Jump to content

Blue Bombers Podcast


Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I’ve noticed that there’s a vacuum in the podcast world—we don’t have a Blue Bombers podcast! Blue Bomber Talk is no longer as the Hodges have moved on. I’m interested in being part of a podcast. I’ve never done it but would love to get into it.  Is anyone else interested? I have also posted this on the other forum. 
Here are some ideas but I think there could be way more  

1. have an X’s and O’s Section where a local fan or coach with football knowledge would break down the latest bomber game and look ahead to the next one

2. interview local heroes like Carol Barrott or super fans like Reaper, Bomber Woman, Golden Boy etc 

3. Talk about best and worst Bombers memories 

4. Potentially get players or coaches on

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Noeller said:

the Bombers own "Handled Internally" podcast is pretty well done. The Doug Brown one is probably my favourite so far...some really great stories. 

Brown is an under appreciated gem in the CFL. Honestly, he should be on the TSN panel. He'd be the best guy hands down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brown has improved by leaps and bounds since he started. Once he got past the penchant for using multi syllable words (often mangled and sometimes not a real word) to prove how smart he was, he got a ton better. Great balance with Bob Irving, and he offers excellent insight that is relatable to the newbie fan but does not talk down to the more experienced fan. 
 

As for Irving, I want to tread lightly here since he is still the best in the business, but has anyone noticed a drop-off in his calls?  It is nit-picking since he has set such a high bar that any error will be magnified in his instance, but I have noticed that he mis-identifies players more than in the past. Could simply be just an eyesight thing, but that is still a vital tool for a play-by-play guy and is an issue to address. I hope that if a succession plan is in place, now that Bob is on the other side of 70, that it is handled like the Blue Jay radio broadcasts were, where they brought in a new PBP guy to work beside Jerry Howarth and do a couple of middle innings at first, then expand to more and more work over time. Bob deserves to go out on his own time, but I would prefer to see a transition over time rather than just cutting him out and bringing in a new voice cold (even if it is someone already in house like Kelly Moore or Geoff Currier). 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Brown has improved by leaps and bounds since he started. Once he got past the penchant for using multi syllable words (often mangled and sometimes not a real word) to prove how smart he was, he got a ton better. Great balance with with and Bob Irving, and he offers excellent insight that is relatable to the newbie fan but does not talk down to the more experienced fan. 
 

As for Irving, I want to tread lightly here since he is still the best in the business, but has anyone noticed a drop-off in his calls?  It is nit-picking since he has set such a high bar that any error will be magnified in his instance, but I have noticed that he mis-identifies players more than in the past. Could simply be just an eyesight thing, but that is still a vital tool for a play-by-play guy and is an issue to address. I hope that if a succession plan is in place now that Bob is on the other side of 70 that it is handled like the Blue Jay radio broadcasts were, where they brought in a new PBP guy to work beside Jerry Howarth and do a couple of middle innings at first, then expand to more and more work over time. Bob deserves to go out on his own time, but I would prefer to see a transition over time rather than just cutting him out and bringing in a new voice cold (even if it is someone already in house like Kelly Moore or Geoff Currier). 

I was just gonna say the same thing about Brown. He hasn't been annoying to listen to this year. And I'm fairly certain that this is Bobs last year. Would love to see Bauming get a shot at the play by play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I was just gonna say the same thing about Brown. He hasn't been annoying to listen to this year. And I'm fairly certain that this is Bobs last year. Would love to see Bauming get a shot at the play by play.

Oh, please, no to Bauming. Nice guy, good insight but so, so painful to listen to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

Oh, please, no to Bauming. Nice guy, good insight but so, so painful to listen to. 

Pain is relative. Tsn makes him feel down right pleasant. And when it comes to outside news for the bombers its take what you can get. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I'll just say a couple of things about what's been discussed: 

1) Brown has never been anywhere close to awful. He was raw to start, and still uses too many big words, when a smaller one will do, but he is absolutely fabulous at what he does and gets better all the time. He has a bit of a crutch, and says "...right?" to finish off many of his statements. Likely doesn't even realize he's doing it. One of the only things I'd work with him on...otherwise he's extremely good when just being himself. 

2) There is nothing finer on radio than Our Man Tait, DB97 and Bob Irving "BS-ing" about football in the CJOB pre-game. The enjoyment I get out of their conversations is incredible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So I'll just say a couple of things about what's been discussed: 

1) Brown has never been anywhere close to awful. He was raw to start, and still uses too many big words, when a smaller one will do, but he is absolutely fabulous at what he does and gets better all the time. He has a bit of a crutch, and says "...right?" to finish off many of his statements. Likely doesn't even realize he's doing it. One of the only things I'd work with him on...otherwise he's extremely good when just being himself. 

2) There is nothing finer on radio than Our Man Tait, DB97 and Bob Irving "BS-ing" about football in the CJOB pre-game. The enjoyment I get out of their conversations is incredible. 

100%. Browns writing comes off better because he polishes that stuff out a bit more. If he got with a voice / writing coach for a year he'd be the best thing going in canadian football media. I always enjoy what he writes and adds to OB, and its some thing we dont see from any one else. The players on the TSN panel all seem soo old and out of the loop. I love milt, and I enjoy what matty can bring. But man they all sound like they played with leather helmets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally agree about Brown. I also enjoy the pre-game on CJOB immensely, as well as Bauming's stuff as Walby is a legend and I appreciate that Bauming is bringing more attention to the Bombers. 

I do really miss a weekly fan podcast though. We need more voices talking about the Bombers. Especially now that they are the class of the CFL! Wbbfan you can cohost and do some analysis! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brown used to bother me a lot, but hasn't as much this year. One annoying pet peeve of mine is that he continually responds to questions or comments with the same damn laugh. Maybe only annoying for me, but I shake my head every time I hear it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bombers9256 said:

What makes you say that? Just curious. 

There is something about Darren's delivery. I am not a fan. Also, it always feels as though he's trying to sell me something. I like him and think he provides good insight but I do not care for his delivery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

and says "...right?

O shea does that a lot.  

Brown is excellent, always has been. the criticisms ive seen here, " big words" is pathetic, the other one "arrogant"..... I dont sense that .... I would call Doug confident. 

Doug brings some humour that Bob is devoid of. of course he knows what je is talking about, and communicates it well, which is his main job.

 

 

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

2) There is nothing finer on radio than Our Man Tait, DB97 and Bob Irving "BS-ing" about football

we agree here. Tait is top notch.

Edited by Mark F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I really like about the Bob, Ed, Doug trio is that they're not trying to be provocative. One of the most off-putting things for me is when a broadcaster tries to sell everything or sounds like they're trying to get a reaction. I would accept that more from Doug because he adds perspective and colour. 

However, they don't do that. They don't need that to be engaging. 

Rod P does that. Everything for him is about reactions and it's horrible. He is the ef'n worst. Barf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

What I really like about the Bob, Ed, Doug trio is that they're not trying to be provocative. One of the most off-putting things for me is when a broadcaster tries to sell everything or sounds like they're trying to get a reaction. I would accept that more from Doug because he adds perspective and colour. 

However, they don't do that. They don't need that to be engaging. 

Rod P does that. Everything for him is about reactions and it's horrible. He is the ef'n worst. Barf. 

Irving dictates the tone.....and he's a consummate professional. I can say with absolute certainty that, from a professional perspective, Bob Irving is far and away the best in the league at his job. Nobody is close. 

The CJOB pre-game maintains a tone of "guys sitting around over beers (rums for Knucks) BSing about football" which is why it's so popular. It's a very professional broadcast thanks to Bob, and has a lot of energy thanks in large part to Doug. I just can't say enough good things about the trio of Bob, Doug and Ed. 

The stuff about Doug using unnecessarily big words is 100% fact, but I do feel he's getting better with time. I worked with another guy who did this a lot. I always felt it was an over-compensation with the guy I worked with....for Doug? Who knows. I'm not privy enough to inside info to really know.......but it's a small gripe that's getting less and less so with time. 

At the end of the day, the CJOB broadcast (with the exception of the post-game phone calls) is terrific......during football season, it's the absolute highlight of my week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JCon said:

There is something about Darren's delivery. I am not a fan. Also, it always feels as though he's trying to sell me something. I like him and think he provides good insight but I do not care for his delivery. 

Gotcha. The Blue certainly ostracized him for Grey Cup based on him not voting 33 for team and league awards. That’s why Rick Ralph was the sideline reporter for the radio broadcast.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Bombers9256 said:

Gotcha. The Blue certainly ostracized him for Grey Cup based on him not voting 33 for team and league awards. That’s why Rick Ralph was the sideline reporter for the radio broadcast.  

Do you know that for 100% fact? ....Because that's one hell of an accusation.....

Edited by Noeller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Do you know that for 100% fact? ....Because that's one hell of an accusation.....

I base it solely on listening to the post-game CFL radio Grey Cup podcast. It's available through the apple podcast app, if you search BC Lions. It's a fantastic podcast by itself, but there's a brief bit where the host, i think it's Dave Jameison, subtly criticizes the WBB for being petty re Darrin Bauming. Have a listen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bombers9256 said:

I base it solely on listening to the post-game CFL radio Grey Cup podcast. It's available through the apple podcast app, if you search BC Lions. It's a fantastic podcast by itself, but there's a brief bit where the host, i think it's Dave Jameison, subtly criticizes the WBB for being petty re Darrin Bauming. Have a listen. 

quite the accusation from them anyhow......and I know there was a lot of mis-information going around the week of the GC, saying that CJOB/Irving were upset about not having broadcast rights to the game (which Irving cleared up later, stating it was patently false that he was upset...he understands broadcast rights agreements as well as anyone) so I'm wondering if that rumour-mongering carried its way to "the Bombers hate Bauming". I have no doubts that there were some hurt feelings over how Bauming (and Jeff Hamilton!) chose to vote in the team-specific awards, but I'd have a hard time believing that they'd be so petty as to ban Bauming from the sideline. The truth, I suppose, will be lost to the ether.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TSN would own the rights to the game both on TV and radio, as it has been for a long time. Local broadcasters do not get to broadcast that game. And they would have no say on their personnel being included or excluded on a broadcast crew. So unless something drastic changed in the standard operating procedure in 2019, Bauming’s lack of access to the sidelines would have had zero to do with a Bomber boycott and would simply be TSN employing their own crew. Besides, If CJOB had any pull to insert a member of their crew, Bob Irving certainly would have been plugged in as play-by-play voice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

TSN would own the rights to the game both on TV and radio, as it has been for a long time. Local broadcasters do not get to broadcast that game. And they would have no say on their personnel being included or excluded on a broadcast crew. So unless something drastic changed in the standard operating procedure in 2019, Bauming’s lack of access to the sidelines would have had zero to do with a Bomber boycott and would simply be TSN employing their own crew. Besides, If CJOB had any pull to insert a member of their crew, Bob Irving certainly would have been plugged in as play-by-play voice. 

fair but Bauming, at least back then, was a TSN employee. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

What I really like about the Bob, Ed, Doug trio is that they're not trying to be provocative. One of the most off-putting things for me is when a broadcaster tries to sell everything or sounds like they're trying to get a reaction. I would accept that more from Doug because he adds perspective and colour. 

However, they don't do that. They don't need that to be engaging. 

Rod P does that. Everything for him is about reactions and it's horrible. He is the ef'n worst. Barf. 

I never realized it until you said it, but definitely this. I think it comes down to them believing that the game is entertaining as is, without the need to be provocative and add intrigue. Even the segments they have pregame, its rarely about identifying one big thing about the game and amplifying it. Merely setting the stage for fans who enjoy football as is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...