Cortez and Lapo both say no to BC

Mike

Lions lose out to Roughriders, TV in search for offensive co-ordinator

Cortez stays with Saskatchewan, LaPolice keeps cushy TSN gig, so B.C. still has an offensive co-ordinator opening:

The allure of a cushy television job, or the chance to remain with the Grey Cup champions, can indeed be more attractive than coaching with the B.C. Lions, who will continue their search for an offensive co-ordinator, having lost out on both Paul LaPolice and George Cortez.

The inability of the CFL team to land either of its top two candidates to replace Jacques Chapdelaine will be tempered by the announcement Thursday of Mark Washington as the replacement for defensive co-ordinator Rich Stubler.

But the Lions are switching plans quickly for an offensive solution and could instead end up being attracted to a former quarterback. Former Lions and Winnipeg pivot Khari Jones, who worked the last two seasons as quarterbacks coach with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, has already talked to coach Mike Benevides.

Also expressing an interest: Toronto Argonauts quarterbacks coach Jason Maas, who has a past with his Lions counterpart, Jarious Jackson.

Cortez, who told reporters during Grey Cup week that he was content with the Riders, turned down the chance to interview for the Lions job. LaPolice was scheduled to be in Vancouver this week to discuss what Benevides previously described as a career choice for the former Winnipeg head coach, who worked last season as a TSN analyst. Television won, at least for now.

"The TSN deal is ridiculous," said one source familiar with the situation involving the Winnipeg-based LaPolice and the league's broadcast rights-holder. "It's also a lot easier having to fly in and work a couple of days a week."

An unconfirmed report had the network, which recently lost a bid to retain its NHL rights, adding time and cash to LaPolice's contract.

It almost definitely means that the Lions are going to transform from having one of the most experienced coaching staffs in the league to potentially one with a longer lifespan.

Jones started his coaching career not long after Washington left the game as a defensive back with the Lions. Jones helped Kevin Glenn become a 5,000-yard passer as a quarterbacks coach in 2010 with Hamilton, then worked a season as offensive co-ordinator a year later under Marcel Bellefeuille before following Corey Chamblin to Saskatchewan.

Jones, who has also interviewed for the same position in Winnipeg, would have Jackson, Dan Dorazio and Kelly Bates as co-workers, but the Lions are being forced to maintain the nucleus of their offensive staff by denying the Bombers permission to speak to some of their coaches.

B.C. coaching contracts don't expire until Jan. 31, and as LaPolice proved this week, anything is possible until that point.

lullrich@theprovince.com

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lions+lose+Roughriders+search+offensive+ordinator/9275810/story.html

if Bob Wylie is going to coach an o-line in the CFL can the Bombers please drive a dump truck full of money up to his house and get him here?

Our wiffle-bat budget will be second to none!

Gibson was the wiffle bat guy no? Wylie was just damned good at the job. 

A friend (well, glorified Facebook friend LOL) played OL for Wylie for a season. Said a lot of guys on the line found him old school to the point of being ridiculous. 

Said after a while a lot of him teammates just tuned him out. 

One lowly guys opinion of course but it did surprise me to hear. 

I am not sure how you can read papers from outside the city you live in but I can only hope you use your secret powers for good instead of evil.

Really???? Lol dumbest post of the year here!

The internet is now black magic? Who reads actual newspapers anymore I thought everyone reads the web versions now?

I actually thought it was one of the better posts of the year.... It was meant in jest, and I found it quite hilarious!

I am not sure how you can read papers from outside the city you live in but I can only hope you use your secret powers for good instead of evil.

Really???? Lol dumbest post of the year here!

The internet is now black magic? Who reads actual newspapers anymore I thought everyone reads the web versions now?

I actually thought it was one of the better posts of the year.... It was meant in jest, and I found it quite hilarious!

Exactly.  Hence my interwebz remark.  I liked it.  And I actually did "Like it" by clicking the little button off to the side with the check mark thing beside it.  It's the little blue box...well I mean there's a few little blue boxes, but this one actually has a check mark in it...like the ones we use to get from our teachers in school when we did well.  Right...and beside this check box it says "Like This"...except without the quotations.  I used the quotations to signify that that is what it says INSIDE the box and so you wouldn't think I was just saying Like This in my sentence and not getting my point.

...*cough*...

I actually did just cough...I have a bit of a cold.  You'll all be happy to know though that it's almost gone, thanks for asking.