Game 71 @ Blues

iHeart

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah that was a mistake I thought.  Get a few fresh guys into the lineup.

Taking out somebody playing well doesn't make sense. The 3rd and 4th lines are the ones putting out the best effort. Nobody in the top 6 are coming out. Capo almost never plays and Stanley is a liability. Both those defensemen won't be here next season. AJF might be the only here in 2024.

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Are you saying they aren’t?

No, technically they are. I even think they'll make it into the playoffs. My point is that they are far from where most fans would want them to be. In the lasat 15 to 17 games they have one of the worst records in the NHL. Anything can happen I guess, but frustration with this is perfectly reasonable ...

17 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

To better understand how confident Jet fans are in them making the playoffs this year with 11 games to play what percentage would people give them out of 100%?

My nervous nelly response is 50%. 

With the way Calgary is playing and the Predators tough schedule upcoming, and the points the Jets banked earlier, I’ll say 85% chance Winnipeg gets in. 

I agree with most that they'll make playoffs..... but likely will get punted hard and fast unless they somehow figure out how to score. I haven't seen an NHL PP this bad in forever.... they look like the Jr A team I cover. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

With the way Calgary is playing and the Predators tough schedule upcoming, and the points the Jets banked earlier, I’ll say 85% chance Winnipeg gets in. 

The way things have been trending of late these three teams will limp into post season so it's not who goes on a heater but who limps the least gets in.

I am not thrilled at all with the way the Jets have been playing, especially the power play and seemingly chasing the game early so much, BUT…..

I had zero expectations of them being in the playoffs at the start of the year. So they overachieved big time through mid-January, and I did not drink the Kool-aid and get false expectations. So the slide has not eaten away at me so much. Getting into the playoffs would be pleasant but not a “successful” year, and I believe they banked enough points early that they will get in. It would take a playoff series victory to qualify as a “successful” year. Is there a team they can upset in round 1?  Colorado extremely doubtful, even with the early season success they had (Avs were injured so those results in October/November don’t really mean anything). Minnesota I’d say no because the Wild just seem to know how to play the Jets well. Dallas might be the most plausible, if puck luck and goalie match-up is won. That and the power play gets un-stuck. And who knows who will win the Pacific, but I think any of them are beatable with a goalies they would face. But the Jets could easily be swept in 4 by any of them as well.

I think the play has been better than the results more nights than not (blew a lead in Jersey, got a bit goalied in Long Island, blew a lead against LA and San Jose, got goalied big time against San Jose and Minnesota, probably outplayed Boston but you need to be perfect against them and not just better, played decent enough to deserve a point in Carolina) but their bad efforts have looked really bad, and that is what gets noticed. 

Having said all that, come the summer this team does need an overhaul of some sort. First thing is sign Hellebuyck to another extension and build the team around his likely $9-10 million per year salary. Then go to Dubois and determine if there is any chance he will sign long term this summer. If he says he wants to rest free agency, move him immediately to Montreal for one their first round picks this year (and another one next year if Florida makes the playoffs and their pick is lower) plus a solid centreman and depth defence in return. Once Dubois is figured out then it will determine if Scheifele is a “must keep” or “move on”. If there is no clarity early on those three, then fans should brace for, and more importantly accept, a tear down and re-build that means 3-4 years out of the playoffs. Reality of today’s NHL is that to be really good, you first have to be really bad for a while and get those top 3 draft picks - and get them to stay. 

Anyway, just my random rambling thoughts on things. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

46 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I am not thrilled at all with the way the Jets have been playing, especially the power play and seemingly chasing the game early so much, BUT…..

I had zero expectations of them being in the playoffs at the start of the year. So they overachieved big time through mid-January, and I did not drink the Kool-aid and get false expectations. So the slide has not eaten away at me so much. Getting into the playoffs would be pleasant but not a “successful” year, and I believe they banked enough points early that they will get in. It would take a playoff series victory to qualify as a “successful” year. Is there a team they can upset in round 1?  Colorado extremely doubtful, even with the early season success they had (Avs were injured so those results in October/November don’t really mean anything). Minnesota I’d say no because the Wild just seem to know how to play the Jets well. Dallas might be the most plausible, if puck luck and goalie match-up is won. That and the power play gets un-stuck. And who knows who will win the Pacific, but I think any of them are beatable with a goalies they would face. But the Jets could easily be swept in 4 by any of them as well.

I think the play has been better than the results more nights than not (blew a lead in Jersey, got a bit goalied in Long Island, blew a lead against LA and San Jose, got goalied big time against San Jose and Minnesota, probably outplayed Boston but you need to be perfect against them and not just better, played decent enough to deserve a point in Carolina) but their bad efforts have looked really bad, and that is what gets noticed. 

Having said all that, come the summer this team does need an overhaul of some sort. First thing is sign Hellebuyck to another extension and build the team around his likely $9-10 million per year salary. Then go to Dubois and determine if there is any chance he will sign long term this summer. If he says he wants to rest free agency, move him immediately to Montreal for one their first round picks this year (and another one next year if Florida makes the playoffs and their pick is lower) plus a solid centreman and depth defence in return. Once Dubois is figured out then it will determine if Scheifele is a “must keep” or “move on”. If there is no clarity early on those three, then fans should brace for, and more importantly accept, a tear down and re-build that means 3-4 years out of the playoffs. Reality of today’s NHL is that to be really good, you first have to be really bad for a while and get those top 3 draft picks - and get them to stay. 

Anyway, just my random rambling thoughts on things. 

Some good points, but why would Montreal give up anything for a player they will get for free the next year? Dubois has really screwed us if he doesn't sign long term.  

13 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Some good points, but why would Montreal give up anything for a player they will get for free the next year? Dubois has really screwed us if he doesn't sign long term.  

PLD hasn't screwed us. He's still playing out his contract. He doesn't owe anyone anything beyond that. He's played long enough to be a UFA next year. 

Just now, JCon said:

PLD hasn't screwed us. He's still playing out his contract. He doesn't owe anyone anything beyond that. He's played long enough to be a UFA next year. 

Yeah but the fact that it was released that Montreal is the only place he wants to play has definitely screwed us. Normally at least we would have a few teams to trade him to. 

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

Yeah but the fact that it was released that Montreal is the only place he wants to play has definitely screwed us. Normally at least we would have a few teams to trade him to. 

Sounds like our GM did not do his homework. 

The leverage Chevy has is giving Montreal one year on term without competition to negotiate long-term with Dubois. If he is a UFA Montreal has 30 other teams to bid with. As much as Dubois talks about wanting to play there, if an $11 million offer came up in Tampa or Vegas, Dubois may well jump there. 

IIRC, it was Nic "Self-Proclaimed NHL Insider" Kypreos who made some speculative comments back in January on Tim & Friends; I'd take those comments with a grain of salt considering the source. It was barely discussed anywhere else back then.

Of course this comes up again now that the Jets are struggling. That doesn't make any of the speculation credible or accurate, though - then or now. Kypreos is a clown.