Riders Release Greg Carr

According to an article by the Canadian Press that's posted at CFL.ca, Simon isn't playing in the Riders home opener.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/simon-out-ruled-out-for-riders-home-opener

Looks like Simon might be an expensive bench warmer unless they 9 game him soon...I doubt with his injury that he starts for another month.  They should save him for the scond half of the season.

Finding talent is one thing. Building a team is completely different. Constantly rotating bodies thru an organization does not built continuity or a sense of team amongst players. You need a cohesive unit that believe they are a part of something, working towards a common goal. This holds for a team be it sport or business.

Edwards = 7th year, Johnson, Labbe = 6th year, Stewart, January, Morley, Renaud = 5th year, Suber, Buck, Denmark, Palardy, Greaves, Douglas = 4th year, Muamba, Etienne, Turner, Mainor, Pontibriand, Swiston = 3rd year.

Yep, constant turnover.

Football isn't as black and white as folks make it out to be.  I don't think Edwards gives us enough considering his salary.  I don't think he has many good games left in him.  Mack brings in lots of good receivers.  So sure, I'd go younger and cheaper in this case.

I'd keep Edwards around for the veteran presence, I'd just stop asking him to be one of the teams top receivers, which based on last game is happening anyway, although Pierce does seem to be a guy who loves throwing to Edwards,probably a lot of trust there

I'd keep Edwards around for the veteran presence, I'd just stop asking him to be one of the teams top receivers, which based on last game is happening anyway, although Pierce does seem to be a guy who loves throwing to Edwards,probably a lot of trust there

He'd be better if he'd give up on the PI drama.

He'd be better if he'd give up on the PI drama.

yes... but that one on 3rd down in week one he definitely had a case because it was text book PI that wasn't called. Denmark is another guy who protests too much about PI calls. Would much rather they just keep fighting and hopefully the refs don't have their heads in their asses and will make the calls. 

I guess one game in does add a year to your vet status? Some carrier back ups an ST guys, Douglas hanging on and injured all last year. I stand corrected...not.

Four rookies made the roster out of training camp, that's about as little turnover as you will ever see in the CFL.  But I wouldn't expect you to actually, you know, look at facts or anything.

The Calgary Stampeders have first-hand knowledge of the carnage Greg Carr can inflict on a defensive secondary.

After all, the sky-scraping receiver caught two touchdowns — including one that shaped up as the game-winner for the Saskatchewan Roughriders with just 52 seconds on the clock — in the 2012 West Division semifinal.

Only a 68-yard touchdown bomb to Romby Bryant — unleashed by Drew Tate with 20 seconds remaining — allowed the Stampeders to advance with a 36-30 victory at McMahon Stadium.

Some eight months after the heartbreak, Carr is switching sides in one of the Canadian Football League’s fiercest rivalries.

The 27-year-old former Winnipeg Blue Bomber/Eskimo/Roughrider is expected to report this morning to McMahon for his first day of work on the Calgary practice roster.

The Riders released Carr last week in anticipation of the return of the talented (and moderately expensive) Geroy Simon to the lineup and to make way for newcomers like Eron Riley.

“Greg has big-play capabilities.” Saskatchewan head coach Corey Chamblin was telling the Edmonton Journal before the season opener for the Riders at Commonwealth Stadium. “He’s a big, tall receiver. I’d like for him to take a step and show he’s a dominant receiver in this league.

“He has the height, he has the size, and he has the ability.”

No one is about to question Carr’s natural abilities and physical attributes. This is a guy who reeled in back-to-back 74- and 71-yard pass-and-run touchdowns for his first two CFL receptions back in 2010.

At six-foot-six, 214 pounds, Carr gives his quarterback — whether that’s Drew Tate, Kevin Glenn or Bo Levi Mitchell — a big target to throw at with a built-in height advantage in a league populated by smallish defensive backs.

The Florida State product has deceptive speed and can serve as a deep threat on the outside or fight for the tough balls over the middle.

Carr will likely need to prove himself on the practice roster before cracking a starting receiving corps that includes Maurice Price, Joe West, Nik Lewis, and Marquay McDaniel.

Carr’s best CFL season came in 2011 when he caught 46 catches for 648 yards and four touchdowns for the Bombers.

“I have a whole lot of confidence in my ability,” Carr told the Edmonton Journal. “I know that no matter what, I’m going to work hard to get to where I need to be.”

• 2 months later...

The knock on Carr when he was released from the Chargers way back when was he was soft. He has outstanding ability but I would say he hasn't demonstrated both the physical and mental toughness to keep him at the elite level. Other teams see the ability and hope he will change. Sadly what you see is what you get.