BMO field possibly being upgraded

Chaosmonkey

Was an article a while back from Millions, I think, saying that there's rumblings behind the scenes among a bunch of private sector oil and gas types, who want to build a giant arena/stadium joint complex thing up at the site of the McMahon. Would mean the end of the arena's tie-in with Calgary Stampede but so be it. It's on the LRT line and an overall good location. Huge money and will have to be almost entirely private sector, but with Edmonton getting a new arena and both Saddledome/McMahon on last legs (especially after the flood damage!) they're going to need to do something soon..

Keep soccer out of IGF, the women's games are a one time event, that's more than good enough for the next 50 years.

The Argos need all the help they can get............... if being owned by MLSE and moving to a renovated BMO ensures their future then so be it. Although I'm hoping that some serious work is done to upgrade BMO, that place is a glorified High school stadium, it makes Tim Hortons Field look like a moderately decent stadium by comparison, which IMO says a lot.

Died with the CSL in the 80's.... People may want to go see Calgary play Winnipeg in CFL football but they don't give 2 hoots about Canadian soccer. They may want to see MLS though. I think the stadium needs another tenant.

I could just stay home, paint the side of my house and watch it dry and get the same level of entertainment value.

Seems there is a few Calgary chest-thumpers over on Skyscraper forum who make it seem like it's fait accompli that Calgary will be getting a new stadium and a new arena and an announcement will be made sometime this year.  Based on what I read here, it sounds like those projects are nothing more than rumours with little chance of happening (at least not an announcement in the near future that those posters insist on).

Seems there is a few Calgary chest-thumpers over on Skyscraper forum who make it seem like it's fait accompli that Calgary will be getting a new stadium and a new arena and an announcement will be made sometime this year.  Based on what I read here, it sounds like those projects are nothing more than rumours with little chance of happening (at least not an announcement in the near future that those posters insist on).

the thing about Calgary is there's SO much private money, and because of this, a lot of stuff goes on under the table, and behind the scenes. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was a bunch of stuff happening that isn't being reported...