Taman comments on Willy/Etienne trade

gbill2004

Quite an interesting read. Looks like if Etienne doesn't sign, we owe Sask something else:

http://www.leaderpost.com/touch/story.html?id=9480815.

Taman admitted the Roughriders took a risk by dealing for a player who could walk away next week, but the trade will benefit Saskatchewan in some way.

"If (Etienne) does leave (and sign elsewhere), we'll have some other considerations that would come into play," Taman said. "They're not significant of any note, but we'll get something out of this, put it that way."

Willy, 27, spent two seasons as the backup to Roughriders quarterback Darian Durant.

The Roughriders expected to lose Willy as a free agent, so dealing him before the deadline allowed them to get something for him.

"We talked to Drew last week and he reiterated what he'd already told us, that he wanted to get a chance to play," Taman said. "With Darian here, that probably wasn't going to happen. We knew he wasn't coming back.

"(The Bombers) wanted to get to him sooner than later, especially when Henry (Burris) was off the market, so they said, 'Can we get his rights?' and we said, 'Shouldn't be a problem.' "To make it somewhat sensible from our end, we were hoping to get back the rights of a guy we could talk to who maybe didn't figure into their plans for whatever reason. That was Jade."

Fairly cautious comments, given that Detain is from Sask.  Could be that Detain is telling Taman the same thing Willy told him: Wherever I sign... I want to start.

Probably a low-round pick changes hands as a contingency if Detain doesn't sign.  I'd deal a 6th or 7th for Willy's right all day.

Jay Detain.....the guy we just traded.

Oh ok. I guess that's supposed to be funny.

You must be fun at parties.

Jay Detain is funny because that's what the close captioning on IGF interprets his name as. Same with Rory Dough Alert. And Demons Washing Ham.

Must be it. I'm not much of a partier so that's okay.

Thanks for the background though on the close captioning. I wasn't aware of that. It's pretty funny though.

To make it somewhat sensible from our end, we were hoping to get back the rights of a guy we could talk to who maybe didn't figure into their plans for whatever reason. That was Jade.

So Taman is saying that the Bombers really weren't high on re-signing Etienne. Seems weird given how we're really hooped for non-imports this year.

Jay Detain is funny because that's what the close captioning on IGF interprets his name as. Same with Rory Dough Alert. And Demons Washing Ham.

I can't wait to see what the captioning comes up with for Lirim Hajrallahu next season!

I can't wait to see what the captioning comes up with for Lirim Hajrallahu next season!

The scoreboard is just going to implode.

The scoreboard is just going to implode.

Chevon Walker = Chef Von Walker.. my dad and I lost it.

To make it somewhat sensible from our end, we were hoping to get back the rights of a guy we could talk to who maybe didn't figure into their plans for whatever reason. That was Jade.

So Taman is saying that the Bombers really weren't high on re-signing Etienne. Seems weird given how we're really hooped for non-imports this year.

I figured it was just Etienne wanting to go home. The Bombers not being interested in re-signing him makes very little sense to me.