Drjaffery13

Floyd

I guess O'shea and Walters feel our Canadian content is strong enough to burn a DI spot on a kicker

That's a bit of a leap. More like they want a strong kicking game and won't accept a mediocre Canadian there just because he's Canadian, like we've done for the past 4 years.

If you're going to use an american kicker they better be able to do both jobs. 

Sounds like he can...just not very well.

2012: Beyond Sports Network All-America Third Team ... First Team All-UAA ... Broke the school's season record with 12 field goals on 18 attempts ... Booted 11 punts that traveled at least 50 yards ... Averaged 42.2 yards on 42 punts overall ... Kicked four field goals versus Concordia-Chicago, including a career-best 42-yarder (9/8) ... Converted two field goals with four punts for 191 yards against Beloit (9/1) ... Season-high 324 yards on seven punts against Allegheny (10/6).

http://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/fball/2012-13/bios/sauer_jeff_jido

Likely just training camp competition for Renaud.

It must be more than that as he's not the first import kicker they've looked at.

I believe they're strongly looking at all parts of the ST system and want to improve that aspect of it to be independent and stand on its own. Field position, earned points and directional punting.

We all know ST is important to O'Shea and sure he wants that aspect to be the best it can be…not just operational.

Hopefully all bundled in one player, but they're certainly taking more than one approach to this.

If you're going to use an american kicker they better be able to do both jobs. 

Sounds like he can...just not very well.

2012: Beyond Sports Network All-America Third Team ... First Team All-UAA ... Broke the school's season record with 12 field goals on 18 attempts ... Booted 11 punts that traveled at least 50 yards ... Averaged 42.2 yards on 42 punts overall ... Kicked four field goals versus Concordia-Chicago, including a career-best 42-yarder (9/8) ... Converted two field goals with four punts for 191 yards against Beloit (9/1) ... Season-high 324 yards on seven punts against Allegheny (10/6).

http://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/fball/2012-13/bios/sauer_jeff_jido

Yeah, I don't really get how two teams could be interested in this guy. He was a fourth team selection in D3 college ball. How good can he be?

Hajrullaha has just as good stats if not better and can do both.

Yes, I can see us sticking with an NI in that position, not so much for their kicking ability but more for the torture of having to spell and pronounce his name.

Last year Billy Pavlopoulosususus…., this year Mr. Hajrullaha.

Makes me appreciate that Smith guy more now, even if he isn't a kicker.

I'd take one import in the Medlock mold ideally, and I think Mike O'Shea would too this season, even with the ratio issues.  There isn't a NI available who can reliably do both, and special teams is extremely important. Not worth having a guy who's going to net 30 yards on punts, even if he can hit 80% of his field goals to save a roster spot.  Better off playing a NI backup at dime or LB and having a good kicking game.

I think if we really want Johnny Mark, we'll have to pick him 20th overall, cause I think one of the teams between 21 and 26 probably will take him.  Ottawa and Montreal both need kickers or want competition at the very least, that's also where the quality of players drops sharply.  Mark won't be a candidate to do both jobs unless his punting improves drastically, and he's weak on kickoffs, he's very much like Palardy, probably more accurate inside 35-40.

Don't think this is the import to be that guy though, just based purely on his numbers.

I guess O'shea and Walters feel our Canadian content is strong enough to burn a DI spot on a kicker

That's a bit of a leap. More like they want a strong kicking game and won't accept a mediocre Canadian there just because he's Canadian, like we've done for the past 4 years.

I was being sarcastic... Not sure why they are even wasting a roster spot on American kickers, we're likely already using a DI spot on a returner, we can't afford to burn one on a kicker... Our roster simply doesn't have the Canadian talent