Taman and extensions

Floyd

Where is he finding the $$ to extend Getzlaf, Bagg, Labatte and Picard?  Everyone was already suspecting he was over the cap but I guess not...  or is he maybe backloading contracts to scare away Ottawa?

There was some speculation on Twitter that these contracts may not have included signing bonuses, so they would not put any additional money towards this year's cap and would make their contracts unattractive to Ottawa.

Of course, in Labatte and Getzlaf's cases, the Ottawa factor is irrelevant because they will obviously be protected.

Do their agents have an idea as to how the new tv contract will affect the cap? Cause if they don't, that's absolutely crazy to recommend your clients sign an extension before knowing that.

The problem with that is the new CBA likely won't be ratified until May or June.  There's not going to be a lot of guys willing to wait that long.

Where is he finding the $$ to extend Getzlaf, Bagg, Labatte and Picard?  Everyone was already suspecting he was over the cap but I guess not...  or is he maybe backloading contracts to scare away Ottawa?

You nailed it. He's backloading the Picard and Bagg deals.

Do their agents have an idea as to how the new tv contract will affect the cap? Cause if they don't, that's absolutely crazy to recommend your clients sign an extension before knowing that.

The problem with that is the new CBA likely won't be ratified until May or June.  There's not going to be a lot of guys willing to wait that long.

Solid point.

Duane Ford has also speculated that there might be some ridiculous contracts signed then renegotiated after later to a lower salary, to make their contracts not favourable to Ottawa. 

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/duane-forde-discusses-expansion-draft-loopholes-may-things-194237452.html

A good read, seems as though this expansion draft isn't as favourable to the redblacks as initially thought.

Big deal on the big back end deals. The contract aren't guaranteed so Ottawa could cut the players later or renegotiate before having to pay them out.

Ottawa should pick the best players and deal with the fallout (cap) later. Payouts can always 9 game a player that is not bending to your will.

A player has to agree to be put on the 9 game IR. Ottawa could cut that player and that player could then sign with another team as well.

Why the hate? The guy just won the Cup. The Cap is the Cap

I expect the Riders will be over the cap & whether it's $1 or $100,000, to me it's still cheating.

It's only cheating when Edmonton does it. When "Canada's team" does it then it's not really cheating cause everyone loves the riders and wants them to win.

Why the hate? The guy just won the Cup. The Cap is the Cap

I expect the Riders will be over the cap & whether it's $1 or $100,000, to me it's still cheating.

It's only cheating when Edmonton does it. When "Canada's team" does it then it's not really cheating cause everyone loves the riders and wants them to win.

There was a time when I too, liked the Riders. But like a drug induced flashback it all seems so unreal....

Duane Ford has also speculated that there might be some ridiculous contracts signed then renegotiated after later to a lower salary, to make their contracts not favourable to Ottawa. 

Poison pills could also work.  Do in the NFL and hold up to legal challenges.  Give a guy a $10,000 bonus for every game he plays in Ottawa.

It isn't cheating....it is not an attempt to hide or bury expenditures . It is a penalty for overspending. Teams know the consequences of overspending and the bigger risk of cheating. Stop hating the winners.

Overspending isn't cheating? Maybe in your world.

it isn't cheating since it isn't overspending.

it is completely allowable within the rules that a team spends more than the SMS maximum... they just have to be willing to accept the punishment of forfeiting draft picks if they do it.

said this last time they won a GC (also by exceeding the SMS... funny that's the only way they've managed to win lately...) but here is the Truth According to bluto: if ever a team is close to winning a GC and they need another player of two to cover a personnel hole (because of injuries or whatever) and they fail to do so because they aren't willing to exceed the SMS... then that team is managed by a loser who i would never want in charge of my team.