Phil Sheegl

DR. CFL

I think it's a relevant topic.  Asper has been involved with the team for way too long.  If they want to show real change in the organization, he's going to have to go.  He just can't let go of the reins and it's not healthy for the team.  He had a huge role in getting the team into a new stadium and should be commended for it, but it is time for him to take a step back.

I think it's a relevant topic.  Asper has been involved with the team for way too long.  If they want to show real change in the organization, he's going to have to go.  He just can't let go of the reins and it's not healthy for the team.  He had a huge role in getting the team into a new stadium and should be commended for it, but it is time for him to take a step back.

What is Asper actually doing that is so negative to the team?  Wasn't he one of the BOD members who didn't want Joe Mack in the first place?  He didnt get his way then.  If he had pushed his agenda maybe we'd be in a better position.

What is Asper actually doing that is so negative to the team?  Wasn't he one of the BOD members who didn't want Joe Mack in the first place?  He didnt get his way then.  If he had pushed his agenda maybe we'd be in a better position.

BoD should have no say in the hiring of anyone other than the President/CEO.  That's a problem right there.  Shouldn't be remotely involved in football operations.  It's the meddling that has to end.  Whether the result of the meddling is good or bad is irrelevant.  He should simply have no say.  Hire a President, and get out of the way.  He won't do that, and he has been involved with this team longer than anyone else.  Time for him to go.

At the time Mack was hired, there wasnt a CEO was there?  Buchko came after if I recall.

Besides which, thats a terrible answer.  Because the BOD hired a GM, Asper should go?  Come on...

The hiring of the GM is beside the point.  Asper wasn't even on the board of directors when Mack was hired.  He was kicked off in 2005 for making an ass of himself.  He re-joined them in 2011 and started meddling in football ops right away as the team went into a downward spiral into where it's at today.  And now he is the vice-chair.  Make no mistake, nothing happens at the Winnipeg Football Club until it goes through David Asper.

At the time Mack was hired, there wasnt a CEO was there?  Buchko came after if I recall.

Besides which, thats a terrible answer.  Because the BOD hired a GM, Asper should go?  Come on...

I think Jim Bell was acting CEO.

Sucks for Buchko... Jim Bell was around when Mack was hired, Bell was around when we were told the stadium would be ready for 2012 (before Buchko) and Buchko gets all the flack cause of his frosted tips.

Asper is very successful.  Look, I wish I was wealthy and famous too but Im not jealous of the guy's success.  A bit of that going around here.  Id rather have more people like him involved with the Bombers, guys who passionately love the team and want it to succeed.

Tell me about all of his successes then.  Tell me about all of Creswin's huge projects.  Do they compare with what Leo Ledohowski has done in this city when it comes to large construction projects?

NOTE:  This is not meant as support for Ledohowski's dome proposal for the Bombers a few years back as that was a pipedream.  Just saying I don't think David Asper's "success" is as great as some claim it to be. 

I'm thinking Asper shouldn't be on the BOD either.  2005 proves he can't help himself from getting involved in the day-to-day affairs of the team.

Asper wasn't kicked off the BoD. He resigned.

Asper is very successful.  Look, I wish I was wealthy and famous too but Im not jealous of the guy's success.  A bit of that going around here.  Id rather have more people like him involved with the Bombers, guys who passionately love the team and want it to succeed.

Tell me about all of his successes then.  Tell me about all of Creswin's huge projects.  Do they compare with what Leo Ledohowski has done in this city when it comes to large construction projects?

You mean like The Met that Canad Inns bought in 2006 but couldn't complete renovations by the 2009 deadline, almost lost the building and then didn't start the renovations again until 2010 after getting government grants. Or like when the City awarded Canad Inns a $7M grant to build a waterpark at Polo Park but then rescinded it when Canad Inns hadn't done anything a year later. I'm not bashing Ledohoski or Canad Inns - just pointing out that you seem to have a selective memory.