Danny Barrett as Bombers QB coach?

gbill2004

I suggested this to Kirk Penton and he thought it was an interesting idea. Barrett and Willy have a close relationship as Barrett used to be his QB coach in Buffalo. Willy mentioned in his intro presser that they still keep in touch.

Barrett obviously knows the CFL as a former CFL QB. Barrett is currently an RB coach for a US college. Penton figures they'd let him leave for a pro opportunity.

I really think Barrett would be a great fit as Bombers QB coach. Would really help with Willy's development.

Thoughts?

For a minute I thought you were serious. I'd like him as a qb coach but he'd never come here as just a position coach & he's entrenched in the NCAA now making more money then he'd ever make up  here. I just wish the Bombers would get on with it &  announce their coaching staff.

For a minute I thought you were serious. I'd like him as a qb coach but he'd never come here as just a position coach & he's entrenched in the NCAA now making more money then he'd ever make up here. I just wish the Bombers would get on with it & announce their coaching staff.

How much could he be making as an RB coach at a small NCAA US college?

For a minute I thought you were serious. I'd like him as a qb coach but he'd never come here as just a position coach & he's entrenched in the NCAA now making more money then he'd ever make up here. I just wish the Bombers would get on with it & announce their coaching staff.

Probably at least as much as up here plus he'd get a full retirement & health benefits package for himself & family something the CFL doesn't do for assistants up  here. Also, if he has kids nearing college age they would get free tuition. In the right place, he could stay at a college for a long time. 

The University of Central Florida isn't a small US college.  Their football program likely pulls double the revenue of the Bombers every season, and more in a season like the one they just had.  Keep in mind that their players are a very low fixed cost through scholarships and housing, the only people they spend money on are coaches.  They won the AAC (an AQ conference) over Louisville last season and beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl (BCS bowl). Their QB will probably be a top 10 NFL pick in the upcoming draft along with Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater.  Barrett will be making well into 6 figures there, with stable benefits for himself and his family.  The only way someone would leave a job like that might be for a CFL head coaching position.

The University of Central Florida isn't a small US college.  Their football program likely pulls double the revenue of the Bombers every season, and more in a season like the one they just had.  Keep in mind that their players are a very low fixed cost through scholarships and housing, the only people they spend money on are coaches.  They won the AAC (an AQ conference) over Louisville last season and beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl (BCS bowl). Their QB will probably be a top 10 NFL pick in the upcoming draft along with Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater.  Barrett will be making well into 6 figures there, with stable benefits for himself and his family.  The only way someone would leave a job like that might be for a CFL head coaching position.

Off topic but I loved what Bortles did this year for UCF. Second best QB in the draft behind Manziel IMO. Not as high on Bridgewater as some seem to be.

Not as a position coach especially. As a Coordinator maybe. As a HC, yes. Look at Austin.

Except Austin didn't come back until he was HC and GM. Didn't he turn down the Riders when they offered him the HC position a couple years ago?

Sure but that's two completely different cases.  Kent Austin left as a champion.  Barrett left after 7 mediocre seasons with no Grey Cup appearances.

You're never, ever going to get a coach from the NCAA, regardless of his position to come to the CFL as an assistant.

That's just crazy. Assistant coaches come to the CFL from the NCAA every year.

Never said assistant coaches don't come to the CFL from the NCAA - but they aren't coming directly from the NCAA to be an assistant coach here. They may have been in the NCAA in the past at various points in their lives (See Gary Crowton who had been out of the NCAA for awhile), but the assistant coaches there make more money in a year than assistants here will make in a very long time. 

You're never, ever going to get a coach from the NCAA, regardless of his position to come to the CFL as an assistant.

That's just crazy. Assistant coaches come to the CFL from the NCAA every year.

Never said assistant coaches don't come to the CFL from the NCAA - but they aren't coming directly from the NCAA to be an assistant coach here. They may have been in the NCAA in the past at various points in their lives (See Gary Crowton who had been out of the NCAA for awhile), but the assistant coaches there make more money in a year than assistants here will make in a very long time. 

Still not true.  For example, Will Plemons came here directly from Fresno State, a Division 1 FBS school, where he was the DL coach for 3 seasons, to become the DL coach here.  And that's just one example.  There are plenty more.