Who gets cut first

Brandon

I'm a bit confused at the secrecy surrounding Etch's defence... I mean he's been in pro-football for what 30 years now??

Off the top of my head, an Etch defence sits back for the most part, willing to give up 4-5 yards on the run but focuses on converging to the ball carrier with his DBs deep enough to get an 'angle' on the ball.  We will give up yardage but - and I hate this term - its a bend but don't break D.  He needs good penetration from his DEs or the system pretty much collapses if the QB gets too much time.

His guys will lineup in crazy formations but almost always drop back into this same strategy.  After a while, the formations don't quite seem as dramatic although he will send his LBs on a blitz fairly regularly.  If we don't get pressure from the DL, Etch will start sending everybody regularly and it will get ugly...  so ugly that the 'mad scientist' will be running a pretty normal CFL zone defence by Week 17...

Lots of people know more about football on here - so feel free to correct me, if you think this assessment is off...

Basically, if 3-4 guys - like Randle, Leggett, Unamba and Kuale - really 'get' the system and thrive off of their instincts (which is pretty much all Etch's system asks), we could be good.  But this can go off the rails really really fast.

For the most part, I don't think Etcheverry thinks in those terms, what the defense is willing to give or bend but not break.  IMO, his scheme is all about throwing the offence off-balance and making them guess, basically having few tendencies that a QB can read pre-snap.  That's basically the opposite of Burke's D, which relies heavily on players to win 1 on 1 battles and really doesn't break tendency or engage in psychological warfare too much.  Etcheverry also has a lot of reads built into his scheme, so he's relying on his players to see certain things and react properly according to what he wants, anyone anywhere can basically end up doing anything, blitzing, dropping into coverage.  If Etcheverry was a hitter in baseball, he's looking to slug an extra base hit or a home run every pitch, whereas a guy like Burke is going to take a couple pitches and just try to make contact or get on base.

He has some other core beliefs too, smaller and faster is better than bigger, slower and stronger being a huge one, and he applies that to every position on the field.

I totally agree that Etch doesn't think like that... but 'bend but don't break' is what it ends up being.  Its a ton of different formations that all seem to fall back into a fairly basic system imo... like a 'Super Fantastic Mega Zone' system.

Interesting... do you think he goes so far as to leave it up to the players to decide when to blitz?

Still say, that we start wacky, teams figure it out, Etch reels himself in for about four or five games and then goes nuts again.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Woods. Other then that one great catch, the guy was useless. Could barely return balls. kept missing assignments. And no offence but way too short to be in that position as receiver as the defenders tower over him. The boy needs to go.

I simply find it hilarious how quickly people pile on players who have looked rock solid up to a preseason game and then boom they must be trash..

Banks, suber, pencer, January (dafuq?) and wild are all going nowhere unless they fawk up something serious in Calgary.. You guys DO realize we are working into a new offence, a new defence and a new HC coupled with crazy rotations all game long, right?

Smh.

Pencer has looked rock solid thus far in his career?

I thought this camp and his limited time last season all looked like they were progressions in where he was before.. Not leaps and bounds but not a wasted endeavour yet..

Swiston looks like he'll be on the 9 game IR as soon as the Bombers are allowed to put him on it, so Pencer isn't going anywhere in the short term.  Not unless Quinn Everett looks absolutely amazing.  Eight NI Olinemen on a CFL roster is pretty much the minimum.  Some teams carry ten.

He won't put together a 12 year career based on potential though.

It's lookin' like he's got another 12 months left.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Woods. Other then that one great catch, the guy was useless. Could barely return balls. kept missing assignments. And no offence but way too short to be in that position as receiver as the defenders tower over him. The boy needs to go.

Totally disagree...the guy was very good last year until he got injured. He catches virtually everything thrown at him coming out of the backfield and gets to his spots quickly. Yeah cut him based on one exhibition game where the special teams blockers are not in mid season form..that makes a lot of sense.

Totally disagree...the guy was very good last year until he got injured. He catches virtually everything thrown at him coming out of the backfield and gets to his spots quickly. Yeah cut him based on one exhibition game where the special teams blockers are not in mid season form..that makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, what are you talking about Duchkal?  Woods is a great returner.  Everyone here praises him.

I simply find it hilarious how quickly people pile on players who have looked rock solid up to a preseason game and then boom they must be trash..

pencergoing nowhere unless they fawk up something serious in Calgary.. You guys DO realize we are working into a new offence, a new defence and a new HC coupled with crazy rotations all game long, right?

Smh.

e2b.png

Banks, suber, pencer, January (dafuq?) and wild are all going nowhere unless they fawk up something serious in Calgary.. You guys DO realize we are working into a new offence, a new defence and a new HC coupled with crazy rotations all game long, right?

Smh.

Pencer has looked rock solid thus far in his career?

I thought this camp and his limited time last season all looked like they were progressions in where he was before.. Not leaps and bounds but not a wasted endeavour yet..

Swiston looks like he'll be on the 9 game IR as soon as the Bombers are allowed to put him on it, so Pencer isn't going anywhere in the short term.  Not unless Quinn Everett looks absolutely amazing.  Eight NI Olinemen on a CFL roster is pretty much the minimum.  Some teams carry ten.

He won't put together a 12 year career based on potential though.

It's lookin' like he's got another 12 months left.

Guess they're not too worried about the numbers.

I definitely was not a fan of woods in the preseason game; I'm interested in seeing him in the next matchup if he is still underperforming I think he's another player we should get rid of and replace with someone with more possible potential; this year I'm about potential I don't expect the win I want some players who over the season can learn to play together so that next year we have a better chance of succeeding; that starts with removing the players who have peaked and are still not good enough.

I definitely was not a fan of woods in the preseason game; I'm interested in seeing him in the next matchup if he is still underperforming I think he's another player we should get rid of and replace with someone with more possible potential; this year I'm about potential I don't expect the win I want some players who over the season can learn to play together so that next year we have a better chance of succeeding; that starts with removing the players who have peaked and are still not good enough.

And how did you manage to assume he has peaked? And how do you know what his real potential is?

I'd say Garvin showed the most as a returner in the game. Interested to see how he does in the second game.

yeah, the stats are surprising actually.

kick returns

cotton had 2 for 39, longest was 20

woods had 2 for 44. longest was 23

garvin had just 1 for 24

punt returns

woods had 3 for 18, 10 was the longest

cotton 2 for 36, 34 was longest

tarver 1 for 8

garvin 1 for 18

again... garvin, cotton, woods

I'm interested to see who will be the other teams cuts this weekend... especially NI's. Although some teams will probably hide their decent surplus NI's in the IR instead of outright releasing them. 

Any scoops who are rumored to fall from the other CFL trees ?