O-Line Help

Brandon

Anyone think that Mack either makes a trade or brings anyone in to jump in on our o-line?   Clearly it's a weak area and is their any fringe guys waiting for their NFL shots that we can maybe bring in once they get cut??

Think we have anyone of value on the club that we can make a trade to get a starter?  Does JJ have enough value anymore for this?>  Any thoughts?

At first I liked the direction that our O-Line was being developed (lots of NIs being developed - now, not so much)

But really what's going on with the line?

And they can't get anybody better than Taormina, then Boatman? Let's get real.

Overall, we should have made at least one line-up change not required by injury. We just don't seem to be progressing as a unit, and we can't tell if it's coaching or that individual's own personal progress.

Just more questions...

At first I liked the direction that our O-Line was being developed (lots of NIs being developed - now, not so much)

But really what's going on with the line?

And they can't get anybody better than Taormina, then Boatman? Let's get real.

Overall, we should have made at least one line-up change not required by injury. We just don't seem to be progressing as a unit, and we can't tell if it's coaching or that individual's own personal progress.

Just more questions...

I am wondering if they haven't made changes due to continuity rather than guys not being better... just seems strange that they refuse to make changes. 

No one will trade for a (potential) starting OL. So, NFL cuts but that changes the ratio.

Unless it's in an effort to replace one (or both) of our existing tackles. Boatman, as far as I'm concerned, has no business starting on our line as an import .. his performance doesn't justify it.

I am wondering if they haven't made changes due to continuity rather than guys not being better... just seems strange that they refuse to make changes. 

And I would absolutely agree to that sentiment if there was even a smidgen of visible proof that continuity was helping, but no proof as yet....

And I would absolutely agree to that sentiment if there was even a smidgen of visible proof that continuity was helping, but no proof as yet....

hey i didn't say it was happening, just suggesting that maybe the mistaken thought that continuity is helping is preventing changes... I mean they did think a lot of false things with regards to the quarterbacking this year so there is evidence of poor decision making. 

hey i didn't say it was happening, just suggesting that maybe the mistaken thought that continuity is helping is preventing changes... I mean they did think a lot of false things with regards to the quarterbacking this year so there is evidence of poor decision making. 

No, no I understood what you were saying.

It's just that as a unit the O-Line is separate from the rest of the O, even though they are a big part of the Offence, (if that makes sense) and I was hoping that DelMonaco was shaping a unit to help out our QB play this year, both in protection and especially in run blocking, an area I'm very disappointed with.

Is playing OT in Canada much different than playing OT by American rules?  Do American OT's have to be brought up to speed on the CFL like American QBs do? 

I'm just wondering how easy it should be to recruit a new tackle.  American colleges are graduating hundreds of OTs every year, you'd figure the numbers game would make it relatively easy to recruit a good one.

I doubt it, seeing how he did NOTHING to address the oline in the off season.

What is Morely still doing on our team?

well, honestly, the OL was pretty damn good by the end of the season last year, so there was no real huge need to make drastic improvements. I mean, you're always trying to improve at all positions, but let's not make it out to be that the OL was a piece of **** that needed revamping after last year.

Anyone think that Mack either makes a trade or brings anyone in to jump in on our o-line?   Clearly it's a weak area and is their any fringe guys waiting for their NFL shots that we can maybe bring in once they get cut??

Think we have anyone of value on the club that we can make a trade to get a starter?  Does JJ have enough value anymore for this?>  Any thoughts?

Usually teams want your NI"s and draft picks when they know you are dealing from a position of weakness. It should be obvious to everyone by now that the Bombers have been focusing on trying to rebuild their NI talent. I mean, why else go through an extended period of sucking and not have anything to show for it at the end of the day? It's a tough pill to swallow for fans but is, imo, what you have to do for the long term good. The question that remains is, have the Bombers made the correct picks in the draft. If it was up to me, I would have used more picks on O & D linemen instead of what they did take, but that will be Mack's legacy when it's all said and done.

Here's what I don't understand.

Would January-Greaves-Sorenson-Swiston-Pencer really be any worse at this point than January-Greaves-Sorenson-Morley-Boatman?

Throw Swiston and Pencer into the fire like Calgary has done with Brett Jones or Edmonton has done with Matt O'Donnell and hey, maybe they surprise you. And if not, it's not like the guys we don't have in their spots currently are doing much better.

If it were up to me I'd have replaced DelMonaco anyway. Just think too many guys took a step back when he came in and no one has really stepped up and gotten any better. 

Who took a step back under him? January's become an allstar under him & Morley's the only other guy who was here when he arrived. He also turned a DT into a serviceable LG.

Who took a step back under him? January's become an allstar under him & Morley's the only other guy who was here when he arrived. He also turned a DT into a serviceable LG.

well specifically I was thinking of Labatte, he wasn't as good as he was previously to my eyes. I don't think January has changed at all to be honest. Douglas took a step back as well. 

Here's what I don't understand.

Would January-Greaves-Sorenson-Swiston-Pencer really be any worse at this point than January-Greaves-Sorenson-Morley-Boatman?

Throw Swiston and Pencer into the fire like Calgary has done with Brett Jones or Edmonton has done with Matt O'Donnell and hey, maybe they surprise you. And if not, it's not like the guys we don't have in their spots currently are doing much better.

Makes absolute sense to you and I and probably anyone else with a smidgen of common sense.......why did it take them so long to realize Buck was not the answer.......these are no brainer decisions to most people except those in charge. The only conclusion you come to is, the wrong people are in charge.

perhaps switching out certain players who no replacements were brought in for (Buck, Morley, Boatman, etc) has taken so long since it would be a de facto admission of mistakes by a manager who can't afford any more. ego investment is a hell of a motivator... just ask the people who are still backing Mack...

perhaps switching out certain players who no replacements were brought in for (Buck, Morley, Boatman, etc) has taken so long since it would be a de facto admission of mistakes by a manager who can't afford any more. ego investment is a hell of a motivator... just ask the people who are still backing Mack...

No because they make changes all the time on defense including cutting veterans. The issues are that changes never get made on offense. This is not a manager thing, this is a coaches are reluctant to make changes on offense thing and I am curious to see how things change now that there appears to be more of a concrete plan in place at the qb position. Pierce was an issue with the never being healthy, it took reps away from the backups, he wasn't playing well all that, now that they don't have to worry about that and it possibly being an issue for the offensive struggles I expect to see a more critical eye turned to the rest of the offense from the coaches. Assuming Burke knows what the hell he's looking at  there. His preference of Anderson over Denmark doesn't leave me hopeful 

Nah, I see it totally as a coaching thing.

Boatman, I always thought was a temporary crutch 'til people got healthy...but he he's still here and playing, so I agree with Mike in that why the hell can't we go with Pencer?

Morley should only be the back up now.

Time to see what we have on the O-Line...and/or get their replacements.