The RIP 2020 Thread

iHeart

I'm not a huge rock guy by any means, and VH heyday was a bit before my time, but man, they had some songs. "Jump" will always equate to the Winnipeg Jets in my mind, and Panama....that scene in Superbad where Hader and Rogen (as the cops) are drunk and smashing up the cop car.....just one and the same, to me. A legendary group, no question.

I've been mentally preparing myself for the loss of Willie and Dolly for some time now. Willie's been in poor health, off and on, for awhile. Gave up the weed 'cause his lungs were taking a beating. Not sure how much longer he's got. Dolly seems ageless, but time makes fools of us all...

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I've been mentally preparing myself for the loss of Willie and Dolly for some time now. Willie's been in poor health, off and on, for awhile. Gave up the weed 'cause his lungs were taking a beating. Not sure how much longer he's got. Dolly seems ageless, but time makes fools of us all...

Yeah, even Farm Aid this year was pretty quiet. 

I do appreciate that Dolly is getting out a bunch of new material and still being visible. I have Dolly Parton, Songteller: My Life in Lyrics on pre-odder on Audible. I can't wait to hear it. 

Edited by JCon

13 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yeah, even Farm Aid this year was pretty quiet. 

I do appreciate that Dolly is getting out a bunch of new material and still being visible I have Dolly Parton, Songteller: My Life in Lyrics on pre-odder on Audible. I can't wait to hear it. 

Her "When Life Is Good Again" is the best pandemic-themed piece of art I've heard/seen this year......absolutely fantastic.

21 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Really good Dolly doc that played on A&E  is on Netflix. If I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s I would of had a huge crush on Dolly lol. 

every one of those guys on the circuit back in the day tried to get with her, but no luck. Two stories:

1) Really good songwriter pal of mine has a best friend that was a "house writer" (worked for a big publishing company in Nash) for some years. The "common knowledge" that nobody spoke about was that Dolly is actually gay, and her marriage has always been a "sham", if you will, to keep up appearances in uber-Christian Nashville. 

2) Merle Haggard autobiography from back around 1980..... tells an amazing story about being out on the road, staying at some random hotel. Bang bang bang on the door at like 2am....opens it....it's George Jones. Just hammered. So the two of them sit around, drinking in the middle of the night in some shithole hotel room.....and they decide it's a good idea to phone up Dolly and try to get a date. It didn't work out. Ha ha ha. Still love that story...can only imagine. 

I stand by the fact that she's the most talented artist in the history of Country music...writer, singer, instrumentalist....a ridiculous talent that we might never see again.