This Shitty Season vs Previous Shitty Seasons

Noeller

So, for all you old boys who like to reminisce.....how does this shitty season rank in your list of shitty seasons?

Dave and I were talking about this current GC drought and how it ranks compared to the one prior to 1984. We figured Do Or Die and Iso would have some insight....

What's the worst drought? Worst season? 

I have pretty strong memories of the 1998 season because I was graduating high school in Pinawa and starting Brandon University. I was struggling to get CJOB to come in on my little radio in my dorm room at BU for that first win of the year. Was a GREAT day, but one of the only ones that season. This one feels about the same...really really tough.

You guys?

On a "I don't really want to watch anymore" scale, this was tied with '09 for me, possibly a little worse. I guess it could really go either way, both seasons made me want to cut myself.

Based on how bad the team was, the only comparison in my time is '98. Oddly enough, I first got season tickets for the '99 season. I guess I thought it couldn't get any worse and convinced myself to buy in.

I've been watching the Bombers for 30 years ... even in the Reinbold years there was some hope or positivity or something. You always felt the Bombers COULD win a game, if they got some bounces or played above their heads or whatever. This year has just been .... despair I guess. No hope. Certainly a lot of anger. 

The Bombers have been a terrible organization for several years - somewhere something went sideways on us, even before Mack showed up. Just the way the organization is run, the politics, the poor communications, the horrific marketing, the lousy management choices.  Yes we've won some games and made it to the Grey Cup. In hindsight we were stupidly lucky and had no business being there.

I'm not sure how they proceed from here. A lot of damage has been done. Only the hardcore fans are left, Nobody else really cares about the Bombers any more. They are going to have a heck of a time selling tickets, and I don't even feel bad for them.   

This reminds me a lot of the year that Dave Ritchie came in after Reinbold was fired.

The team was bad, the season ticket base was decimated, the team was in debt up to its neck and on the verge of bankruptcy.    And within 2 years of Ritchie coming on board, in 2001 we had our 14 -4 season and going to the Grey Cup.  The emergence of Khari Jones and Milt Stegall, Charles Roberts soon after that ... the addition of Doug Brown and the franchise was rejuvenated.  

This city loves a winner, is starved for one, and if they can turn it around, the fans will return in spades.  

The question is, is Wade Miller the guy to do it.  And if he can't, with the debt this team has racked up, can the club survive until the next guy gets dumped in there.

This reminds me a lot of the year that Dave Ritchie came in after Reinbold was fired.

The team was bad, the season ticket base was decimated, the team was in debt up to its neck and on the verge of bankruptcy.    And within 2 years of Ritchie coming on board, in 2001 we had our 14 -4 season and going to the Grey Cup.  The emergence of Khari Jones and Milt Stegall, Charles Roberts soon after that ... the addition of Doug Brown and the franchise was rejuvenated.  

This city loves a winner, is starved for one, and if they can turn it around, the fans will return in spades.  

The question is, is Wade Miller the guy to do it.  And if he can't, with the debt this team has racked up, can the club survive until the next guy gets dumped in there.

100%.....and, just for the record, I have faith in Miller. He might be an *******, but at this point, I think we need an *******...

This season was just plain ridiculous on and off the field.  To put a team that poor on the field in the first year of a new stadium when you have a chance to build and solidify your fan base is an absolute f**k up.  Combine with terrible planning, fan relations and the general poor attitude of the whole organization off the field, and you have a total show of incompetence, a complete disaster transitioning from an old dumpy stadium to a fresh one, should have been a great time for everyone.

It would be impossible to top this in terms of bad.  I mean they could go 0-18, but if they had a half dozen people on payroll who knew how to operate and function within a customer based business off the field they'd fare better than they did this year and through the stadium transition on the whole.  I never thought it would be possible for my loyalty to this team to be tested, but it sure has, I mean I've lived my entire life save for about 9 months in Winnipeg and played football from the time I was 7-22.  It's my favourite sport, I'm bound to be a Bomber fan just by my interests and environment.  If the Bombers can lose my business they can lose almost anyone.

Bud Grant had 2 bad years in 1963 & 64. Injuries killed the team on the field those 2 years & they were beginning to age but Grant kept the core of the team together. IN 1964, the Bombers fininshed 1-14-1 but bounced back in 65 for one last kick at the cat & made it to the GC that year. Well, post Bud Grant era under Joe Zaleski the Bombers went 3-12-1 in 1969 & he was fired. That was on the heels of abysmal seasons in 1967 & 68 under Zaleski when the Dynasty Years became nothing but a faded memory. In 1970, Jim Spavital was the new head coach & he went 2-14. However, there was a new attitude with the team. They lost but they played hard & with enthusiasm like their head coach at the time. The Bombers traded for Don Jonas to go 7-8-1 in 71 to make the playoffs for the first time in 5 seasons.

I don't remember a season where there were so many losses that were not even close.  

Were the games in the  reinebold era frequently that lop sided?

I would say it is comparable. The Bombers were not a good team under Reinbold but (I don't believe I'm saying this) he was a better HC than Burke. I often wonder about Rubley. If he had been on any other CFL team would he have been a success? Something tells me that he might have been a decent starting qb.

This season was just plain ridiculous on and off the field.  To put a team that poor on the field in the first year of a new stadium when you have a chance to build and solidify your fan base is an absolute f**k up.  Combine with terrible planning, fan relations and the general poor attitude of the whole organization off the field, and you have a total show of incompetence, a complete disaster transitioning from an old dumpy stadium to a fresh one, should have been a great time for everyone.

You don't get many opportunities like the club did this year to, as you put it nicely, "build and solidfy your fan base". This was the time to take the recognition of this team to a new level. To bring some new excitement to this city, and to make the innaugural season in the new stadium one remember for a long time. There is no denying the play on the field was awful, but this season has been a mess in more ways than one. I don't think I have ever been this dissapointed at this organization, ever.

Agree with everything being said. I remember the "Reinebold Era" being bad but it was also when the organization was trying to get themselves turned around and become relevant in the city again and avoid bankruptcy. Maybe it was because we had just lost the Jets at the time, but people still loved the Bombers even with the terrible record.

This era, and maybe because the Jets are back, is a whole lot scarier than last time. People at the games I noticed just don't care anymore. Tickets are being GIVEN away. There's this sense that coming to the games now is more of a chore than fun. There's absolutely nothing to cheer for at a game. Even our new stadium seems boring and old now. Losing over and over again has just taken the lustre off and seems to have aged the place already.

So yeah, this is probably as bad as it's been for the Bombers. And not just because of the team itself but because of everyone responsible for the team. The coaches, management and the BOD. Huge overhaul of everything needs to happen next year.

So, for all you old boys who like to reminisce.....how does this shitty season rank in your list of shitty seasons?

Dave and I were talking about this current GC drought and how it ranks compared to the one prior to 1984. We figured Do Or Die and Iso would have some insight....

What's the worst drought? Worst season? 

I have pretty strong memories of the 1998 season because I was graduating high school in Pinawa and starting Brandon University. I was struggling to get CJOB to come in on my little radio in my dorm room at BU for that first win of the year. Was a GREAT day, but one of the only ones that season. This one feels about the same...really really tough.

You guys?

Going forward this team probably has less talent than any I have seen since we won our last cup in 1990.

Actually, you can't separate this season from the two that came before- all under Mack's watch. Cumulatively, they have to be the worst three years in my memory.

Yeah, that trip to the Grey Cup was ******* BRUTAL...

The Grey Cup appearance was a fluke. The Bombers were deteriorating through much of that year,and  stumbled into the payoffs carried by a stellar defence while the opposition in the Eastern Conference was struggling. The real Blue Bombers were exposed in the Grey Cup game as pretenders and were thoroughly humiliated. That was a clear signal that things were going downhill and quickly. The trend continued from there onward to date.

I would rather the Bombers had not made the Cup final than looking that bad. It ranked right up there (but not quite) with the Roughies' 13th man debacle.

We need a QB and a decent coach. We've had neither for a long time, and that's on Mack. Once we've got those two key pieces, everything else will fall in afterwards.  Edmonton was one minute away from having just as bad a season as us, but you don't get the same feeling of despair from them. That's what a good QB gives you. Hope.