AC to retire

johnzo

our post-Ritchie era thru to Doug Berry is full of some truly awful memories of games vs Montreal. One of the only highlights (...and it's BARELY a highlight...) was the game from 2004 (2005??) when we won something like 52-45 (??)...and Kamau Peterson actually called it on the old OB.com 'cause they'd apparently designed a gameplan for that specific game, all the way back in April of that year. Sigh...not a good era.....f*** everything about Calvillo and the Als...

I remember one game when about three of our O-linemen got hurt and Jon Osterhouse(?) had to come into the game on the O-line...

our post-Ritchie era thru to Doug Berry is full of some truly awful memories of games vs Montreal. One of the only highlights (...and it's BARELY a highlight...) was the game from 2004 (2005??) when we won something like 52-45 (??)...and Kamau Peterson actually called it on the old OB.com 'cause they'd apparently designed a gameplan for that specific game, all the way back in April of that year. Sigh...not a good era.....f*** everything about Calvillo and the Als...

Friday July 22, 2005. I was at that game. Bombers won 51-45. Charles Roberts had 195 yards rushing and two TD's. The Als just couldn't stop him. Great game. Milt had a TD as well. Kamau had one catch for 11 yards.

Milt won the game with one of those patented seam-routes that he was so famous for. We were pretty drunk watching that game on TV in Brandon, then went to celebrate the win at The Roadhouse, and ended up getting tossed at about 1am when one of the people we were with mouthed off to a bouncer. SIgh. It was a night...

Best CFL QB career ever?

No, hands down IMO it has to be Flutie, then Moon, not sure who should be #3 though.

If the question is "best CFL QB" I'd say Moon then Flutie. Though the stats may say otherwise (too lazy to check).

If its "best CFL career" then AC has to be in the discussion since he played 20 years. Basically, Moon, Flutie were too good to last here. 

I don't know if I'd say Flutie was the best, but he was the craziest SOB I've ever seen play.  That dude could pull a rabbit out of his ass if he wanted to.  He made plays when there was no play to make.  It was incredible to watch him.

I had Flutie flashbacks yesterday during the Seahawks game on that bomb that Russell Wilson threw to Baldwin, where he ran around dodging D linemen and then found Baldwin alone for 51 yards. Wilson does that kind of thing a few times a game, but Flutie would do that on almost every possession. It was nuts how accurate he was on the run, the guy was almost unstoppable. Dunigan in his younger years played like that too.

I'd take him as a QB coach any day.  Although if he's turning down an OC job, I doubt he'd want to come here to be a QB coach, unless he wants to start off small and work his way up rather then being thrown into the big shoes and have a chance of failing right off the bat.

And Flutie threw for 6,000 yards a couple of seasons at least. To me, he was the best who ever played the position in the CFL no question. One of the most greatest yet underrated qb in CFL history played for the Bombers & still lives in Winnipeg. Started at qb in 5 Grey Cups & won 4.... Ken Ploen. He never put up huge numbers passing wise because the game was more of a run game in his era. He also was an All Canadian defensive back as well. He's much appreciated in Winnipeg but not so much in the rest of the CFL.

For me the single thing that holds Calvillo back is all his choke jobs in Grey Cup games. He was gifted a pretty weak division to play in almost his whole time in Montreal and with all those Grey Cup appearances did not get nearly enough wins.

He won back to back Grey cups against the Mustache Riders, and for that alone we should be throwing a retirement party for AC in Winnipeg. Can you imagine how insufferable those Rider d-bags would be if they had won back to back cups?

Note that the East was pretty weak when Moon won his Grey Cups.

I think Brandon's question is interesting.  Best CFL QB career ever?  I'd say yes.  Guy played at a high level for longer than any other CFL QB.  His durability was also pretty amazing, you take away his wife's cancer and his final concussion and he didn't miss a lot of starts.  The only CFL career that compares is Damon Allen, and Allen was much less consistent than Calvillo was.  Allen was dynamite in Grey Cups, though.

Definitely not the best CFL quarterback ever.  Flutie was spooky good.  He had radar like Wayne Gretzky did in his prime, and was way better (3-1?) in Grey Cups than Calvillo was.

I wonder how long it will be until Migs makes his way here? He's posting at the Stamps site CFL Horsemen as Jericho stirring up all kinds of crap, most notably how much better Sheets is than Cornish, how the Riders receiving corps is better than the Stamps, how Brent Jones really wants to play for the Riders & not the Stamps, how great Regina is as a city & rubbing it in their face the fact the Riders beat the Stamps in the playoffs. Total douchebag.

I wonder how long it will be until Migs makes his way here? He's posting at the Stamps site CFL Horsemen as Jericho stirring up all kinds of crap, most notably how much better Sheets is than Cornish, how the Riders receiving corps is better than the Stamps, how Brent Jones really wants to play for the Riders & not the Stamps, how great Regina is as a city & rubbing it in their face the fact the Riders beat the Stamps in the playoffs. Total douchebag.

Are you in the right thread?  Who the hell is Migs and what does he have to do with what we're talking about?

Note that the East was pretty weak when Moon won his Grey Cups.

I think Brandon's question is interesting.  Best CFL QB career ever?  I'd say yes.  Guy played at a high level for longer than any other CFL QB.  His durability was also pretty amazing, you take away his wife's cancer and his final concussion and he didn't miss a lot of starts.  The only CFL career that compares is Damon Allen, and Allen was much less consistent than Calvillo was.  Allen was dynamite in Grey Cups, though.

Definitely not the best CFL quarterback ever.  Flutie was spooky good.  He had radar like Wayne Gretzky did in his prime, and was way better (3-1?) in Grey Cups than Calvillo was.

I still think the crappy division and only 3 Grey Cup wins despite being on good teams every year takes Calvillo out of the equation no matter how big his numbers were in regular seasons. The Als feasted off down in the dumps Toronto and Hamilton teams, expansion Renegades and the Bombers splitting time between the west and the basement. I think the stars aligned for Calvillo and he failed to take full advantage of it. It's unlikely anyone will ever touch his career numbers, but I can't call it the best career just because he played the longest. 

johnzo is correct, i said best CFL career. Not the best qb to ever play in the CFL. The best qb that I ever saw play was Flutie followed by Dickenson and Garcia.

I'm saying the guy who had the best CFL career , a guy who pretty much played his entire career in the CFL. I am not familiar with guys who played before the mid 80's so it's an honest question.

Calvillo had the luxury of great players surrounding him and that's an honest point to make against him being the best all time.

Flutie / Moon only played for so many years so I wouldn't really consider them.

I'm thinking more so guys like Damon Allen , McManus, Austin, Ham, Ray, Nealone Greene and so forth .....

I'm saying the guy who had the best CFL career , a guy who pretty much played his entire career in the CFL. I am not familiar with guys who played before the mid 80's so it's an honest question.

I don't know who had the best career, but I'm saying I'm not giving it to Calvillo just because he played forever. His playoff record quite frankly sucks considering the weak sisters in his division most of his time.