BMO field possibly being upgraded

Chaosmonkey

As much as I want to see the Argos play in a better stadium, if the Feds contribute to that plan I will be really angry. They've already committed/spent over $335M for the 2015 Pan-Am Games as well as another $35M for a legacy fund. There is no reason additional money should go to BMO Field for the Pan-Am Games because it isn't needed for them. Let MLSE pay for it - they sure as hell have the money.

Word from Madani and others today is that this is paving the way for MLSE to buy the Argos and operate them outta BMO. They apparently want to host a GC in there. They'd operate the Argos as a "boutique" franchise, which would allow an NFL franchise to be a "big time" show operating out of SkyDoom....

Sounds like a done deal. Not much to do with CFL mind you, this is about TML having penis envy of all the "winter classics" and no suitable place to hold one and MLSE achieving a an almost total monopoly of pro sports in TOR.

Its good news, eastern media interests will dutifully report on CFL more as a matter of corporate policy and it shows CFL isnt the economically toxic property the haters have been preaching for years.

This is good news for the Argos. Playing at Rogers Centre is becoming impossible thanks to the Blue Jays.

Yep, you can't even get an Argos' beer cup. The only sign that there's an Argo game on as you approach the facility is the few fans that sport Argo gear.

Funny that SkyDome was built as a reaction to the terrible weather that would hit that site in the former stadium there on the lakefront, and now the Argos are possibly moving back there. 

How long before that becomes an issue and problem related to attendance?

There will be plenty of other issues to blame attendance on before weather is one of them.  We're talking about the Argonauts here.

Word from Madani and others today is that this is paving the way for MLSE to buy the Argos and operate them outta BMO. They apparently want to host a GC in there. They'd operate the Argos as a "boutique" franchise, which would allow an NFL franchise to be a "big time" show operating out of SkyDoom....

I thought the Jays were putting in natural grass and a permanent infield, making football impossible in SkyDome. Unless they want this sort of BS

gameday092902a.jpg

Don't the A's share a stadium with the Raiders? I've seen a few Oakland games where they haven't replaced the turf on the field and you can still see the baselines on the football field. Just looks so bush league, I couldn't believe the NFL puts up with that crap. When I see the baseball field on the turf it always reminds me of that game a few years ago in Skydome where the workers were too lazy to remove the pitching mound, they just threw the artificial turf on top of it, so there was this huge mound in the middle of the football field and the players had to run around it. Just so stupid. The days of sharing stadiums between football and baseball have to end, you just end up pleasing no one.

Don't the A's share a stadium with the Raiders? I've seen a few Oakland games where they haven't replaced the turf on the field and you can still see the baselines on the football field. Just looks so bush league, I couldn't believe the NFL puts up with that crap. When I see the baseball field on the turf it always reminds me of that game a few years ago in Skydome where the workers were too lazy to remove the pitching mound, they just threw the artificial turf on top of it, so there was this huge mound in the middle of the football field and the players had to run around it. Just so stupid. The days of sharing stadiums between football and baseball have to end, you just end up pleasing no one.

You're right, the Raiders actually play in the only stadium that is now home to both NFL and MLB teams.

The San Diego Padres no longer play in Qualcomm Stadium, now it's just the Chargers (from the picture above).

I was visiting the Ti Cats website last night & they have a thread discussing Tim Horton's Field. It was said in that discussion that both the Ti Cats & RedBlacks have asked the CFL for permission to play their first exhibition game & the first 3home  games of the regular season on the road because both teams know their stadiums won't be ready in time for the start of the 2014 season. They said that this is going to present a problem because of the dates the Argos get from the Blue Jays may not allow this. They also said Ottawa is asking for a bye the first week of the regular season to help give them time to finish their stadium & get their people trained up for the first game at Frank Clair Stadium. I'll say one thing, looking at the photos of both stadiums under construction, Frank Clair Stadium is much further along than Tim Horton's Field so that's a bit disconcerning. I wonder if the Ti Cats have the option to use Guelph again next season? If you go to the Ti Cats website they have a discussion forum & you can follow what is going on. Of course, the problems with IGF came up & the year long delay we had as well.

Now, the only toilet bowl left is Mosaic Stadium. Give McMahon Stadium another decade & it'll be the crappola of the league.  

Calgary needs to get off their asses and build a new stadium ASAP cause Mcmahon is really showing it's age. It may not be the worst one in the league at this point but it's not good either. 

Now, the only toilet bowl left is Mosaic Stadium. Give McMahon Stadium another decade & it'll be the crappola of the league.  

Calgary needs to get off their asses and build a new stadium ASAP cause Mcmahon is really showing it's age. It may not be the worst one in the league at this point but it's not good either. 

You live in Calgary like I do. I don't get a sense that any new stadium is on the horizon. Do you?

No it's not and that's the problem. Need to at least be talking about it because it's going to take a long time to get from the talking about it to actually opening it stage and that place isn't getting any newer in the mean time.

Alberta is too busy right now propping up the rest of Canada to build new stadiums.

You live in Calgary like I do. I don't get a sense that any new stadium is on the horizon. Do you?

I went to school with Nenshi at U of C and I would bet good money that the day he was at the Stamps game this year for the flood ceremony was the first time he had ever set foot in McMahon. He wouldn't know a football from a bucket of KFC. A new stadium has to be championed from the highest levels of civic government, and what with all the dough that had to be blown on the Saddledome this year I doubt McMahon is going to be a priority for a long time to come.

I went to school with Nenshi at U of C and I would bet good money that the day he was at the Stamps game this year for the flood ceremony was the first time he had ever set foot in McMahon. He wouldn't know a football from a bucket of KFC. A new stadium has to be championed from the highest levels of civic government, and what with all the dough that had to be blown on the Saddledome this year I doubt McMahon is going to be a priority for a long time to come.

That's true, with Edmonton building a new arena Calgary is going to want a new arena before anything else because they have to keep up in the long cock competition between the cities.