My Zany Idea For The Full Rebuild Next Year

Brandon

I do think selling Brown paper bags at the games this year where the proceeds go directly into the paying off Burke/Mack/Crowton/Creehan salary fund is a great idea.   I guarantee you either doing this or having a giant social where all proceeds go to this fund would be a massive success.   

We want to have a safe bet for our next regime so no crazy off the wall hiring,   just a solid group of guys if they are available. 

GM throw some money at Higgins,  promise him complete control and if he so chooses to get an assistant GM,  don't cheap out and get him one.   If not him then select somebody who has been in or around the league in the last 5 years.   NO TILLMAN NO TAMAN!!  I don't know if it is Mack or if it's the BOD but how in the world can this team be so damn cheap in free agency.   We should have a massive amount under the cap considering how  young and how little superstars we have.  I know other teams cheat and have more spending money, but how does Taman sign big cheques to guys like Geroy Simon who they don't even need and yet we don't throw a little money at Picard and end up cutting bigger salary guys like Hefney and replace these guys with men making small potatoes.   I'm not saying go full blown Hamilton in spending, but if you need o-line help would it kill to give 50 000 more to Picard rather then having our qbs being killed. 

HC - Bluto is going to hate me here,   I'm actually keen on Chris Jones and would definitely give him a shot at being a HC.   He seems to be a winner wherever he goes and it doesn't look like he will move up the ladder in Toronto anytime soon so why not.  The fancy pick also could be Dickenson... I'd rather have a guy with more experience coaching but with how crappy our offense has been for years... I'm open for a guy who knows how to put up points in the CFL.

OC - Absolutely has to be somebody who has played in the league and/or coached for at least 5 years on offense.   No more croutons or barr-asses or nobodies that have no clue what they are doing.   I'd go off the board here and see if Calvillo has any interest in coaching.  Might be a gamble but the guy knows the CFL and defenses very very well.  This is one area that we can't afford trying to get a NCAA guy to learn the CFL game.  Can't afford it at all,   if not him then I'd be open to pretty much anybody with positive experience.  I'd assume Berry burned his bridge with us, but if desperate he could do as well. 

DC -  Go grab Mark Nelson right away from Montreal,  the guy has had success and does run a nice defense that I think could work well with our solid D-line and when healthy solid LB'ers.  I do think our secondary is better then they have showed,  their is no way that the whole group of guys "lost it" in a matter of one season.

QB Coach -  GET ONE STOP BEING CHEAP,  dear lord Buck Pierce is not a qb coach I'd want.... have you not heard him the guy thinks he has it and thinks the team is always almost there.  I want someone more realistic... I'd take anyone who's interesting in coaching.   Maybe Dinwiddie since he's always been known to being a very technical guy and smart.  Plus he can sell a few tickets to the cougars fawning over his dreamy eyes.

O-line Coach -  Our o-line has stunk for years,  what's Wylie up to these days?   It seems like we used to get a lot out our o-line and these days they just plain old suck.  

QB -  Keep Goltz , start off fresh.  I'm not a Goltz hater,  I just think he's getting a raw deal with this crap team.   For competition depending on who is available and who is healthy....   I would rather they bring in a guy who has had some kind of success. I know we won't be able to magically Tillman up a free awesome qb.... so maybe they can manage to get someone like Tate, Nicholls, Collarus, LeFevour etc....  I assume Calvillo will retire so Montreal will go hard after a new qb, so along with the Ottawa draft we may have to once again settle.

O-line -   How in the world have we not brought in some Americans to start?   That should the absolute easiest position to fill and yet we settle for massive mediocrity.  Huge huge thing we need to fill in during the off season.  If their are proven o-linemen... we definitely need to open up the wallet and get someone.  It's one of the easiest spots to put together with new players and to make them gel.  A-one top priority for the off season. 

For all other positions, I think we are perfectly fine and could plug holes easily with some recruits from our new GM.   

All I know is that people are not motivated to watch this current team and current regime play,   they are highly motivated to clean house and remove the cancers (coaches + buck) and the media would more then love to jump on this kind of bandwagon to raise money and to pay off the crap in order to get hopefully something good going.    We need CFL experienced winners running the team.  No more guys who were passed over a million times by other teams and/or guys who are way over their head.  

Anyone like my idea?   

HC - Not directed at you but I find it funny how much the Bombers have been criticized for hiring HCs who have no previous HC experience (Berry, Kelly, Lapo, Burke) but then when asked to name possible replacements they name a bunch of guys who don't have any HC experience like Jones and Dickenson. As for Chris Jones, I can't see him leaving Toronto unless he's offered a HC job and managerial role (GM or Assistant GM) as well. He's said in the past that management is his goal and he is Assistant GM in Toronto now. 

OC - Not sure why you're criticizing Barresi since it was Lapo's offence and Barresi seemed to be OC in name only. AC is pretty entrenched in Montreal. Doubt he would leave but then I don't want a first year coach as OC either. 

QB Coach - It had nothing to do with cheapness. Burke wanted a RB coach. If he had wanted a QB coach instead he would have hired one but he was satisfied with having Crowton as QB coach as well as OC. As for Buck, thinking he can still play doesn't mean he would be a good coach. 

O-line Coach - Don't know if it's official but I saw a reference to Bob Wylie being a speaker at some type of conference and he was listed as the retired o-line coach for Oakland. I know the Riders tried to hire him again after he left the Raiders but he turned them down.

HC - Bluto is going to hate me here,   I'm actually keen on Chris Jones and would definitely give him a shot at being a HC.   He seems to be a winner wherever he goes and it doesn't look like he will move up the ladder in Toronto anytime soon so why not.  The fancy pick also could be Dickenson... I'd rather have a guy with more experience coaching but with how crappy our offense has been for years... I'm open for a guy who knows how to put up points in the CFL.

how can i hate you for wanting him? you'd be nuts not to. he also would be a second player personnel guy for your new GM.

you'll likely have to outbid Montrel for him though... and he's already the highers paid coordinator in the league by far. (he gets more than some HCs get)

how can i hate you for wanting him? you'd be nuts not to. he also would be a second player personnel guy for your new GM.

you'll likely have to outbid Montrel for him though... and he's already the highers paid coordinator in the league by far. (he gets more than some HCs get)

Then Jones isn't coming here. If we have to out-bid even a CJFL team for him then we'll lose.  The Okanagan Sun would probably bid more than the Bombers for his services.  We're the land of misfit coaches who no one else wants.

I just find it funny that people assume Buck would be a great coach simply because he's a nice guy.

That was my thoughts too. Why does everyone assume he's going to be a good QB coach? Don't you think if he was, he'd already have been showing the younger guys a thing or two and they'd be way better by now? I'm not saying he isn't, but to me it just doesn't seem like he is.

That was my thoughts too. Why does everyone assume he's going to be a good QB coach? Don't you think if he was, he'd already have been showing the younger guys a thing or two and they'd be way better by now? I'm not saying he isn't, but to me it just doesn't seem like he is.

yet at the same time Goltz has talked about how PIerce has helped him and talked positively about Pierces being the veteran guy. The other coaches on the team have said they believe Pierce can do it. I just don't think we as fans are at all capable of judging how a current player could transition into a coaching role. I mean who the hell thought that Jarius Jackson could be a qb coach? 

I believe Dinwiddie is a QB coach with the Als. Cerebral guy. Other guys I'd like to see as QB coaches are Khari Jones (or OC), Damon Allen and Marcus Crandell.

There has to be a better OL coach than Delmonaco.

I've wondered myself how Delmonaco has lasted as long as he has, the oline seems to have regressed every year under him.

Khari would be my pick for OC. If he's good he'd also be a feel good Head Coach in Waiting. But for now we need some fresh blood who understands the game.

For KJ to come here would be a lateral move. And leaving a winning team. Unless Chamblin drives him away I don't think he'll come here unless it is as a HC.

For KJ to come here would be a lateral move. And leaving a winning team. Unless Chamblin drives him away I don't think he'll come here unless it is as a HC.

OC in Winnipeg would not be a lateral move for KJ.  He's currently the QB coach in Hill-billy town.  He was the OC for Hamilton in 2011 and the Hamilton O wasn't too bad that year.  He still was canned by Cortez in 2012 as part of the regime change from Bellfool. 

So to sum up - KJ has OC experience.  Moving into the roll in Winnipeg is not a lateral move.  I support it.

yet at the same time Goltz has talked about how PIerce has helped him and talked positively about Pierces being the veteran guy. The other coaches on the team have said they believe Pierce can do it. I just don't think we as fans are at all capable of judging how a current player could transition into a coaching role. I mean who the hell thought that Jarius Jackson could be a qb coach? 

Burke also thinks Crowton is a brilliant coordinator...so what our coaches believe means nothing...

I believe Dinwiddie is a QB coach with the Als. Cerebral guy.

He's the offensive quality control coach for the Als. Mike Miller was their QB coach in addition to being OC and assistant HC. Their website hasn't been changed to show the changes they've made other than removing Hawkins and adding HC to Popp.

I just find it funny that people assume Buck would be a great coach simply because he's a nice guy.

Just as some of us find it funny when people assume he won't make a great coach because he isn't a great QB.

Well I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see it. And the other coaches on the team aren't exactly a winning bunch, so their testimony doesn't really hold much weight to me.

Well I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see it. And the other coaches on the team aren't exactly a winning bunch, so their testimony doesn't really hold much weight to me.

I'm just saying that we as fans don't know enough to make that judgement.