Jade Etienne

Brandon

But....now bear with me because I am a little confused...lol...

The Bombers had the first pick, if they wanted it.  So, If they put a bid on a player, (Poblah), for a first rounder, then they get him, because they have first pick, but they also go to the back of the line...?  So if they bid a second rounder on Laurent as well, they have to hope that no one else bids a second on him, because they are last.

The way I believe it happened was, and I could be completely wrong on this :huh: , that everyone put a first round bid on Poblah and Winnipeg got him.  Then everyone put a second round bid on Laurent but Edmonton got him because they were next in line...I'm I even close? 

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe theres any ''back of the line'' type of deal. We didn't put a second rounder on Laurent.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe theres any ''back of the line'' type of deal. We didn't put a second rounder on Laurent.

no there is a back of the line rule. You sucessfully get a player you drop to the bottom of waiver priority. I don't think however that a lot of teams were bidding on laurent. The story was that the only team that really did a lot of legwork on him were the esks and that it was unlikely anyone but them would be taking him. Everyone else was focussed on Poblah

There is no back of the line. From the CFL by-laws:

The supplementary Draft shall follow the same order of selection as the regular Draft meeting. A member Club selecting a player must offer to forfeit a selection in the next regular Draft meeting. The next Club has the right to offer to forfeit a higher selection for that player, and so on until each Club has had an opportunity to bid for that player, with the rights to that player being awarded to the Club offering the highest ranking forfeiture. A player not selected in a supplementary Draft shall be declared a free agent.

If we had bid our second round pick for Laurent we would have gotten him.

However, LaPolice said he wasn’t counting on coming away with two players from Friday’s supplemental draft so it’s possible the Blue Bombers may be forced to choose between Laurent and Poblah.

Interesting comment from Lapo that seems to suggests getting both was a possibility.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2011/05/26/pf-18194341.html

Teams don't go to the back of the line because the picks happen simultaneously according to the bids. Meaning we didn't take Poblah before Edmonton took Laurent, the picks happened at the same time.

Not quite. Each player is auctioned off one at a time. Once Winnipeg used their waiver priority on Poblah, we went to #8 in the list.

I find it amazing how guys are justifying how Etienne was a good pick by throwing Poblah under the bus...

It's not that though. It's simply more pointing out that you can't judge draft picks until a few years have gone by. Etienne was sepen as a massive bust and terrible pick at the time meanwhile everyone and their dog agreed that if Poblah was eligible for the actual draft he likely would have been the #1 overall pick. Just goes to show that 

I find it amazing how guys are justifying how Etienne was a good pick by throwing Poblah under the bus...really just serves to back up the idea that pre-draft rankings aren't all they're cracked up to be since a couple years after being selected one guy is starting to show that he looks like he can be a solid contributer and one guy still has a hell of a lot to prove. 

• 10 months later...