Argos @ Bombers Gdt -- Game Day: We All Play

Noeller

Any updates on Ray or Kackert?

ARGOS MUM ON RAY’S KNEE

Even if the Argos had a better handle on Ricky Ray’s knee injury, no one associated with the organization is willing to discuss it for public consumption.

All that is known is Ray was able to put weight on his left knee, the same knee he injured last season in a loss to Montreal, when he left Friday’s game in Winnipeg.

The Argos arrived Saturday and won’t be back on the practice field until later in the week as the team next plays on July 30. against visiting B.C.

Head coach Scott Milanovich has a scheduled media availability on Tuesday, but even then there’s no guarantee anything concrete on Ray’s health will be provided.

In football, no card gets played until the last moment.

Chad Kackert’s right knee injury appears to be much serious than Ray, providing rookie tailback Curtis Steele with his opportunity.

In Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros, the Argos have two very promising young arms who have each seen action in the past two weeks.

If Milanovich does go public at some point this week about Ray, it’s expected he’ll name a starter for the B.C. game if Toronto’s incumbent can’t play.

Before Ray was hurt in the third quarter, he had completed 19 of 20 passes, a CFL record for completion percentage in a game, his lone incompletion courtesy of a dropped ball by rookie John Chiles.

“Rookie nerves,” Milanovich said of the Chiles drop.

Chiles, though, made amends by hooking up with Harris on a deep sideline route that showcased Harris’ arm strength and Chiles’ speed. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/20/argos-mitchell-finds-himself

One guy I am convinced who could turn this team & organization around (if he's given the $$ & free reign to do it) would be Tom Higgins. He is a solid football guy. I saw what he did in Calgary & it was impressive. He turned the Stamps around from the farce they were under owner Michael Feterik. If Joe Mack gets fired (& I think that will eventually happen) then IMO he'd be the best person out there with all the qualifications to rebuild the team & make it a winner.He is an experienced CFL head coach & GM with a solid track record. Which is something we need right now. Not someone with absolutely no experience who talks a great  game but in reality is lost & clueless as to building a winner. Higgins first order of business would be to solve the mess we have at quarterback & go from there.

Higgins first order of business would be to solve the mess we have at quarterback & go from there.

but how do you solve that problem? The CFL is already weak at qb and it's poised to get weaker with Calvillo and Burris being old and older. 

but how do you solve that problem? The CFL is already weak at qb and it's poised to get weaker with Calvillo and Burris being old and older. 

I think you identify who the next up & comers are going to be & if they arent FA's then make a trade to acquire one. Hopefully Goltz or Hall develop. The key is building a complete winning organization... I think Higgins could do it given complete control with no meddling. Also, Higgins knows the league, gets along well with everyone & has a ton of coaching connections with CFL experience.

I think you identify who the next up & comers are going to be & if they arent FA's then make a trade to acquire one. Hopefully Goltz or Hall develop. The key is building a complete winning organization... I think Higgins could do it given complete control with no meddling. Also, Higgins knows the league, gets along well with everyone & has a ton of coaching connections with CFL experience.

that's a cop out answer. There are so many highly touted qb prospects who don't take the next step it's still a huge gamble. It's easy to say fix the qb position, it's a hell of a lot harder to do it, that's why guys like PIerce and Glenn are still employed.

that's a cop out answer. There are so many highly touted qb prospects who don't take the next step it's still a huge gamble. It's easy to say fix the qb position, it's a hell of a lot harder to do it, that's why guys like PIerce and Glenn are still employed.

And let's be totally honest here .. Hamilton went through a stretch where they tried to find that next guy .. they couldn't .. Montreal is going to have to do it very soo and they really have nobody in the pipe capable of leading that team .. Edmonton still hasn't turned the corner .. Calgary has the..  next Buck Pierce as their starter .. it's *NOT* an easy thing to 'fix the QB position' .. sooner every team .. every fanbase .. is going to realize that.

Well, true. But at some point chances have to be taken. If fear is the decision maker to stay staus quo  then failure will be the final result. I think the Bombers looked a their roster & said we can't win with the guys behind Pierce yet were too afraid to get rid of Pierce so they kept him.

Buchko was throwing Forde's name around , I guess he watches TSN. Mack.... All he ever was was a player personnel guy before he got here and after he got here. So you had 2 personnel guys, Mack and Moll. People need to do there homework and hav a true understanding of what has gone on and what is going on in tat organization at every level. Persception is your own relaity, it doesn't mean it is fact.

Walters is and was heavily involved in NI personnel, as was Dyce and others in the organization. If the boss doesn't listen then what difference does it make. Mack dafted NI OL Dunn ( gone)' staff recommended Another Western player who happens to be playing centre for BC. Nice call. Keep spinning your wheels, the season will be over before you need your snow tires.

yeah but dumping Pierce (which I agree should have been done) is no guarantee to fixing the position either. They could have brought in all the young qbs they wanted and it might have turned out like MIke Kellys year did. Brought in the highly touted backup, he didn't stand out immediately so drive the bus over him and move on to the next guy, and the next, and the next, then eventually go with a re-tread never was... Developing a qb is a long process which I quite frankly don't believe enough fans here have the patience for. We saw how quick a lot of them turned on Joey Elliott and Alex Brink. You gotta be prepared to give those guys multiple years to grow into the position and I just don't see that flying in Winnipeg because of how crazy everyone has gotten on account of the no cups since 1990 thing.

You'd think after 3 seasons, quarterbacks would clue in on the CFL game & coaches could evaluate their players better after watching them for all that time. How can a qb who has been in the same system all that time, go to practices for 3 seasons, attend meetings, stand on the sidelines watching & even play NOT be ultimately successful??? WTF are our coaches doing???

You'd think after 3 seasons, quarterbacks would clue in on the CFL game & coaches could evaluate their players better after watching them for all that time. How can a qb who has been in the same system all that time, go to practices for 3 seasons, attend meetings, stand on the sidelines watching & even play NOT be ultimately successful??? WTF are our coaches doing???

Most qbs it takes at least 3 years to even be ready to think about starting. I mean Drew Tate who is the closest thing to a new starter the CFL has took like 5 years before he was ready. Lulay really took off in his 3rd year right? Kevin Glenn didn't become a regular starter until his 4th year. Ray was an anomaly who was an instant success, Burris took a few years, Calvillo took a several years. In WInnipeg we've been going through quarterbacks way too fast and even ones who start to show potential like Elliott (and we shouldn't forget that he did basically lose a year to rehabbing his knee) were tossed aside just as they were starting to get some starting experience. Goltz has got a couple years of practising under his belt which is good, but he still likely needs a lot more seasoning before he's a really capable starter, but given how poor pierce has been if he isn't an over night success this season when he gets into games will anyone have patience with him? Or will the coaches and GMs all be fired and the new bunch will bring in a whole new bunch of quarterbacks to try? Hell Winnipeg has barely been giving coaches two years let along qbs. 

Buchko was throwing Forde's name around , I guess he watches TSN. Mack.... All he ever was was a player personnel guy before he got here and after he got here. So you had 2 personnel guys, Mack and Moll. People need to do there homework and hav a true understanding of what has gone on and what is going on in tat organization at every level. Persception is your own relaity, it doesn't mean it is fact.

Walters is and was heavily involved in NI personnel, as was Dyce and others in the organization. If the boss doesn't listen then what difference does it make. Mack dafted NI OL Dunn ( gone)' staff recommended Another Western player who happens to be playing centre for BC. Nice call. Keep spinning your wheels, the season will be over before you need your snow tires.

So Mack should have drafted Matt Norman in 2011, even though he wasn't eligible until 2012?  Dunn and Norman were in different draft classes.  I guess your perception really isn't reality.

So Mack should have drafted Matt Norman in 2011, even though he wasn't eligible until 2012?  Dunn and Norman were in different draft classes.  I guess your perception really isn't reality.

awww i wanted to bust him on this

No sports fans.....the Western coaching staff said Dunn had no chance of playing n the CFL....they said Norman was a lock. There was the scouting report that Mack ignored.....that was the reality. Not whether they were in the same draft class. It was an ignored scouting report.

I will agree that we should have taken Norman over long-shot Bilukidi but hind-sight is 20-20.  Just ask John Hufnagel about Ameet Pall.

I will agree that we should have taken Norman over long-shot Bilukidi but hind-sight is 20-20.  Just ask John Hufnagel about Ameet Pall.

Is Pall even on the Als roster? I think the guy had an attitude problem when he was with the Stamps. 2012 not a great draft year for Huff.