Marcel Bellefeuille's offense

gbill2004

I'd like to see Marcel back next season. Our offense is finally starting to look like a legit CFL offense. Less predictable, more screen passes, a run game, more WR motion prior to the snap. A slight improvement to the OL, a full TC and a mobile QB and I think this offense could become explosive and easily put up 30+ points every game.

I really like Max Hall, but I think the lack of a mobile QB is the biggest thing holding back the offense in my opinion, and might also be making the OL look worse than it really is.

The improved offense the last third of the season is a positive I'm going to take into 2014. Also tells me a lot of talented pieces are there, just need some tweaks, like a mobile QB which I expect we will get and 1-2 better OLs or an O-line coach better at developing our current talent and helping them gel as a unit.

I'd like to see Marcel back next season. Our offense is finally starting to look like a legit CFL offense. Less predictable, more screen passes, a run game, more WR motion prior to the snap. A slight improvement to the OL, a full TC and a mobile QB and I think this offense could become explosive and easily put up 30+ points every game.

I really like Max Hall, but I think the lack of a mobile QB is the biggest thing holding back the offense in my opinion, and might also be making the OL look worse than it really is.

The improved offense the last third of the season is a positive I'm going to take into 2014. Also tells me a lot of talented pieces are there, just need some tweaks, like a mobile QB which I expect we will get and 1-2 better OLs or an O-line coach better at developing our current talent and helping them gel as a unit.

Compared to the rest, our o-line hasn't been any worse than anyone else around the league of late. QB's from all teams seem to be constantly running for their life.

the guy has had poor offenses in his past stops, just because there's been little improvements the last couple weeks does not mean he's an offensive genius, just that there was a real low bar to step over. Let's set our sights higher than this guy.

i know your going to spout off about "bend but dont break" defenses and opposition not playing their best defenses but our offense, broken and pathetic as it is on oline and at qb were some of the best in the league in the last 3 games.. that, to me, tells me we could do much worse then bellfuille at the moment.. id not have a problem if we let it ride at the offensive coordinator position for at least the first third of next season..

MB as Head Coach with Rick Worman as our OC is one fairly likely scenario.]

Wormans offense didnt seem too stellar to me during his last kick o' the can..

Agreed.  14-4 was a terrible time for us.  I'm sure being the first crossover team to win a playoff game (largely on an offensive gameplan that destroyed the Bombers zone with passes to backs) was a terrible time for Eskimo fans too.

There may be more to this. Miller said he made the initial call to get Bellefeuille here. My guess is Miller has told Bellefeuille that Burke is gone and offered the HC job to Marcel. Marcel wants Worman as his OC.

Regarding our offensive improvement, we just played the worst defense in the league (other than possibly ours) back to back. People were saying the same thing about our offense after last season. We need a real search for a GM (I thought this was the plan as laid out by Miller), who needs the freedom to hire who he wants. Trying to hold onto  coaching pieces that you think might be responsible for "improvement" (now were still in the game until the fourth quarter before losing) is in part what led to this year's debacle.

MB as Head Coach with Rick Worman as our OC is one fairly likely scenario.]

Wormans offense didnt seem too stellar to me during his last kick o' the can..

Agreed. 14-4 was a terrible time for us. I'm sure being the first crossover team to win a playoff game (largely on an offensive gameplan that destroyed the Bombers zone with passes to backs) was a terrible time for Eskimo fans too.

yea nevermind my bad, for some reason i thought worman was brutal for us at one point but he was OC for only one season.. even in EDM he had a solid offensive output year..

so even though both rosters were much better then ours, if he came in as OC i could see success..

There may be more to this. Miller said he made the initial call to get Bellefeuille here. My guess is Miller has told Bellefeuille that Burke is gone and offered the HC job to Marcel. Marcel wants Worman as his OC.

Regarding our offensive improvement, we just played the worst defense in the league (other than possibly ours) back to back. People were saying the same thing about our offense after last season. We need a real search for a GM (I thought this was the plan as laid out by Miller), who needs the freedom to hire who he wants. Trying to hold onto coaching pieces that you think might be responsible for "improvement" (now were still in the game until the fourth quarter before losing) is in part what led to this year's debacle.

did you just say the eastern division leading argos have the worst defense in the league next to us? stats are for losers, that defense was good enough to win a GC last season and depending on how calgary finishes out, could do it again..

Regarding our offensive improvement, we just played the worst defense in the league (other than possibly ours) back to back. People were saying the same thing about our offense after last season. We need a real search for a GM (I thought this was the plan as laid out by Miller), who needs the freedom to hire who he wants. Trying to hold onto coaching pieces that you think might be responsible for "improvement" (now were still in the game until the fourth quarter before losing) is in part what led to this year's debacle.

did you just say the eastern division leading argos have the worst defense in the league next to us? stats are for losers, that defense was good enough to win a GC last season and depending on how calgary finishes out, could do it again..

They give up more yards than any other team (by a long shot) and  the second most first downs (after us). That will make an offense look better than it is, which was my major point. But your right, that doesn't equate to second "worst" defense; "most porous defense" would have been a better choice of words.

They give up more yards than any other team (by a long shot) and the second most first downs (after us). That will make an offense look better than it is, which was my major point. But your right, that doesn't equate to second "worst" defense; "most porous defense" would have been a better choice of words.

while i agree, they give up a ton of field every game they do get stops when it counts.. we managed to move the ball and get scores..

before, even the argos porous defense would have given us fits..

id not have a problem if we let it ride at the offensive coordinator position for at least the first third of next season..

of course you wouldn't, you'd support anything the Bombers did. MB is known around the CFL and I want to aim higher than a guy who peaked at mediocre. 

A few points/thoughts on Bellefeuille:

First, when Hamilton fired him, he had a 2 years left on his contract, so he spent that time as a developmental sabatical, touring NFL camps to learn how to be a better coach, and to learn how to improve as a CFL OC.  So comparing his offensive system to what he has done this year is not fair.  If anything his offense would now be enhanced based on what he learned during his developmental sabatical. 

Second, the Bombers need to be careful not to get rid of everyone.  Yes there are lots of incompent coaches on the Bombers (Burke, DelMonaco, Creehan) but need to be careful to not paint them all with the same brush.  We do have some good coaches and should try to retain them  Those include Craig Dickenson, Will Plemmons and Marcel Bellefeuille.

If Walters/Miller are smart, they will keep the quality people and get rid of the trash.   

I've got nothing against MB, but like Dave says, why settle for "Well, we could do worse..." ?? Why not shoot for the best??  Certainly, MB isn't the worst option, but there's also a lot better, and that's what I want...

Exactly, yeah the offense improved lately with Bellefeuile, but so what? We have an opportunity here to clean house and get the absolute best people possible, don't squander that because well he's here already...

I've got nothing against MB, but like Dave says, why settle for "Well, we could do worse..." ?? Why not shoot for the best?? Certainly, MB isn't the worst option, but there's also a lot better, and that's what I want...

Exactly, yeah the offense improved lately with Bellefeuile, but so what? We have an opportunity here to clean house and get the absolute best people possible, don't squander that because well he's here already...

And all I'm saying is not to automatically dismiss Bellefeuille just because he's here. He may be the best coach available in certain areas.

Craig Dickenson may just be the best special teams coach in the CFL. By your logic we should get rid of him, just so we can ''clean house'. That's faulty logic in my opinion.