If You Were Running An Offence....

I agree, I asked during the game what Burkes infatuation with Anderson is cause I just don't see it. He's like Denmark but without as good hands.... Yet Denmark is in the doghouse for whatever reason and Anderson plays without fail despite not ever really doing a lot to really earn his place. 

Just take a look at Tim Burke, small man syndrome, this guy will never be a HC.

Zone read all day.  Every time we ran it there was a positive play, running and passing.  Since Goltz is a threat with his legs he draws the playside end and LB, since he is a threat with his arm they aren't stacking the box and the lanes were there for Simpson, you get the HB's and safety peeking in and there are openings for the receivers.  The triple threat factor makes the defense pause and then our offence can make plays.  It was working incredibly well on the scoring drives, then we went back to straight drop back passing and stalled.  I really thought they found a rhythm on the scoring drives, and they were flat out beating Calgary's defense, they were off-balance, then the play calling went away from what worked and our defense couldn't get off the field.

even if Goltz wasn't running and Simpson wasn't getting the ball a lot you could obviously see that the stamps D was worried about both of those things. There is no way they can't give Goltz another chance next week. Seeing what he was able to do should in theory allow them to make more consistent decisions with the offense and make it more effective. There was no time this year that I was as confident that the offense could do something than last night. 

Just take a look at Tim Burke, small man syndrome, this guy will never be a HC.

you know little people hate it when you bring up LMS. They swear up and down it doesn't exist despite every single one of them having a deep seeded jealousy of tall folks. 

anderson dropped a few passes tonight. I thought Edwards was OK except for a few where he did his giving up to try and draw the PI thing. Denmark didn't stand out much but I think a lot of that was the success of Kohlert and Etienne and to an extent Edwards. Just not enough passes thrown to get every receiver big numbers. 

to be fair...Anderson also got two where he got rocked, and held on...both good catches...drops though were not good

to be fair...Anderson also got two where he got rocked, and held on...both good catches...drops though were not good

see for me it's not about how many a guy catches, it's how many he drops. Catches are the expected result when the ball comes to you, you put them on the ground that's a big negative strike. We see receivers all over the league get rocked and hang on, if you can't do than you're not doing your job. The occasional drop is something you can live with, but when you put multiple balls on the turf you failed at your #1 job. 

To me Anderson had a very very average game at best. Nothing that a different receivers couldn't have done so in that case why are we using him?

It's either the starting QB or the OC that will take the blame from fans.  Crowton called a good game, his offense just didn't have the ball enough.

There were a few things I didn't care for. I didn't like how in the first quarter they were so quick to throw deep, think a smarter play was what the stamps did, work the short passes first and then go downfield but that's a minor thing, if the passes were on target no one is talking about that. 

The big concern is the D, and it's not just that they were getting beaten, it's that they were allowing long time consuming drives that kept the offense (which did show signs of life and being able to move the ball and score) on the sidelines not able to do anything. Would have been a lot better for the D to just give up a couple big plays here and there rather than constantly giving up the 5 or 6 or 7 yards per play that they were. 

I am a little concerned that Crowton et al developed and practiced schemes to 'protect' Buck...  so we use double tight ends, extra blocking, etc on a lot of our plays...  This seems to have reduced our flexibility - there are just some plays where we are still in 'fortress' mode as opposed to moving and attacking.

With Goltz, there is no need for this - move him, roll him out, use the option - either way, we are rewriting the playbook on the fly thanks to Buck...

I also did not see a lot of playaction - maybe I missed it, that game was hard to watch...  like all of them this year.... and last.

And how we settled on Sorenson as our Centre...  I just don't get it.  He is terrible and, well, so is the rest of the line.

I also did not see a lot of playaction - maybe I missed it, that game was hard to watch...  like all of them this year.... and last.

2nd touchdown for a good example, stamps D all seemed convinced that Simpson was getting the ball. Hell the first play of the game was play action right? There was plenty of play action and it was very effective. 

2nd touchdown for a good example, stamps D all seemed convinced that Simpson was getting the ball. Hell the first play of the game was play action right? There was plenty of play action and it was very effective. 

I'm not saying we didn't use it... when we did, it worked - its the CFL - but I wouldn't say I saw 'plenty'... especially in the 2nd half...  then again, I'm not going to rewatch that game to check either, ha.

Whatever the case, our halftime adjustments just didn't come close to Calgary's...

well you wouldn't have seen much in the 2nd half because most of the second half involved watching cornish run for like 6 or 8 yards every time he got the ball. 

It was painful to watch actually .. most first downs Cornish ended up with the ball .. the inability for the defense to stop the run absolutely killed the defense .. makes it so easy for a young QB to be successful