Bob Irving's Guess On Bombers Protected List

Noeller

Mock Protected List: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

2bubble-tail.png

Posted: December 09, 2013 12:40 PM
Updated: December 09, 2013 01:15 PM

Bob Irving | CFL.ca

Quarterback - Max Hall: Improved gradually during the second half of the season. Deserves to come back and at least compete for a job.

Imports

Clarence Denmark – Wide Receiver: Denmark caught 64 passes for 900 yards, great numbers considering how challenged the team’s offence was in 2013.  He brings speed and game-breaking ability.

Bryant Turner – Defensive Tackle: The 26 year old, three-year veteran at defensive tackle has earned All-Star recognition and is the kind of hard-working, determined player that Mike O'Shea covets.

Ian Wild – Linebacker: Wild made a big impression with his speed and awareness in what was his rookie.   He’s also a long-snapper. This guy is a keeper.

Johnny Sears – Defensive Back: Still only 26, Sears is a fierce hitter who plays with passion.  He’s also an intimidating force in the secondary whose only challenge is staying healthy.

Demond Washington – Defensive Back: Washington is a dynamic, if at times, erratic defensive back.  Just 26 years old. His game needs polishing, but his speed and kick return abilities make him valuable.

Jarvis Jones – Offensive Lineman: The 6-foot-7, 305 pound offensive tackle played quite well after joining the team late in the season. The 24-year old from Oklahoma looks like a key component in 2014 offensive line.

Glenn January – Offensive Lineman: There’s no substitute for experience, and this 30-year old has plenty of it.  He’s a solid offensive tackle who has spent the last five years in Winnipeg after playing for Toronto and Saskatchewan.

Desia Dunn – DB/LB: Dunn had a solid rookie season.  The 25-year old Fresno State product has speed, savvy and lots of character.

Wallace Miles – Wide Receiver: Miles spent nearly the entire 2013 season on the practice roster, then showed tremendous speed and athleticism in a 100-yard receiving game against Toronto late in the year.  Only 23 years old.

J.D. Griggs – Defensive End: Another late-season addition at defensive end.  Pass-rushers are gold in the CFL and this 23-year old flashed some skills in that area.

Non-imports

Henoc Muamba – Linebacker: Most teams won't protect players like Muamba, who are eligible for free agency in February. But Muamba is coming off an award-winning, All-Canadian season. At 24, the Bombers can't afford to lose his rights to Ottawa.

Cory Watson – Slotback: He was plagued by injuries the past two years, but when healthy, he is still a stud receiver, not to mention a great blocker. He appears to be an easy choice as one of the six protected Canucks.

Chris Greaves - Offensive Lineman: Greaves is putting the finishes touches on his conversion from the defensive line, a position he played in college.  He should be a fixture on the offensive line for years to come.

Patrick Neufeld - Offensive Lineman: Acquired from Saskatchewan in the Alex Hall trade, the Bombers consider him to be a big part of their future.  He’s expected to compete for a starting spot at offensive tackle in 2014.

Tyson Pencer – Offensive Lineman: A 1st-round draft pick in 2012, Pencer missed all of his first year due to injury, and played sparingly in 2013. He still has substantial upside to become another regular on the offensive line.

Paul Swiston – Offensive Lineman: The gigantic offensive lineman has been slow in his development, but he's only 24 and it's too early to give up on him.

can't disagree with that. (don't know Miles or Griggs much though)

seeing those 6 names as the protected NIs shows how dire the last 2 GMs have allowed the NI personnel situation to become. Walters/Goveia/McManus et al have a lot of work to do.

can't disagree with that. (don't know Miles or Griggs much though)

seeing those 6 names as the protected NIs shows how dire the last 2 GMs have allowed the NI personnel situation to become. Walters/Goveia/McManus et al have a lot of work to do.

In fairness it was a huge improvement over the ni that Taman and Kelly have us.

Forget not when Brock Ralph was our elite receiver

So, anyone have a guess who the first NI taken from our team is going to be?

Here are the choices...

WR Kito Poblah - most likely he will be picked  by Ottawa

RB Carl Volny - could be him also

OL Terriss Paliwoda

FB Carl Fitzgerald

SB Brett Carter - could be an interesting choice.

DT Jake Thomas - servicable DL

LB Philippe Dubuisson-Lebon

LB James Green - ST sandout

LB Rene Stephan

DB Teague Sherman

S Cauchy Muamba - will Ottawa pick him to lure Henoc there?

K Sandro DeAngelis - we should give him to Ottawa for free :D

In the first round they are going to want to find starting capable Canadians that's why I really think they take Poblah. They are going to start in all likely hood 4 Canadians on the o-line probably a receiver and one on defense. Looking at all the rosters one of the more favourable Canadians to start at WR is Kito Poblah so I really think they draft him over a back up DT.

I've heard rumblings that Jade is one of the few guys we have a contract ready to go for once this draft is over.

I'm not going to get into all the old Jaded arguments from before but this news is encouraging to me simply for the fact that we're moving on from the old fossil-like grudge-holding regime and maybe, just maybe, young Etienne will be given a chance to reach his true potential.

I wouldn't be completely surprised if they swiped Jade.

an impending free agent who hasn't established a lot in the league? I don't think that's the kind of person Ottawa is targetting. I suspect that they'll try and snap up as many linemen as possible from the NI ranks. There's enough NI receivers who are free agents they can likely get some decent ones there. 

in the first round? it not gonna happen

in the second round? could be

At this point right now I would rank his stock higher than Kito's.  

same here but he's a free agent and Ottawa will not gamble on him on the first round.

in the first round? it not gonna happen

in the second round? could be

At this point right now I would rank his stock higher than Kito's.  

same here but he's a free agent and Ottawa will not gamble on him on the first round.

Missed that he was a FA.