Marcel Bellefeuille's offense

gbill2004

I've got nothing against MB, but like Dave says, why settle for "Well, we could do worse..." ?? Why not shoot for the best?? Certainly, MB isn't the worst option, but there's also a lot better, and that's what I want...

Exactly, yeah the offense improved lately with Bellefeuile, but so what? We have an opportunity here to clean house and get the absolute best people possible, don't squander that because well he's here already...

And all I'm saying is not to automatically dismiss Bellefeuille just because he's here. He may be the best coach available in certain areas.

Craig Dickenson may just be the best special teams coach in the CFL. By your logic we should get rid of him, just so we can ''clean house'. That's faulty logic in my opinion.

Except he's never suggested that we get rid of MB just because he's here right now, he's been saying the whole time that MB goes because he's average. At best.

I've got nothing against MB, but like Dave says, why settle for "Well, we could do worse..." ?? Why not shoot for the best?? Certainly, MB isn't the worst option, but there's also a lot better, and that's what I want...

Exactly, yeah the offense improved lately with Bellefeuile, but so what? We have an opportunity here to clean house and get the absolute best people possible, don't squander that because well he's here already...

And all I'm saying is not to automatically dismiss Bellefeuille just because he's here. He may be the best coach available in certain areas.

Craig Dickenson may just be the best special teams coach in the CFL. By your logic we should get rid of him, just so we can ''clean house'. That's faulty logic in my opinion.

yeah and Dickenson is the one guy I've said I want to keep, here's the difference, Dickenson is widely regarded as one of the best ST coaches in the league where as Bellefeuille has never been regarded as one of the best offensive coordinators, not even close. 

The worst thing that this team can do is stand pat cause there were some late season improvements. We did that last year and look how that worked. 

Bellefeuille should be commended for trying to improve his coach's resume by touring NFL camps.

It's likely to be a boost in attaining a position somewhere in the coaching ranks.

Should it be here?

Highly unlikely.

We could do worse I guess, but I'd rather have an opportunistic guy just waiting to unfurl his new brand of creative coaching.

A kind of anti-Burke.

I may be dreaming of hiring someone like that, but after the starchy, passive coaching we've seen lately, I"m allowed to want more than a kneel and a prayer.

MB the HC > MB the OC

Let him interview for the position with at least 3 or 4 others and may the best man win.

Do you think it is possible to hire an offensive-minded head coach and have him operate at arms length from the OC successfully, who potentially has conflicting views on scheme?

I don't.

I don't know about MB but others have done it. Would be something to discuss when he's interviewed which is why they better have a process of interviews planned.

This is all so perplexing.  We want to hire the best GM available, and we don't want our President to meddle in football ops... but now there are rumours that the President's out trying to install a coach. 

If this is true, this is soooooooo not good.  Horse before the cart, people.

If you're referring to Worman, it wasn't to be a coach but to work in player personnel.

MB the HC > MB the OC

Let him interview for the position with at least 3 or 4 others and may the best man win.

In what universe did you figure that out?

His OC record with the Roughriders was 29-25 from 2003-2005.  He wasn't an OC again until the Ticats grabbed him in 2008, and then that was only for half a season until he was upgraded to HC.  As HC of the Ticats he went 27-35.  So how you get that he was better as a HC then an OC I have no idea.  I'd say he was pretty equal as both considering the first year with the Ticats he inherited crap.

I have to agree, he's mediocre, and this team needs a true winner that can turn things around.

id not have a problem if we let it ride at the offensive coordinator position for at least the first third of next season..

of course you wouldn't, you'd support anything the Bombers did. MB is known around the CFL and I want to aim higher than a guy who peaked at mediocre.

yes, hes known around the cfl AND knows the game inside and out... we could do alot worse...

regardless, did I say "stop the searches! abandon all other resumes! marcel is the man!!"

no. i said i wouldnt be upset if he was back.. christ.

The reason I wouldn't touch Bellefeuille with a 10 foot pole for a permanent job here (OC or HC) is that he has a horrible track record at developing young QB's, which is what we need to do. Yes, he can build a 7-9 win team around Marcus Crandell or Kevin Glenn, so can any coach in professional football.

Burke said on his coaches show last night that the Bombers will be hiring a QB coach in the offseason. I think Bellefeuille and a QB coach would be a very nice combo.

Sounds like Cortez will be available as he is quickly on his way out in Regina.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole as HC but he might be a decent OC.

I'm loathe to make him wear the goat horns for SK's recent slide as Durant has killed many seemingly smart OC's.

But yes, cart and horse people ---->  GM then HC, then OC/DC/ST (hopefully C Dickenson).

Speaking of Durant...... I wonder if our next GM could get him? Rather have Collaros but DD has some great skills. 

yes, hes known around the cfl AND knows the game inside and out... we could do alot worse...

regardless, did I say "stop the searches! abandon all other resumes! marcel is the man!!"

no. i said i wouldnt be upset if he was back.. christ.

Is there a worse reason to base a hiring decision on, than "we could do a lot worse?"

If we want the mediocrity in Winnipeg to finally end, we have to hire an HC that has a realistic plan on how to turn the franchise around.  Not simply a guy who is the best of the mediocre.

Not taking a shot at Bellefeuille.  Taking aim at what I consider to be a comment that reeks of commitment to mediocrity.

If Cortez was available I would grab him ASAP.

Durant is a whiner who kills OC's by not believing in what they want to do (which naturally affects his play within their systems) unless it's exactly what he wants to do.  He's just lucky that he is pretty talented and has a couple of exceptionally good receivers (Dressler specifically). 

Durant is a whiner who kills OC's by not believing in what they want to do (which naturally affects his play within their systems) unless it's exactly what he wants to do.  He's just lucky that he is pretty talented and has a couple of exceptionally good receivers (Dressler specifically). 

I'm pretty sure he single handedly had Marshall run out of town.

...or so I've always believed.

I'm pretty sure he single handedly had Marshall run out of town.

...or so I've always believed.

I'd buy into that. Never EVER been a DD fan...

Yeah Durant is a talented qb, but man is he a princess when it comes to his coaches. Without his grandpa Miller around he just doesn't seem to give a **** what any coach wants him to do. Doug Berry offense he threw for like 5500 yards and ran for another 500 but still Berry had to be run out of town, makes no sense to me.

Yeah Durant is a talented qb, but man is he a princess when it comes to his coaches. Without his grandpa Miller around he just doesn't seem to give a **** what any coach wants him to do. Doug Berry offense he threw for like 5500 yards and ran for another 500 but still Berry had to be run out of town, makes no sense to me.

All true, but I'd take him. He would be the best QB, talent wise, that we've had in a decade. Just need to build the system to fits his needs -- can't pretend he's AC or Ricky Ray.

MB the HC > MB the OC

In what universe did you figure that out?

His OC record with the Roughriders was 29-25 from 2003-2005.  He wasn't an OC again until the Ticats grabbed him in 2008, and then that was only for half a season until he was upgraded to HC.  As HC of the Ticats he went 27-35.  So how you get that he was better as a HC then an OC I have no idea.  I'd say he was pretty equal as both considering the first year with the Ticats he inherited crap.

I have to agree, he's mediocre, and this team needs a true winner that can turn things around.

lol, that's because I wouldn't want him as an OC period. If he just managed the game on game day and left the rest up to his co-ordinators, I could handle that. Having said that though, there should be a full blown hunt and process to finding a new HC, let him interview, there's no harm in that.