, with one on the road. Reilly and Willis are looking good, but their running game is just pathetic enough to let Ottawa sneak out a victory….but not this time.  EDMONTON

Calgary @ Toronto -

- Injuries are the story here. Cornish and Price are out for Calg. while Durie and probably Emry are out for Tor.

That still leaves Ray, Owens and Coombs. Calg. should be able to handle most of what Tor. shows but is it enough?

Calgary will have to keep the ball out of Ray's hands but I'm not convinced BL Mitchell is the one who can do that right now.  TORONTO

BC @ Saskatchewan -

- I'm thinking Sask. is going to be looking for redemption. I'm thinking Kevin Glenn will be a hunted man. I'm thinking Glenn will be looking for help.

Unless the Lions have a massive game plan, it won't be on Sat. - SASKATCHEWAN

Ottawa at Edmonton

Redblacks play a pretty physical style, their OL/DL are actually pretty good.... Burris is always dangerous.   Eskies physical pressure D, has keyed both of their wins, but not a lot of tools on O. Expect a lot of head banging, with kicking and turnovers being the difference.  Hunching over, a bit...to reach my gin.....and taking Ottawa..... by 3.

Calgary at Toronto

Argos regained their mojo last week, against the Riders, but loss of Durie will hamper their dump and run game.  Stamps will not have Cornish to be the security blanket, for BLM, who is still a somewhat inexperienced QB.  Giving the edge to the established Ricardo, in this one......Argos by 7

BC at Sask

Thought of some ways, that this might not be a blowout....but none of them really work.  Only thing worse that your QB struggling.... (Glenn).... is surrounding him with next to nothing, in the first place.  BC D is not good enough to overcome that, right now.  Riders will be locked and stocked at home, with a big advantage along the LOS.........Try the jolly green ones by....17.

Eskimos 24 Redblacks 21

Toronto 35 Calgary 28

Saskie 31 BC 14

I'm hoping to catch some of the Ott/Edm game... I didn't really get a good look at the new Redblacks last week cuz I was watching the game with Blue and Gold goggles on ;)  

Well, good to know most of you are picking Edmonton - gives me a fighting chance since I'm going with Ottawa (Burris tends to play well in Commonwealth), and yeah, Sask in a walk and Toronto I'm picking over Calgary due to the (non) Cornish factor along with all those receivers out. 

Is it just me, or is this the beginning of the end for Nick Lewis. He's got a lot of hard miles on him - and remember, players like him never fade away, they burn out and burn out quick (look at Roberts). He didn't do much in the game he did play (other than throw a hellacious block which - my bet - caused the concussion to begin with). 

I'm taking Ottawa as well. Despite being 2-0, I'm not impressed with Edmonton at all at this point. BC essentially gave them the first game with all of the turnovers and just won by a touchdown, and they were losing to an awful Hamilton team before two boneheaded plays by Masoli and Lefevour. Mike Reilly is an average quarterback and unless Hank turns into Frank, Ottawa should win.

Toronto to win at home against Calgary. Calgary will be without their top running back and receiver in the game. BLM may be able to take advantage periodically of a weak Argos secondary, but not enough to keep up with Ricky Ray, and Chad Owens. Also expecting Anthony Coombs to have a solid game in his first career CFL start.

Saskatchewan in a romp over BC. The Lions are simply put a very bad football team. The playcalling is questionable at best, five pylons may provide better protection for Kevin Glenn, and he has nobody to throw to. Couple this with Glenn's tendency to force the ball under pressure or when things aren't going his way and this should be easy for the Riders who will be looking to put a rough loss behind them.

i've a bad feeling about this game against the Horseys that i can't shake. something about a team with talent as deep as theirs that is coached by Huf, **** and Stubes is just daunting.

edit... i guess i shouldn't have abbreviated "Dickenson"

Is it just me, or is this the beginning of the end for Nick Lewis. He's got a lot of hard miles on him - and remember, players like him never fade away, they burn out and burn out quick (look at Roberts). He didn't do much in the game he did play (other than throw a hellacious block which - my bet - caused the concussion to begin with). 

I don't think it's just you.... yes he's always been known as "Thick Nick" but this year he just looks plain fat and slow.... not sure he ever really got into "shape" after the injury... If you take into account their relative size, a guy like Dan Knapp is in significantly better shape than Nik Lewis 

I don't think it's just you.... yes he's always been known as "Thick Nick" but this year he just looks plain fat and slow.... not sure he ever really got into "shape" after the injury... If you take into account their relative size, a guy like Dan Knapp is in significantly better shape than Nik Lewis 

Dan Knapp looks real athletic for an OL...

I had that feeling prior to the Ottawa game...not so much now. Not nearly as concerned about Mtl as I was about Ott...

Sooner or later they are going to have a let down game... This one will be concerning just because I think this will be the toughest defence they've faced so far.

Yeah, that's the point... an o-lineman should never look/be more fit/athletic than a receiver...

Ottawa (by 14)

Burris has always had Jones' number - I think this will end up as an offensive shootout...

Calgary (by 4)

Stubler will have to double up on Owen's but his style of D does well against Ray - expect something similar to Wpg, big start then essentially 'contained'. They will 'bend' for 2-3 quarters and then the D will win the game.  Low scoring.

Sask (by 23)

Durant is great at bouncing back... Kevin Glenn not so much.  BC defence will tire.

Winnipeg (by 6)

I think we're in for a really great defensive battle - but Willy still could have a breakout game - Jerald Brown and Billy Parker don't strike the fear of god into me.  Slow start and big finish.

Yeah, that's the point... an o-lineman should never look/be more fit/athletic than a receiver...

What? Who ever told you that? I would much rather have an athletic lineman than a behemoth like the Lions had at tackle last game who can hardly move. 

I hope he has an supporter.......