Bombers sign 3 sponsorship deals

Bomber_fanaddict

I'm not sure how I missed this in the news and on here but the Bombers signed 3 Crown corporations to sponsorship deals back in August.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/08/09/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-sponsorship-deals-with-three-manitoba-crown-corporations/

It's good to see MPI is coving the cost of the park and ride and all the bus services as I was worried that ticket proces might go up if they started charging for the park and ride service.  Good to see all the support!

Don't like it... if you ask me Manitoba Hydro and Manitoba Public Insurance should be completely disallowed from any sort of advertising that isn't DIRECTLY associated with providing information for the public good (I.E. they should only be allowed to spend money promoting something that is directly related to improving their bottom line or public safety - Hydro's stay away from power lines or energy saving tips are a good example, MPI's anti drunk driver campaigns another)

What public good are they serving with this promotional money... nothing other than getting their name out there, which is irrelevant considering we have no other choice in using them.

MLLC I have less of a problem with, at least they have to compete with the wine/beer stores for business  (I actually don't think they should be allowed to advertise their liquor selections whatsoever since we have no other choice but to go to the MLLC for those purchases)

This is not a good thing for Manitoba taxpayers. This is basically the ndp finding a way for the taxpayer to pay down the loans the taxpayer funded.

It is good for the football team though, however, at the end of the day I'd rather private companies were sponsoring the Bombers and crown corporations stuck to their knitting.

Don't like it... if you ask me Manitoba Hydro and Manitoba Public Insurance should be completely disallowed from any sort of advertising that isn't DIRECTLY associated with providing information for the public good (I.E. they should only be allowed to spend money promoting something that is directly related to improving their bottom line or public safety - Hydro's stay away from power lines or energy saving tips are a good example, MPI's anti drunk driver campaigns another)

What public good are they serving with this promotional money... nothing other than getting their name out there, which is irrelevant considering we have no other choice in using them.

MLLC I have less of a problem with, at least they have to compete with the wine/beer stores for business  (I actually don't think they should be allowed to advertise their liquor selections whatsoever since we have no other choice but to go to the MLLC for those purchases)

Would you rather no sponsors and have to pay more to attend games?

I think I'd rather have a government corps use this as a tax break and aleviate some of the cost on the fans.  If not ticket prices would likely soar forcing fans to stay home.  And you don't HAVE to use MB hydro.  You could pay Saskpower to come install a line to your house if you really want! :)

I think I'd rather have a government corps use this as a tax break and aleviate some of the cost on the fans.  If not ticket prices would likely soar forcing fans to stay home.  And you don't HAVE to use MB hydro.  You could pay Saskpower to come install a line to your house if you really want! :)

No you can't, at least not if Hydro says you can't

---

C.C.S.M. c. H190

The Manitoba Hydro Act

Powers of corporation with approval of L. G. in C.

16(1)       With the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council the corporation may

© require any person generating, transmitting, distributing, or supplying power, to supply such power to the corporation as the board may from time to time require or designate;

(d) within such territorial or other limits as the Lieutenant Governor in Council may from time to time prescribe, control and regulate the development, generation, transmission, distribution, and supply, of power in Manitoba, and, for any of those purposes, control and regulate the flow of, and right to use for the generation of power, or any purpose connected therewith, the water in any lake, river, or watercourse, or other body of water in Manitoba, and the taking, diversion, storage, or pondage of any such water;

---

C.C.S.M. c. H190

The Manitoba Hydro Act

16(1)       With the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council the corporation may

© require any person generating, transmitting, distributing, or supplying power, to supply such power to the corporation as the board may from time to time require or designate;

(d) within such territorial or other limits as the Lieutenant Governor in Council may from time to time prescribe, control and regulate the development, generation, transmission, distribution, and supply, of power in Manitoba, and, for any of those purposes, control and regulate the flow of, and right to use for the generation of power, or any purpose connected therewith, the water in any lake, river, or watercourse, or other body of water in Manitoba, and the taking, diversion, storage, or pondage of any such water;

Too much reading for a Friday.  I suppose if you got approval and had enough money you could but really whats the point? 

Still I'd rather have any support for the club then no support at all!

---

C.C.S.M. c. H190

The Manitoba Hydro Act

Too much reading for a Friday.  I suppose if you got approval and had enough money you could but really whats the point? 

Still I'd rather have any support for the club then no support at all!

I don't consider paying more than it would cost to go off the grid just to get power from another supplier (not including however much you would need to bribe people to actually get an approval) an actual option.

IMO this isn't support for the Bombers, this is MB government playing with numbers so that they don't need to worry about having to deal with the Bombers being late/short on loan payments.

Politicking != support

Tax break? For who?

There is no other way to think about this than the taxpayer paying out of one pocket for the taxpayers share of this stadium and paying out of the other pocket for the crown corporations share of this stadium.

There is only one taxpayer. This is nothing more than a sneaky government subsidy.

Ticket prices soar? Probably not so much. Pretty sure private industry would have stepped forward. Probably not as lucrative as the bottomless wallet of the ndp.

Ticket prices can only go up if there is demand.  Same goes for parking and concessions.  Already this season every parking lot I walk by off-campus on my way to the stadium has lowered their price.  Some started at $20, some at $15, most are at $10 now, one at $8.

Concessions in my area were noticeably barren.  Guessing we won't be paying $9 for a 8 inch pizza much longer, or a bunch of vendors may not return.

Wonder how many of those $200 season passes the Bombers ended up selling.  I know there was 5300 spots allocated for gameday.  Anyone know?

For the games I have gone to, I park at the MPI building for $10.  It's about a 20 minute walk from the stadium entrance.

I heard estimates of costs for renting additional buses and additional cadets for traffic control after that first exhiibition game to be in the neighbourhood of $100 000 per game.  Not sure if that's true, but if it is that would have been an additional $1 million in costs the Bombers would have to deal with.  Guess they don't have to worry about that anymore...

Wonder how many of those $200 season passes the Bombers ended up selling.  I know there was 5300 spots allocated for gameday.  Anyone know?

For the games I have gone to, I park at the MPI building for $10.  It's about a 20 minute walk from the stadium entrance.

I heard estimates of costs for renting additional buses and additional cadets for traffic control after that first exhiibition game to be in the neighbourhood of $100 000 per game.  Not sure if that's true, but if it is that would have been an additional $1 million in costs the Bombers would have to deal with.  Guess they don't have to worry about that anymore...

So, is it the U of M who won't build a parking lot on the old golf course land??? That would go a long way to alleviate problems.

So, is it the U of M who won't build a parking lot on the old golf course land??? That would go a long way to alleviate problems.

I don't think that's a solution.  The problem is getting people on and off the campus, adding more cars wouldn't help without adding another route on and off campus.  Most people don't want to park on campus unless they have mobility issues.  They aren't selling the parking they have available now.

I don't think that's a solution.  The problem is getting people on and off the campus, adding more cars wouldn't help without adding another route on and off campus.  Most people don't want to park on campus unless they have mobility issues.  They aren't selling the parking they have available now.

Just a question but do you think that fans will be happy taking buses for the next 50-60 years to Bomber games? I think the novelty will wear off fast. If Winnipeg had rapid transit like Calgary's C Train or the mono rail train in Vancouver right to the stadium it might be different. I just have my doubts. People like driving to the games & parking their cars. I've been to 2 games this season & used the bus. I enjoy listening to the post game show in my car after the game. By the time I get back to the arena parking lot where my car is in St Vital the post game show is over. If I went to 10 games a year by bus I may not like it.

The UoM has plans to build housing for students and staff there at some point in time. They won't allow any parking there.

So typical. Land is a golf course for decades & now sits vacant. They build a 33,000 seat stadium & the U of M says no to more parking. Maybe I'm wrong but the academic entitlement of the jackasses that run the university pisses me off. Building it there was a mistake. Thanks Vic Toews.

The location is just fine. People need to get over it. Especially those not paying for the stadium.

Most people I've spoken with have discovered the park and rides are excellent travel options. The rapid transit/train argument is somewhat specious. The buses are direct and usually take 20 - 30 minutes. Not a big deal.

If listening to a post game show is the difference-maker the Japanese invented a great new technology: a portable radio.

The location is just fine. People need to get over it. Especially those not paying for the stadium.

Most people I've spoken with have discovered the park and rides are excellent travel options. The rapid transit/train argument is somewhat specious. The buses are direct and usually take 20 - 30 minutes. Not a big deal.

If listening to a post game show is the difference-maker the Japanese invented a great new technology: a portable radio.

Download the Corus app.  Listen to it on the phone.  Easy.