AC to retire

johnzo

I wonder how long it will be until Migs makes his way here? He's posting at the Stamps site CFL Horsemen as Jericho stirring up all kinds of crap, most notably how much better Sheets is than Cornish, how the Riders receiving corps is better than the Stamps, how Brent Jones really wants to play for the Riders & not the Stamps, how great Regina is as a city & rubbing it in their face the fact the Riders beat the Stamps in the playoffs. Total douchebag.

I am proud to say I helped make Migs go full ***** and leave Riderfans. He has some very obvious buttons that you can push -- PM me and I'll help spread the word. 

I always enjoy players who give good performances (less so when they're against us) and AC has provided us with many such performances. 

It's one of the reasons I enjoy sports.

The downside is watching their not-so-nice side where their human frailties show up. (hello R. Sherman) and AC when he points fingers.

But the talent was there, and that bugger would beat us more times than not,

Great career.

Goodbye, good riddance and good luck .

I hate to be that guy, but dude should have retired 4 years ago.  His last few years put a damper on a sure hall of fame career.

Definitely should not have still been playing in 2013 for sure. When Trestman walked to the NFL Calvillo should have pulled the plug. All he did last year was unnecessarily endanger himself in a broken system. And his childish behavior while walking off the field after yet another two and out didn't win him any points either. This retirement is a year or even two years too late.

Say good bye to the most boring superstar on the most boring dynasty in memory. All that was missing was equally boring Cahoon to put everyone to sleep.

Too bad - league could have really marketed a record setting QB on a great team if they posessed a detectable personality.

I hate to be that guy, but dude should have retired 4 years ago.  His last few years put a damper on a sure hall of fame career.

What are you even talking about? From 2010 thru 2012 the guy won a Grey Cup, while putting up typical AC numbers: 5000 yds a season and a 3:1 TD/int ratio. He had a sweet thing going with Trestman and wasn't showing any signs of slowing down ... not until last year.

Ideally he would have quit after 2012 and spared himself that awful concussion but I can't blame a guy for hanging onto the only job he's ever held in his adult life.

Say good bye to the most boring superstar on the most boring dynasty in memory. All that was missing was equally boring Cahoon to put everyone to sleep.

Too bad - league could have really marketed a record setting QB on a great team if they posessed a detectable personality.

Ouch. At least they acted (whether it was AC throwing or Cahoon catching) like they've done it before. I can't remember Cahoon or AC ever celebrating a seven-yard pass and catch toss unless it was a game winner. They were professionals in the true sense of the word. Personality wise, if your suggesting more colour that's not they way they were wired, can't change much of that.

What are you even talking about? From 2010 thru 2012 the guy won a Grey Cup, while putting up typical AC numbers: 5000 yds a season and a 3:1 TD/int ratio. He had a sweet thing going with Trestman and wasn't showing any signs of slowing down ... not until last year.

Ideally he would have quit after 2012 and spared himself that awful concussion but I can't blame a guy for hanging onto the only job he's ever held in his adult life.

stats aside, you could clearly see he was on the downside even in 2010.  That was their Grey cup year, which ideally would have been the perfect time to retire.

I would take their boring wins and Grey Cups over the ****-show in Hamilton any day.

Great career but I agree that he should have retired after his last GC. He wanted to break more records. Hate to say that about a player but as Mike said, he never did anything to let his backups play. Trestman may have wanted to keep him in, even when the Als were up by a lot of points but he could have pulled himself anytime he wanted to let other qbs play. He didn't want to.

One thing I have to give credit to Calvillo for is stating that when he does eventually get into coaching he wants to start at the bottom (QB Coach), doesn't feel that he is or would be ready to be an O.C in the CFL, good on him. Also thought it was interesting that he brought up how he'll be interning with the Als and learning more about scouting, football ops etc.

GM/HC in the future ???

I would take their boring wins and Grey Cups over the ****-show in Hamilton any day.

Really ?

Really ?

LOL! That's funny!

Yup. And I mean, what class by the ticats when they jumped into the boat in our old stadium. It was as if ron burgandy himself was celebrating..

Yup. And I mean, what class by those ticats when they jumped into the boat in our old stadium. It was as if ron burgandy himself was celebrating..

Fixed.

Yup. And I mean, what class by those ticats when they jumped into the boat in our old stadium. It was as if ron burgandy himself was celebrating..

Fixed.

Fine. By that same token, AC's gazillion other examples of sportsmanship and excellent team player attitude should outweigh a half season of sour puss attitude..

So, is the Morning Big Blue's version of the Richard Sherman debate? Pro athletes are judged by their words & actions. That's what the negative comments are about. There's absolutely no way Calvillo did whatever he could to help Dan Hawkins win. He got pissed off because the losing made him look bad & he didn't like that. I expected a lot more from a 20 year veteran. Having said that, he had an outstanding career. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

Or maybe he got pissed off because the offensive game plan was just that piss poor (hello crowton) and he was tired of trying to get hawkins to change it? I think your assuming much on the side of "AC is an uber ******" and not enough on the "OC game plan was ****" the offense that didnt change much was prolific under tressman and suddenly became horrendous under new management... I know what that tells me..

Whatever it was, Calvillo didn't go out on his own terms, that's for sure. But his legacy is cemented as one of the greats. He still lost more GC's than he won. He has the CFL passing yardage & completion record but so did Fran Tarkenton in the NFL at one time & he was 0-3 in Super Bowls with the Vikings.