Coddled Dome Dwellers @ Back 2 Back Champs: The Week Of Thread

Noeller

Just now, TBURGESS said:

He's on his first CFL contract after being drafted. The Lions have asked the league to let them pay Rourke more than the CFL max for Cdn's on their first contract.

Oh he did sign a 3 year deal. I thought he was on a 2 year. This makes his possible "too soon return" even more risky for BC. 

I wonder if that changes if he is released to pursue the NFL?

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

He's on his first CFL contract after being drafted. The Lions have asked the league to let them pay Rourke more than the CFL max for Cdn's on their first contract.

That is only in effect for 2 years. They can terminate the contract and sign him to a new contract after this season as standard CFL contracts for first time players are designated at 2 years.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

if he gets an NFL opportunity..they will release him...if he doesnt stick...they will be paying him about 500k I would think...roughly 6.5 times more than now so yeah...he will be getting more than 5x

If BC lets him go for the NFL, is he still obligated to resume his contract if/when he returns? Or will he be allowed to sign a new one?

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Oh he did sign a 3 year deal. I thought he was on a 2 year. This makes his possible "too soon return" even more risky for BC. 

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

Doesn't matter. What they couldn't do is raise his pay for this year as he is on his rookie deal and that must run for 2 years. The third year of his contract can be ripped up and he can sign an extension.

Just now, GCn20 said:

That is only in effect for 2 years. They can terminate the contract and sign him to a new contract after this season as standard CFL contracts for first time players are designated at 2 years.

yup....and he gonna be released in off-season if he gets a shot...so if/when back...he will be getting top starter money, and who knows..maybe a bidding war....regardless tho if he back in BC their team will be vastly changed to make that work...and far inferior

All Nationals will be required to sign a minimum 2 + 1 first contract and follow
the salary grid at outlined below:
“A” Grid – 1
st or 2nd round C.F.L. Draft Choice
“B” Grid – 3
rd or 4th round C.F.L. Draft Choice

1st Year 2nd Year 3rd Year
Max. - Min. Salary $65,000 $65,000 Option year
base salary to
be negotiated -
not to exceed
10% more than
the 2nd year
base salary
Max. Sign or
Housing (Optional)
$7,500 $7,500
50% + 1 based on
offence and
defence snaps
(Optional)
$7,500 $7,500

base salary to
be negotiated -
not to exceed
10% more than
the 2nd year
base salary
Max. Sign or
Housing (Optional)
$5,000 $5,000
50% + 1 based on
offence and
defence snaps
(Optional)
$7,500 $7,500

Just now, Booch said:

yup....and he gonna be released in off-season if he gets a shot...so if/when back...he will be getting top starter money, and who knows..maybe a bidding war....regardless tho if he back in BC their team will be vastly changed to make that work...and far inferior

If they re-up him he forgoes the NFL window. That's the reason for doing it. However, if they don't his rights remain with BC on his current contract.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

If true the Lions should be locking Rourke down now a week before the WSF, the fact that they haven't got it done yet makes me think he's still considering his options.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

If BC lets him go for the NFL, is he still obligated to resume his contract if/when he returns? Or will he be allowed to sign a new one?

they will release him...its the only way he can go or no team will touch him...well cant....so if he comes back...he's free game for all...at whatever price some idiot G.M wants to throw at him for basically a to this point half yr wonder...surround him with less talent and film on him and see how he progresses...seen this song and dance before...2x in B.C too

1 minute ago, Booch said:

they will release him...its the only way he can go or no team will touch him...well cant....so if he comes back...he's free game for all...at whatever price some idiot G.M wants to throw at him for basically a to this point half yr wonder...surround him with less talent and film on him and see how he progresses...seen this song and dance before...2x in B.C too

He has an NFL option window just like every other player. He would only be released if NFL interest came outside that window.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If true the Lions should be locking Rourke down now a week before the WSF, the fact that they haven't got it done yet makes me think he's still considering his options.

They cannot lock him down now.

He has an NFL option window just like every other player. He would only be released if NFL interest came outside that window.

They cannot lock him down now.

yeah...but if a team wants to sign him, do they not have to release...like we did with Kongbo...Sask with Shepley..etc...window jus allows chance to explore...but if u sign....the old contract is moot as u are basically cut

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

All Nationals will be required to sign a minimum 2 + 1 first contract and follow
“A” Grid – 1
“B” Grid – 3

base salary to
be negotiated -
not to exceed
10% more than
the 2nd year
base salary
Max. Sign or
Housing (Optional)
$7,500 $7,500
50% + 1 based on
offence and
defence snaps
(Optional)
$7,500 $7,500

base salary to
be negotiated -
not to exceed
10% more than
the 2nd year
base salary
Max. Sign or
Housing (Optional)
$5,000 $5,000
50% + 1 based on
offence and
defence snaps
(Optional)
$7,500 $7,500

So if he gets NFL interest...and is signed to an NFL roster...but later released and decides to come back, he would be BCs property correct? If so, would he be obligated to play under the 3rd year of his contract? Or could he sign a new deal? And what if he misses the entire 2023 CFL season?

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

“A” Grid – 1
“B” Grid – 3

base salary to
be negotiated -
not to exceed
10% more than
the 2nd year
base salary
Max. Sign or
Housing (Optional)
$7,500 $7,500
50% + 1 based on
offence and
defence snaps
(Optional)
$7,500 $7,500

base salary to
be negotiated -
not to exceed
10% more than
the 2nd year
base salary
Max. Sign or
Housing (Optional)
$5,000 $5,000
50% + 1 based on
offence and
defence snaps
(Optional)
$7,500 $7,500

Thanks for the info, I do believe that the team has the OPTION to sign him to a new contract as long as it represents an extension. Kind of what option year means. If they want to pick up the option on his 3rd year they are also free to do that as well. 

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

So if he gets NFL interest...and is signed to an NFL roster...but later released and decides to come back, he would be BCs property correct? If so, would he be obligated to play under the 3rd year of his contract? Or could he sign a new deal? And what if he misses the entire 2023 CFL season?

kongbo for us wasn't...Shepley in Sask wasnt either....as were many other draft picks who got interest after 1st...2nd yr...once they let u go...u are a free agent if u come back

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...but if a team wants to sign him, do they not have to release...like we did with Kongbo...Sask with Shepley..etc...window jus allows chance to explore...but if u sign....the old contract is moot as u are basically cut

Nope. Contract goes back to CFL club if you sign in the NFL window.

Just now, Booch said:

kongbo for us wasn't...Shepley in Sask wasnt either....as were many other draft picks who got interest after 1st...2nd yr...once they let u go...u are a free agent if u come back

Kongbo left at the expiry of his contracts. Shepley returned to the RIders after his first NFL try, as they held his rights, and then this time left at the expiration of his contract with the Riders. They are released as a formality.

Nope. Contract goes back to CFL club if you sign in the NFL window.

well Kongbo last yr coulda signed anywhere...and there were offers...same with Shepley last yr if he decided to come back...so who knows...isnt Desjarlais too a free agent who can sign anywhere..thats what media has been touting

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yes, he would be BC property if he was signed by the NFL prior to next season, released by the NFL while CFL season was still underway.

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

well Kongbo last yr coulda signed anywhere...and there were offers...same with Shepley last yr if he decided to come back...so who knows...isnt Desjarlais too a free agent who can sign anywhere..thats what media has been touting

All 3 left for the NFL as their current CFL contracts were expiring. If they left during their option year NFL window allows, the CFL team maintains their rights for the remainder of the CFL contract. They have 10 days after their release to either get picked up by another NFL team, be placed on a PR, or the contract comes back into effect and they effectively cannot sign elsewhere in the NFL and are expected to return to their CFL team.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yes, he would be BC property if he was signed by the NFL prior to next season, released by the NFL while CFL season was still underway.

Right, I know he would still be their property. But because he still has 1 year left on his contract, would he be required to play under it? Or sign a new one with BC?

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I hate to see it for any player, but I have a feeling about this as well....

I don't want to see it happen but I get the feeling it will. The media hype, the being back way before normal healing time. Just equals bad news. Maybe some of the folks on here talking bout nfl shots for Rourke need to wait and see if he makes it through 1 quarter first cuz you know what, I think they are rushing him back and I think if he gets hurt again, nfl won't touch him. Still don't think they do honestly. TC fodder If anything 

Edited by Goalie

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

All 3 left for the NFL as their current CFL contracts were expiring. If they left during their option year NFL window allows, the CFL team maintains their rights for the remainder of the CFL contract.

Kongbo's first NFL foray was after his rookie season...we released him...Desjarlais only played 2 seasons...no?

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Right, I know he would still be their property. But because he still has 1 year left on his contract, would he be required to play under it? Or sign a new one with BC?

He would be required to report under his current contract. I would think at that point the Lions would seriously consider extension but don't have to until the offseason.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

Kongbo's first NFL foray was after his rookie season...we released him...Desjarlais only played 2 seasons...no?

And we retained his rights after his first NFL foray, he was not a FA on his return to us, his only CFL option that year was us. Desjarlais signed his rookie contract before the 2+1 provision existed. His rookie deal was a 2 year deal.

Edited by GCn20

who knows who care...from what I heard he had other offers...also shepley only played in 2019 with sask...and hasnt touched a cfl field since...but last yr, and this yr if he wanted to come back he was free game....so who knows how it works....either way...if Rourke comes back next year it wont be for 65k....he'd be an idiot to do so

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

who knows who care...from what I heard he had other offers...also shepley only played in 2019 with sask...and hasnt touched a cfl field since...but last yr, and this yr if he wanted to come back he was free game....so who knows how it works....either way...if Rourke comes back next year it wont be for 65k....he'd be an idiot to do so

Shepley opted out of his option year of 2020 when the season was cancelled. Had 2020 season happened he was obligated to return to the RIders if he wanted to continue in the CFL. All players with their option year landing in 2020 were given that right when the season was cancelled. His rookie contract would have expired at the end of 2020, so you are correct that last year or this year he was a gun for hire if he returned. The option year did not carry over beyond 2020 for those that left for the NFL in their option at the end of 2019.

CFL teams retaining rights on those leaving in the option year of their contract is in black and white in the CBA. The CFL had closed the option year window for a number of years and you could only go to the NFL when released, or at the expiry of your contract but a few years ago they put the option window back in under the old terms of teams retaining your rights until the end of your option. They felt this would help recruitment when other pro leagues began to emerge and compete for our prospective players.

Edited by GCn20