If You Were Running An Offence....

Crowton is a terrible coordinator. Maybe Lapo was trying fix the garbage that Crowton was spewing. I'm so sick of these anemic offense schemes and lack of imagination.

while i'm not a fan of Crowton, our offense didn't look much better with Lapo pre 2012.

Offensively, Goltz was impatient at times trying to get the big play instead of being patient. He needs to be willing to have more ball control type of drives. We need to get 5-7 yards on first down. makes it easier to convert on 2nd down. Simpson was much better running the football. Taking time off the clock is important. On defense, we don't blitz. No pressure on the qb. All kinds of time to throw. Our secondary is in constant chase mode because of it. Mind boggling.

Goltz was 9/15 for 95 yards and 2 TDs at the half and the offense was moving the ball well in the second quarter.  Simpson also had 40 yards of total offense (most of his receiving yards are on short dump offs - basically extended hand offs).  Crowton would be getting killed here either way, no matter if he passes or throws. 

I thought Anderson was pretty good.

anderson dropped a few passes tonight. I thought Edwards was OK except for a few where he did his giving up to try and draw the PI thing. Denmark didn't stand out much but I think a lot of that was the success of Kohlert and Etienne and to an extent Edwards. Just not enough passes thrown to get every receiver big numbers. 

Edwards was pretty bad overall, trying to hard to draw penalties not trying hard enough to run his routes and finish them. Heck one of Goltz passes was at his knees and he could easily caught it but chose to bat it down because he was gonna get nailed. Sad as it is he should start taking notes from Kohlert and Etienne or he'll be out of a job fast.

Doug Brown and half the city agree with you.

When you play teams with qbs like Burris, Durant & Lulay they are tougher to scheme because they have to be accounted for. It's actually 12 on 12 & not 11 on 12. AC & Ray are so good at getting the ball away & finding the open man that it doesn't matter if they aren't accounted for. Our qbs aren't a threat to run or  pick a defense apart so teams can scheme them easier & have little or no fear of big plays from the qb position. Not using the option off of the zone read by the Bombers tonight with an athletic ab by Goltz??? Unreal.

while i'm not a fan of Crowton, our offense didn't look much better with Lapo pre 2012.

I wasn't actually trying to imply Lapo offence was any better. Just that may be the reason Lapo was constantly tinkering with the O.

As much as i like to see Croston canned, constantly firing coaches isn't the answer.

All I know is that guys like Chad Simpson will not want to play here much longer.

The same offense worked well enough in Regina that they got to a Grey Cup and convinced Mack that LaPo was one of the great young offensive minds in the league. Are you saying Mack was fooled? I recall the fans at the time loved the hire.

The same offense worked well enough in Regina that they got to a Grey Cup and convinced Mack that LaPo was one of the great young offensive minds in the league. Are you saying Mack was fooled? I recall the fans at the time loved the hire.

yes Mack was fooled. Some fans loved the hire some hated it because they remembered running Lapo out of town years earlier when his offense with Khari Jones, Milt Stegall, Charles Roberts etc etc was really unimaginative and the only reason it worked was because Roberts and Sellers and Jones and Stegall could make plays with anything. Once we had Stegall and Roberts hurt the offense disappeared. 

And your quarterback is making his first career start, ideally, how many times would you want to run the ball in the first half?

For the record, Simpson had 4 carries in that situation. Great work Crowton!

The most productive time for the offense was the last 7 games of last season, when Buck was in the booth with the headset on. Now if you ask me, you could pretty much take any former CFL QB and ask them to call the plays from Crowtons play book and it would be an improvement.

anderson dropped a few passes tonight. I thought Edwards was OK except for a few where he did his giving up to try and draw the PI thing. Denmark didn't stand out much but I think a lot of that was the success of Kohlert and Etienne and to an extent Edwards. Just not enough passes thrown to get every receiver big numbers. 

There's no reason why Anderson should be on the roster over Pierce.  The 3 drops were brutal.  First day of football practice in your life you learn to catch the ball with your hands, not your body.  We had no big targets, our biggest receivers were Etienne and Kohlert, putting a 5'9 guy who can't battle a DB at boundary WR (Anderson), really limited our offence.  Denmark would have made more sense out of the guys we had dressed, but really why wasn't D Pierce dressed?

There's no reason why Anderson should be on the roster over Pierce.  The 3 drops were brutal.  First day of football practice in your life you learn to catch the ball with your hands, not your body.  We had no big targets, our biggest receivers were Etienne and Kohlert, putting a 5'9 guy who can't battle a DB at boundary WR (Anderson), really limited our offence.  Denmark would have made more sense out of the guys we had dressed, but really why wasn't D Pierce dressed?

I agree, I asked during the game what Burkes infatuation with Anderson is cause I just don't see it. He's like Denmark but without as good hands.... Yet Denmark is in the doghouse for whatever reason and Anderson plays without fail despite not ever really doing a lot to really earn his place. 

Zone read all day.  Every time we ran it there was a positive play, running and passing.  Since Goltz is a threat with his legs he draws the playside end and LB, since he is a threat with his arm they aren't stacking the box and the lanes were there for Simpson, you get the HB's and safety peeking in and there are openings for the receivers.  The triple threat factor makes the defense pause and then our offence can make plays.  It was working incredibly well on the scoring drives, then we went back to straight drop back passing and stalled.  I really thought they found a rhythm on the scoring drives, and they were flat out beating Calgary's defense, they were off-balance, then the play calling went away from what worked and our defense couldn't get off the field.