Who gets cut first

Brandon

We have some canadian problems on our o-line,no question. Most of it due to letting Brendan Labatte walk a province over, passing on Brett Jones (starting in Calgary) and other questionable personnel/draft decisions. 

However, the bigger problem has been the mediocrity of the import guys we've brought into town. Ever since Hoss Goodspeed left we got nothing but joe-boys.

January is a nice guy, well-spoken and all that, co-hosted Doug Brown's show for a few years but his on-field contribution is that of a Class 1 mediocre ex-rider reject. Guy is too big to ever get steam-rolled or pancaked but not enough push, pass blocking average to slightly above but run-blocking is mediocre. Jarvis Jones is even a step down from January. Knapp is the only one with promise as he uses a variety of dirty tricks in his job. Again, don't know if he can consistently move d-liemen against their will. Pencer is just too slow afoot to be anything more than a 7th OL, a poor man's insurance policy. And you pray he never has to take more than a handful of snaps - especially if you're the QB...

We have some canadian problems on our o-line,no question. Most of it due to letting Brendan Labatte walk a province over, passing on Brett Jones (starting in Calgary) and other questionable personnel/draft decisions. 

However, the bigger problem has been the mediocrity of the import guys we've brought into town. Ever since Hoss Goodspeed left we got nothing but joe-boys.

January is a nice guy, well-spoken and all that, co-hosted Doug Brown's show for a few years but his on-field contribution is that of a Class 1 mediocre ex-rider reject. Guy is too big to ever get steam-rolled or pancaked but not enough push, pass blocking average to slightly above but run-blocking is mediocre. Jarvis Jones is even a step down from January. Knapp is the only one with promise as he uses a variety of dirty tricks in his job. Again, don't know if he can consistently move d-liemen against their will. Pencer is just too slow afoot to be anything more than a 7th OL, a poor man's insurance policy. And you pray he never has to take more than a handful of snaps - especially if you're the QB...

Are you nuts? What about ever watching Jarvis Jones makes you think that he's "even a step down from January." As if it's an insult, anyway.

I re watched the game today and Neufeld played a lot...almost 3 quarters. They had him at both RG and RT. I thought he looked fine at both positions.

He came in when Hall did...  I didn't see him at RT until mid-4th quarter - was surprised that Stevenson stayed in as long as he did.

Peterson played over half the game at LT

Korey Banks - I agree he won't be cut. Bookmark this though because he should be and I guarantee you guys that there'll be at least one thread, if not more, of "CUT KOREY BANKS RIGHT NOW" or "HOW DID HE EVEN MAKE THE TEAM". Guys, he's a just a bigger Jovon Johnson. He's 35 and well, and I mean WELL, past his prime. Now, granted, this is pre-season and vets rarely 'bring it' during pre-season. I'm not basing this on what he did last night, rather last year. As mentioned - we got him for Poblah. Wally would have released him for sure if he didn't trade him, just like we released Jovon. You watch, mark my words, he won't be cut (he should be) and we'll all be screaming by August (and he'll be gone before his contract is guaranteed thru the end of the season - Labour Day, or the week before?)

Right now my OL would be January, Greaves, Morley, Knapp, Neufeld.

Knapp is not better than Jones...  no reason to have Neufeld at RT if we are playing 2 imports

Jan, Greaves, Morely, Goossen or Neufeld, Jones

Sure there is. Neufeld is actually a good tackle, we don't have any other Canadians can play guard, especially if Morley starts at C.

Thats about right. Nobody is all-star material but if Wylie can whip 'em into shape they could be serviceable. Greaves is the best run-blocker of the bunch, btw.

Knapp best combo run and pass blocker. As Morley gets older his serviceability and range decrease. Centre could be his best spot for a year or so until he's released. Neufeld has to step up and be mediocre to slightly above average. Above average is probably his ceiling.

Korey Banks - I agree he won't be cut. Bookmark this though because he should be and I guarantee you guys that there'll be at least one thread, if not more, of "CUT KOREY BANKS RIGHT NOW" or "HOW DID HE EVEN MAKE THE TEAM". Guys, he's a just a bigger Jovon Johnson. He's 35 and well, and I mean WELL, past his prime. Now, granted, this is pre-season and vets rarely 'bring it' during pre-season. I'm not basing this on what he did last night, rather last year. As mentioned - we got him for Poblah. Wally would have released him for sure if he didn't trade him, just like we released Jovon. You watch, mark my words, he won't be cut (he should be) and we'll all be screaming by August (and he'll be gone before his contract is guaranteed thru the end of the season - Labour Day, or the week before?)

Anyone know where Jovon landed? Probably nobody cares!

Anyone know where Jovon landed? Probably nobody cares!

Ottawa.

Knapp is not better than Jones...  no reason to have Neufeld at RT if we are playing 2 imports

Jan, Greaves, Morely, Goossen or Neufeld, Jones

Sure there is. Neufeld is actually a good tackle, we don't have any other Canadians can play guard, especially if Morley starts at C.

Right Guard is about the easiest position on the line to fill...  put in Goossen, Neufeld, Peterson, CK...

I will never argue against a 4 ni OL... but if we play 2 imports, it has to be Jones imo - that guy has a higher ceiling than January.  Knapp looks fine at guard but he got torched at RT last year.

I simply find it hilarious how quickly people pile on players who have looked rock solid up to a preseason game and then boom they must be trash..

Banks, suber, pencer, January (dafuq?) and wild are all going nowhere unless they fawk up something serious in Calgary.. You guys DO realize we are working into a new offence, a new defence and a new HC coupled with crazy rotations all game long, right?

Smh.

SPuDs, did you not see Banks play last year? And Ottawa for Johnson..... cool. Wonder if he'll make the team?

I definitely didn't follow the Leos season all that closely but I didn't think he looked that out of place.. If we get a good season outta him for a continual bust a la poblah then I'm a happy guy..

Once again I don't see Banks being an issue, last season he had 46 TCK, 3 STT, 1 SK, 2 INT's, and 2 FMBL REC. Granted he's in a new defensive scheme but the guy is a huge locker room guy and can be a big impact player which is what the Bombers need on defense,

That's what they said about Messier at the end of his career too.

Banks is up there in age, i'm not sure what to expect from him this year, i think he was brought in to be a locker room leader and to be adequate on the field, I think if anyone is expecting Banks to be an all star, they might be kidding themselves, but i think he will be decent enough to stick around for the season. Next year? who knows, 36 is pretty old for a CFL player.

Banks main issue seems to be he has a bit of an attitude issue at times, him and harris went at it in bc a few times last year from my recollection. 

But, the guy comes from a winning culture and i think, his leadership and his experience are what the bombers liked when they traded the backup to the backup receiver for him.

I see banks as a veteran presence, nothing more really. When you look at our team, more specifically our D, not many veteran players back there

I guess id consider Turner a veteran but outside of him, you got banks kuale and suber, maybe chris randle too but again, how veteran is he.

After that, there isn't much veteran leadership on D...

The majority of our veterans are on Offence it seems.. January,Morley.. Denmark,Watson,Moore i guess ill consider a veteran also.

We are a pretty young team all in all, young to the CFL that is... need to have some  veterans around to teach the youngsters how to win.

IF you look at some of the signings/trades this off season...Banks and Kuale specifically... Pretty obvious they were brought in for their veteran presence.

anyone listen to the coaches show tonight? 

it was on at 7

some notes

o'shea praised wild, said he played well yesterday and the d was very vanilla as etch didn't want to give too much away to a team they play for real in a couple weeks.

Banks is up there in age, i'm not sure what to expect from him this year, i think he was brought in to be a locker room leader and to be adequate on the field, I think if anyone is expecting Banks to be an all star, they might be kidding themselves, but i think he will be decent enough to stick around for the season. Next year? who knows, 36 is pretty old for a CFL player.

Banks main issue seems to be he has a bit of an attitude issue at times, him and harris went at it in bc a few times last year from my recollection.

But, the guy comes from a winning culture and i think, his leadership and his experience are what the bombers liked when they traded the backup to the backup receiver for him.

I see banks as a veteran presence, nothing more really. When you look at our team, more specifically our D, not many veteran players back there

I guess id consider Turner a veteran but outside of him, you got banks kuale and suber, maybe chris randle too but again, how veteran is he.

After that, there isn't much veteran leadership on D...

The majority of our veterans are on Offence it seems.. January,Morley.. Denmark,Watson,Moore i guess ill consider a veteran also.

We are a pretty young team all in all, young to the CFL that is... need to have some veterans around to teach the youngsters how to win.

IF you look at some of the signings/trades this off season...Banks and Kuale specifically... Pretty obvious they were brought in for their veteran presence.

I see Vega taking on a big leadership role this season. Vega was a huge signing, both on the field and off.

anyone listen to the coaches show tonight?

it was on at 7

some notes

o'shea praised wild, said he played well yesterday and the d was very vanilla as etch didn't want to give too much away to a team they play for real in a couple weeks.

Is there a link to the show to listen online?

I don't like the January-Morley clique we have in the locker room. Two mediocre o-linemen, one import, one canuck - both pretty slow-moving sluggish giants!

And as for those speculating about if we have to go with 2 imports on our o-line.....

try 3 - we're probably gonna have to go with 3 imports to start the year if Goose isn't ready to start . . . 

Morley and Greaves are our only sure-fire canuck o-ilnemen and both of them are mediocre (Greaves is average, Morley is below average)

Pencer isn't ready and his only guarantee is coming up lame time after time. Chris Kowalcyyk is a low-grader too.

If you're gonna use 3 imports on your o-line they ALL better be monsters. January, Jones & Knapp aren't monsters!

A sub-par o-line makes running difficult. Makes even a very good QB susceptible to bull rushes & sack, not to mention picks when you have to throw before being sacked. NOT A GOOD SIGN!