B-F-F-C

Higgins

Tillman

Shivers

Rita

O'Billovich

Maciocia

There's half a dozen guys with GM experience before you even get into AGM's

Sure it's easy to throw out a bunch of names. But Would you really want any of these guys? I'd rather stick with Walters over any of those washed up GM's.

There are a few AGM's out there but still unproven when it comes to running a team on their own.

So, you'd hire another guy trying to prove himself (Kyle Walters) over a guy (Tom Higgins) who has coached & managed two CFL teams & won a GC in Edmonton? That is  why this team is so bad & has been bad for so long. We keep recycling thru the same inexperienced cheap hires to run the team. Walters has proven exactly, what??? All he should be is a caretaker GM until we hire someone else & that is it. The experienced guy we need here is Higgins. Not Tillman who is a pervert, Macciocia who is a bumbling fool, Obie & Rita who are too old.

Too old........70 is the new 50 man, get with it, and who better to hit free agency with than a wily old coot.  

I know Rita is retired for good. Same with Obie. And as far as Higgins goes, He's been Director Of Officiating so he sees every game. He knows the direction the CFL is going as far as the style of play is concerned. He's in his late 50's. Has all of his connections. He'd be a great addition out of all those guys listed.

So, has there been any word out of Higgins since heading into the CFL offices, that he has ANY interest whatsoever in becoming a GM again?

I'm not discounting the opinion that Higgins is a viable candidate... but if he has no interest in it......

He's applied for every opening in the CFL so I'm sure he is.

Let's just hire John Murphy and be done with it

What has John Murphy done?   Don't forget he has John Hufnagel calling the shots.  

Murphy is  a great scout but can he take the next step?  What has he done to prove to you he can?  Or is it just your pure hatred of the current team that clouds your judgement?

Kyle Walters is a smart guy who's worked in Canadian Football his entire career. He understands what's needed.  Unlike Joe Mack.

As much as I don't mind at all what Walters has done so far, I was looking at his previous experience....04-05 Guelph DC, 06-09 Guelph HC, 10-12 Bombers STC, at which point he was promoted to AGM. Is there something I'm missing that qualifies him more? Outside of being AGM under an inexperienced GM in Mack, I don't see anything that would have made him a top choice at all.

As much as I don't mind at all what Walters has done so far, I was looking at his previous experience....04-05 Guelph DC, 06-09 Guelph HC, 10-12 Bombers STC, at which point he was promoted to AGM. Is there something I'm missing that qualifies him more? Outside of being AGM under an inexperienced GM in Mack, I don't see anything that would have made him a top choice at all.

As a coach in the CIS.  They do all the recruiting of players and much of the scouting.     

But my point was more to what has John Murphy done that makes him a top candidate.   He has yet to show that he can succeed as the top man making all the decisions.  Today everything  goes thru John Hufnagel first.   

A good example was Desjardins who was AGM under Jim Popp and then became the GM in Hamilton where he failed miserably.   Most of the AGM's that many are raising as the next AGM, are working under a long time successful CFL GM's.  So the question is.  How will they do once they're on their own?

This is a great argument that Walters should be our Cdn scout.

Again...you're all missing the original point. What Makes John Murphy a better candidate than Kyle Walters?

When was the last time John Murphy negotiated a trade?

No I see your point. I agree that Murphy is no more prepared either. I'm just wondering how either of these guys is qualified to undertake the massive rebuild this team is going to go through. I'd feel better with someone more experienced overseeing it all, but it's not as though there are too many of those guys just lying around.

So, has there been any word out of Higgins since heading into the CFL offices, that he has ANY interest whatsoever in becoming a GM again?

I'm not discounting the opinion that Higgins is a viable candidate... but if he has no interest in it......

He's applied for every opening in the CFL so I'm sure he is.

And he's never been hired. This is giving me worrying flashbacks to the Greg Marshall situation.

People have no idea what people are doing in their respective positions regardless of what their actual job title is. To say someone what as Dir PP, AGM, or Dir of F Ops they are actually doing is a misconception.

Way to add to the thread  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

This is a great argument that Walters should be our Cdn scout.

Again...you're all missing the original point.  What Makes John Murphy a better candidate than Kyle Walters?  

When was the last time John Murphy negotiated a trade? 

Well, 9 cfl seasons is one argument... and the fact that Calgary is absolutely stacked with NIs

But, honestly, I just want a team with a good number of bodies in mgmt and scouting and a couple more coaches.  A nice mix of experience and rookies is fine - as long as they complement each other... don't really care who it is in the end.

If we hire Walters as GM, then hire three exp CFL guys to help him out...

Well I guarantee that if Walter's is the new GM.  There's no one else in the league that understands the value of the Cdn depth more than he does.  If he had final say in the draft we would have taken Edem 1st overall vs Mulumba.  Who knows what other recommendations Mack ignored when it came to the draft.

Well I guarantee that if Walter's is the new GM.  There's no one else in the league that understands the value of the Cdn depth more than he does.  If he had final say in the draft we would have taken Edem 1st overall vs Mulumba.  Who knows what other recommendations Mack ignored when it came to the draft.

If I had final say, we would have taken Edem...  I mean it wasn't exactly an off-the-charts pick.

I just feel like Walters is getting a bit too much credit now that people are realizing the level of Mack's incompetence.

If you could convince Walters to stay on as AGM, I wouldn't mind bringing Murphy in as GM...  I'd only accept taking a first-time GM if he had someone with some decent experience underneath him as AGM.

I truly don't understand all the love Murphy gets on here.  What has he done to prove to you that he'll be a successful GM in the league?  Trust me, Hufnagel is a control freak and nothing happens unless he gives his blessing.  So is the success in Calgary Hufs doing or Murphy's.  Because Hufnagel controls every aspect of the football operations of the club.  He doesn't allow any of his coaches do radio or TV interviews.  Everything goes thru him. 

If you could convince Walters to stay on as AGM, I wouldn't mind bringing Murphy in as GM...  I'd only accept taking a first-time GM if he had someone with some decent experience underneath him as AGM.

I truly don't understand all the love Murphy gets on here.  What has he done to prove to you that he'll be a successful GM in the league?  Trust me, Hufnagel is a control freak and nothing happens unless he gives his blessing.  So is the success in Calgary Hufs doing or Murphy's.  Because Hufnagel controls every aspect of the football operations of the club.  He doesn't allow any of his coaches do radio or TV interviews.  Everything goes thru him. 

That's an interesting question from an evaluation point of view.  What can you look at when determining if a person will be a good GM?

1.  Past experience - This is, of course, the easiest thing to look at and also the most surefire way to know what you're getting.  Have they done the job before, and did they do it well?

2.  AGM experience - Failing to have actual experience, you have to move on to their body of work in other areas, as an assistant or director of player personnel.  I think this is the most alluring part about John Murphy.  He brought in pretty good talent in his short time here and he has always brought in solid talent for Calgary. That doesn't mean he can manage a team, but bringing in quality players is a big part of the puzzle.

3.  League associations - How in tune is he with the league?  How long has he been around?  Has he worked in a successful organization?   You talk about all the great things Hufnagel does for the Stamps, well, can we infer that Murphy has learned something from that?  He certainly has connections to good coaches like Dave Dickenson and Rick Campbell... could we use that to our advantage?

4.  References - This may be a little superficial because it's rare that a football executive will get trashed publicly, but sometimes we can learn from what other people say about them.  In Murphy's case, I've never heard a bad word spoken about him, even from his time working with Mike Kelly.  This could be a plus.

I think there's a lot to like about Murphy, but it's true he is still an unknown.  He is the kind of guy you would need to surround with experienced people so he doesn't get overwhelmed, but if we are looking at hiring a GM neophyte, I think we could do a lot worse than him.

A few interesting names being tossed around.  Kinda on the fence about Murphy.  I wonder if the Duane Forde talk will start up again?  Bottom line is we gotta get things right this time, no more screw-ups.  Whoever gets the job has one heck of a mess to clean up and we cannot afford another 2-3 years of "rebuilding".  God, I'm so sick of that word...