Could Halifax finally get a stadium and team ?

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/mayor-of-halifax-says-decision-on-stadium-coming-this-year-1.1668879

It seems as though they're getting serious about it this time. The Commish has made it clear that Halifax is where the league would like to go. Mayor Savage has essentially stated that if a Halifax/Dartmouth stadium doesn't happen under his watch, it'll probably never happen............. at least not for the foreseeable future. I'm really hoping something finally gets done, the Ottawa model seems to be the way to go and it looks as though that model is plan A for the League and Mayor Savage.

is there someone willing to own a team there? That's as important, probably more so than a stadium.

Exactly. No one has ever even expressed mild interest in owning a CFL team. The Maritimes are a wasteland of failed AHL teams... No other pro sports have ever been there. 

is there someone willing to own a team there? That's as important, probably more so than a stadium.

Exactly. No one has ever even expressed mild interest in owning a CFL team. The Maritimes are a wasteland of failed AHL teams... No other pro sports have ever been there.

That's not entirely true. The Ice Caps are extremely successful in St Johns. But will probably move simply due to logistics of travel. But it's a very successful profitable team.

That's not entirely true. The Ice Caps are extremely successful in St Johns. But will probably move simply due to logistics of travel. But it's a very successful profitable team.

Not to split hairs but NL is not considered a Maritime province ... #TheMoreYouKnow

Supposedly the McCain's were heavily involved with the TDF Atlantic in Moncton and essentially waiting to see if there was some interest, I'm not sure about a potential owner for Halifax though. There is some big money in Atlantic Canada, but I don't see the Irving's getting involved, Sobey's who knows ? and the McCains are based out New Brunswick, but reportedly will be involved with Cohon's discussions with business leaders in the Maritimes. 

I don't think Halifax has ever had it... I don't think they have a capable stadium.

Halifax technically had the first Touchdown Atlantic game, which was a pre season game in 2005 between the Argos and Ticats at Huskies stadium. You're right though, they don't have a stadium capable of holding another game. Huskies stadium is falling apart and couldn't expand to more than 11,000-ish.

I guess all of those empty seats in Moncton took them right out of the running.  Is this year's TA back in Halifax?

No word yet on TD Atlantic, but it seems as though it will be put on hold for awhile. Moncton's essentially out now, not selling last year's game hurt the event.

We just have to wait for the Buffalo Bills to move to Los Angeles, then we could have a team in Buffalo.  

In the meantime, Quebec City is probably the next best location.  If we are looking at smaller cities, why hasn't Saskatoon ever been considered?

We just have to wait for the Buffalo Bills to move to Los Angeles, then we could have a team in Buffalo.  

In the meantime, Quebec City is probably the next best location.  If we are looking at smaller cities, why hasn't Saskatoon ever been considered?

Because the Roughriders would never allow it. For whatever reason their provincial pride is tied to the roughriders so people in Saskatoon are fans of the riders, would they all of a sudden start supporting the Saskatoon Berries? I doubt it. 

Because the Roughriders would never allow it. For whatever reason their provincial pride is tied to the roughriders so people in Saskatoon are fans of the riders, would they all of a sudden start supporting the Saskatoon Berries? I doubt it.

LOL the berries. I could just see the jokes fly between Willy and the Berries.

Love to see a team in Saskatoon someday as it is now one of the fastest growing cities in Canada. The only thing holding them back is a proper facility. There are plans to expand the U of S stadium to 10,000 at some point. But that's not enough for a CFL stadium. There's no talk of a 25-30,000 seat facility being built somewhere else in the city as of now. Maybe in 10-15 years but eventually I believe it will happen.

I don't pretend to know or understand QC. While Laval draws the crowds to their games, I don't sense a will by anyone there to buy a CFL team & bring it to QC.. They'd need a new stadium or to upgrade where Laval plays now. So, who knows? I just think QC is hockey mad & to bring a CFL team there now with the strong possibility that the Nordiques may coming back & lurking on the horizon may be ill timed. 

As far as Halifax building a new 25,000 seat stadium? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? A new stadium or a CFL team?? Stay tuned. 

The one city that no one ever talks about is London, Ontario. With a population of over 400,000 that would be a city I'd try to get a team into if possible. They support their junior hockey team as well as their CIS team. Having 4 teams in Ontario would be interesting. 

I was thinking the Saskatoon Rough Riders...  The Berries wouldn't work unless Doug Berry was the coach.