Steve Morley to Centre?

gbill2004

With the loss of Justin Sorensen yesterday, Kirk Penton of the Winnipeg Sun is reporting that the Bombers are looking at moving Steve Morley to centre this season.  Thoughts on whether he would be an upgrade over Sorensen? 

If this were to occur, and assuming we draft Lavertu, I'd see Lavertu starting mid-season, or at the latest in 2015. 

imo, they should transition Greaves to C instead of Morley. Greaves is younger and might stay longer in Blue&Gold.

slide Morley to the LG beside his buddy January.

Makes no sense. The left side of our line is about the only part of it that isn't broken.

Morley has already proven himself to be a poor guard.  Why would we put him beside "his buddy" January?  Is that going to magically make him a serviceable player?

This is just contingency planning in the event Ottawa takes Lavertu.  If Lavertu is drafted and earns the spot, Morley's a pretty easy transition to 6th or 7th OL, given his experience everywhere on the line.

After the success of Jones, I think we are betting on the second pick - Lavertu? - to step in and actually play Centre.

I could see our line shaping up like:

January - Greaves - Lavertu - Pencer - Neufeld

Jones on 46, Morely as 6th OL

Pretty rookie line but I think they gamble with new blood...  at least I hope that they do

Our O-Line has been crappy enough starting two imports, can we really afford to sit someone like Jarvis Jones in favor of Pencer or Neufeld? 

No.  Neufeld is a major question mark with his health anyways, and not very good, if we're starting him at tackle just for the ratio, we're in real bad shape.  When Pencer played last year he looked like he belonged physically but very raw against pass rush moves when he did get engaged, IMO in that Edmonton game he looked more comfortable when he played RT after whoever left due to injury.  I think if he plays more and gets to see where he needs to improve and has a decent coach, he'll be a decent player.  I think they'll keep developing him at guard.

Neufeld is a classic just try to get in the way for as long you can type of OL at this level IMO.  Not a fan.  One of the big improvements the Riders made from 2012 to 2013 was getting him off the field.

I can't see them starting with less than 2 imports.

Morley as our starting centre ???

Our O-line just can never seem to get better. The fact that Kowalczuk and Morley are both still here just shows how badly we need offensive lineman.

Which position is 'easier' to play as an OL, centre or guard? By easier, I mean getting by at the position with a sub-par o-lineman.

Guard. Less to think about. Basically a barroom brawler who just has to physically beat up the guy across. C has so much more to do on the field, incl calling formation and such.