Letting Players Go to the NFL

Atomic

The Argos released Marcus Ball yesterday, apparently to pursue the NFL.  Jim Barker has not been reluctant to release players who feel like they have an NFL shot, whereas other GMs such as Austin with Chris Williams have taken a hard line against releasing players to tryout in the NFL.

Barker's rationale is that he will have an easier time signing players if they know they can get out of the deal early to try the NFL.

Other GMs have said things like "If I do it for this guy, I'll have 30 other guys knocking on my door asking me to do it for them."  In other words, they do not want it to snowball and cause them to lose all their good players early.

What do you think?  Which side is taking the smarter approach?  Should they just bring back the option year?  It's been kinda nice not having it the last few years, from a fan perspective at least.

From the start, removing the option year was a mistake...  this is exactly what people thought would happen... now you have to let your guys go to free agency if they want to try the NFL instead of maintaining their rights.  You will never stop players from wanting to make money.

Bring it back.

He released a player with a year left on his contract?  Hmmmm, not sure I like that.  It's basically circumvents the CFL's ending of the NFL out clause.

When a player signs here, he isnt signing here when he has a real chance of making the NFL.  His play here might generate NFL interest.  In that respect, if a player commits to a two year deal in the CFL, he should honour it otherwise, dont make the deal, dont get an opportunity to showcase yourself and never end up in the NFL anyway.

They really need to introduce the ability to allow teams to retain player rights.

For example, we should've been able to sign Henoc and Matthews to CFL contracts and THEN let them pursue the NFL. Same thing goes with guys like Cordarro Law or Dontrelle Inman.

If that was to happen, what kind of time frame would you put on it?  I think it's a good idea, but you are asking for the player to commit to us, and us having to commit to the player if/when he comes back, even if we have moved on, and have adequately filled his position.  

Obviously for someone like Henoc, you make more adjustments roster wise/cap wise to retain him at most costs.  It would definitely add another wrench into a team's salary management abilities.

They really need to introduce the ability to allow teams to retain player rights.

For example, we should've been able to sign Henoc and Matthews to CFL contracts and THEN let them pursue the NFL. Same thing goes with guys like Cordarro Law or Dontrelle Inman.

If that was to happen, what kind of time frame would you put on it?  I think it's a good idea, but you are asking for the player to commit to us, and us having to commit to the player if/when he comes back, even if we have moved on, and have adequately filled his position.  

Obviously for someone like Henoc, you make more adjustments roster wise/cap wise to retain him at most costs.  It would definitely add another wrench into a team's salary management abilities.

It can just be run like a negotiation list thing. First right of refusal.