Esks fire Kavis Reed

Goldkobra

The fact that Tim Burke wasn't the first head coach fired this offseason bothers me.

Bombers are trying to get their money’s worth out of him.  They want to pick his brain on his evaluation of players, in preparation for the expansion draft.  Fans might not like it, but that’s actually a smart move to keep him around for a few more weeks.  We’re paying him anyways, may as well get our money’s worth. 

The fact that Tim Burke wasn't the first head coach fired this offseason bothers me.

Bombers are trying to get their money’s worth out of him.  They want to pick his brain on his evaluation of players, in preparation for the expansion draft.  Fans might not like it, but that’s actually a smart move to keep him around for a few more weeks.  We’re paying him anyways, may as well get our money’s worth. 

It's not a smart move at all. Why do we care what Tim Burke thinks of our roster if he's not going to be here?

It's not a smart move at all. Why do we care what Tim Burke thinks of our roster if he's not going to be here?

It's actually a very smart move.  Burke may not be head coach material, but he also isn't an idiot; he was a very well respected defensive coordinaator in the CFL prior to becoming our head coach.  As a GM I'd at least want his thoughts on the players, so I could factor that into my decision on who to protect.  As part of his evaluation over the next few weeks, he is going to be slotting Bomber players into 3-4 categories: 1) player could start for elite CFL teams, 2) could start/play for middle of the pack CFL teams, 3) could start/play for teams like the Bombers, 4) not starter material/other issues.  As a GM I would like to see this information as part of my overall evaluation.  Firing Burke right now is the emotional move, but keeping him around for a few more weeks to pick his brain is the smart/strategic move. 

We've seen Burkes evaluation of players for a year and a half now and quite frankly his ability to do that sucks. 

No surprise that Kavis as let go.  No surprise that Edmonton did it before we get rid of Burke.  They always seem to be one step ahead of us.

Burke is the best guy to do the exit interviews, the player analysis and to create a baseline for the new HC.  Getting Burke's input on who we protect and who we should go after in Free Agency is a good idea too.  We don't have to go with his choices, but the more good football opinions the better IMHO.

It's actually a very smart move.  Burke may not be head coach material, but he also isn't an idiot; he was a very well respected defensive coordinaator in the CFL prior to becoming our head coach.  As a GM I'd at least want his thoughts on the players, so I could factor that into my decision on who to protect.  As part of his evaluation over the next few weeks, he is going to be slotting Bomber players into 3-4 categories: 1) player could start for elite CFL teams, 2) could start/play for middle of the pack CFL teams, 3) could start/play for teams like the Bombers, 4) not starter material/other issues.  As a GM I would like to see this information as part of my overall evaluation.  Firing Burke right now is the emotional move, but keeping him around for a few more weeks to pick his brain is the smart/strategic move. 

Except that's not how you evaluate players at all.

You can't simply slot players into a "they can start for good teams but not bad teams" type classification.

What type of team do you want? What type of players do you want? Can player X fill a role in your defense with their skillset? Do their strengths fit the style of play you're looking for? Are their weaknesses going to be exposed in your schemes? It goes far beyond that, but what you're suggesting is NOT how it works at all.

You really think Walters is not smart enough to see who belongs and who doesn't? We don't need Burke for that! He has screwed up enough selections as to what players play and when. Hell most of us can see who should be playing and who shouldn't.

And just to expand on my last thought, before you go giving any credit to Burke for his ability to assess player weaknesses / strengths, this is the guy that couldn't even identify whether or not his secondary was more suited to play zone or man all year. And defensive backs are supposed to be his specialty.

Bombers are trying to get their money’s worth out of him. They want to pick his brain on his evaluation of players, in preparation for the expansion draft. Fans might not like it, but that’s actually a smart move to keep him around for a few more weeks. We’re paying him anyways, may as well get our money’s worth.

It's actually a very smart move. Burke may not be head coach material, but he also isn't an idiot; he was a very well respected defensive coordinaator in the CFL prior to becoming our head coach. As a GM I'd at least want his thoughts on the players, so I could factor that into my decision on who to protect. As part of his evaluation over the next few weeks, he is going to be slotting Bomber players into 3-4 categories: 1) player could start for elite CFL teams, 2) could start/play for middle of the pack CFL teams, 3) could start/play for teams like the Bombers, 4) not starter material/other issues. As a GM I would like to see this information as part of my overall evaluation. Firing Burke right now is the emotional move, but keeping him around for a few more weeks to pick his brain is the smart/strategic move.

You can't simply slot players into a "they can start for good teams but not bad teams" type classification.

What type of team do you want? What type of players do you want? Can player X fill a role in your defense with their skillset? Do their strengths fit the style of play you're looking for? Are their weaknesses going to be exposed in your schemes? It goes far beyond that, but what you're suggesting is NOT how it works at all.

Well that's what Walters/Miller have asked him to do. Guess you know how to run a team better than they do.

Bombers are trying to get their money’s worth out of him. They want to pick his brain on his evaluation of players, in preparation for the expansion draft. Fans might not like it, but that’s actually a smart move to keep him around for a few more weeks. We’re paying him anyways, may as well get our money’s worth.

It's actually a very smart move. Burke may not be head coach material, but he also isn't an idiot; he was a very well respected defensive coordinaator in the CFL prior to becoming our head coach. As a GM I'd at least want his thoughts on the players, so I could factor that into my decision on who to protect. As part of his evaluation over the next few weeks, he is going to be slotting Bomber players into 3-4 categories: 1) player could start for elite CFL teams, 2) could start/play for middle of the pack CFL teams, 3) could start/play for teams like the Bombers, 4) not starter material/other issues. As a GM I would like to see this information as part of my overall evaluation. Firing Burke right now is the emotional move, but keeping him around for a few more weeks to pick his brain is the smart/strategic move.

Well that's what Walters/Miller have asked him to do. Guess you know how to run a team better than they do.

Until you explain where you've heard that from, I guess there's not really much to discuss.

And just to expand on my last thought, before you go giving any credit to Burke for his ability to assess player weaknesses / strengths, this is the guy that couldn't even identify whether or not his secondary was more suited to play zone or man all year. And defensive backs are supposed to be his specialty.

The level of poor decisions regarding roster management this year should automatically disqualify Burke from giving opinions. Just fire the guy before he does any more harm to the team. 

Until you explain where you've heard that from, I guess there's not really much to discuss.

I'm not sure where the idea came from but I heard the same thing from Burke's mouth, so it must be on audio somewhere.

He did have the players slotted into which players can be starters on which teams and backups etc. I haven't heard of such a system but then, who am I to argue with Burke.

I'm not sure where the idea came from but I heard the same thing from Burke's mouth, so it must be on audio somewhere.

He did have the players slotted into which players can be starters on which teams and backups etc. I haven't heard of such a system but then, who am I to argue with Burke.

If true, that's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. My guess would be that he simplified the explanation of it, but I suppose it's hard for me to say I'd be surprised if the Bombers chose to do it that way.

I heard Burke say this on the post-game commentary after the last game on CJOB.

No surprise that Kavis as let go.  No surprise that Edmonton did it before we get rid of Burke.  They always seem to be one step ahead of us.

Burke is the best guy to do the exit interviews, the player analysis and to create a baseline for the new HC.  Getting Burke's input on who we protect and who we should go after in Free Agency is a good idea too.  We don't have to go with his choices, but the more good football opinions the better IMHO.

You totally contradicted yourself with those two sentences.  First you say that Edmonton is one step ahead of us by firing Reed, then you say it's good that we are keeping Burke around for a few weeks.  ?????

Bizarre. I'd like to hear more of an explanation to this.

I think it just is what it is.  They want an evaluation from the coaches before they are all canned.  They are getting paid anyway.  Whether their evals just go into the dumpster is another discussion.  I personally would keep everyone around until after the Ottawa draft, just so that you know what you are doing and are ready to handle any curve-balls.  I know "Burke is an idiot and should be gone" etc etc but that kind of knee-jerk thinking is one of the reasons we're at 23 years and counting.  Wait until Jan 1 for the axe to fall and meanwhile, at the Grey Cup, be pressing the flesh and interviewing coach and GM candidates.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/eskimos-give-coach-kavis-reed-contract-extension-1.1318715

This extension gives us stability going forward," Eskimos general manager Ed Hervey said in a release. "Leadership is critical to a young football team for success and I know our players work extremely hard for and are committed to coach Reed."

Looks like we know who is taking over "Coach's Playbook" from Lapo on TSN when Lapo takes a job with Ottawa next year.  There are going to be consequences....

Well, you'll be evaluated and slotted into whether you should hear this explanation first hand or whether you should only hear this second-hand, and this could take weeks.

Burke said those were his next steps on the CJOB post game show.

Well according to Wicek in this morning's Freep this could take a couple of weeks.  First they have to remove the "acting" from Miller's title.  Then go through the sham of a fake GM search (my words not his) before removing the "acting" from Walter's title.  Or just announce both of those at once.  Then fire Burke and hire a new HC.