World Politics

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Peru’s new government declares 30-day national emergency amid violent protests following the ouster of President Castillo, suspending the rights of people to gather and move freely across the nation. https://nbcnews.to/3PtJUx9

There are credible reports that the US through the CIA conspired once again to overthrow a democratically elected government that displeased wealthy oligarchs. 

On 2022-12-13 at 2:11 PM, Bigblue204 said:

This is easy to say for people who aren't related to her. If it was my wife/daughter/mother etc etc I'd be pressing everyone to get them home by any means necessary. People may not like the trade, but at the end of the day it was the right thing to do.

For me its more that the US administration traded to get the life of one, somewhat famous American at the likely expense of many unknown Ukrainian lives & livelihoods. I don't have evidence to back it up, but I would Bout will be able to help (re)arming Russia in the face of sanctions. If that's correct, I'd say it wasn't the right thing to do.

Also setting expectations that Russia can detain without significant reasons and use them as a pawn to get something they want. Maybe I'm missing something. I hope I am.

Edited by WildPath

23 hours ago, WildPath said:

For me its more that the US administration traded to get the life of one, somewhat famous American at the likely expense of many unknown Ukrainian lives & livelihoods. I don't have evidence to back it up, but I would Bout will be able to help (re)arming Russia in the face of sanctions. If that's correct, I'd say it wasn't the right thing to do.

Also setting expectations that Russia can detain without significant reasons and use them as a pawn to get something they want. Maybe I'm missing something. I hope I am.

Bout will be of little help. The Russian armaments are hopelessly outdated for the most part, but the biggest problem the Russians face is that their troops are often unpaid, dispirited, starved, desperately cold, led by cowards/fools and with little or no medical support. Since the $50 per barrel embargo was imposed on Russia, and they no longer have access to their $350 billion foreign reserves, they cannot pay for much. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-invasion-day-296-1.6688169

Russia fired more than 70 missiles at Ukraine on Friday in one of its biggest attacks since the start of the war, knocking out power in the second biggest city and forcing Kyiv to bring in emergency blackouts nationwide, Ukrainian officials said.

Two people were killed when an apartment block was hit in central Kryvyi Rih and another died in shelling in Kherson in the south, they said. Russian-installed officials in occupied eastern Ukraine said 12 people had died in Ukrainian shelling.

Russia flew warplanes near Ukraine to try to distract its air defences, Ukraine's air force said. Its army chief said 60 of 76 Russian missiles had been shot down but nine Ukrainian power facilities were damaged, Energy Minister German Galushchenko said.

Russia has rained missiles on Ukrainian energy infrastructure almost weekly since early October after a series of battlefield defeats. Moscow says it is part of its plan to disable Ukraine's military; Kyiv says it is a war crime.

Heinous ****.

And now threating "consequences" to US/NATO if they provide Ukraine with Patriot air defense missiles so the citizens can have heat/water.

Russia warns of 'consequences' if U.S. sends Patriot air defence missiles to Ukraine | CBC News

Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova said in a weekly briefing that the U.S. had "effectively become a party" to the war in Ukraine, following reports that it will provide Kyiv with Patriot surface-to-air missiles, the most advanced the West has yet offered to help repel Russian aerial attacks.

Putin is creating a humanitarian catastrophe and trying to deny other nations the opportunity to help resist it. Heartless bastard. Hopefully he gets what is coming to him soon.

In Israel, Netanyahu's extremist new government rips off the mask

Benjamin Netanyahu's proposed coalition government of Jewish extremists, fanatic Zionists and religious bigots represents a seismic change in Israel, one that will exacerbate Israel's pariah status, erode external support for Israel, fuel a third Palestinian uprising, or intifada, and create irreconcilable political divides within the Jewish state.  

Alon Pinkas, writing in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz, calls the coalition government, scheduled to take power within the next week or so, "a kakistocracy extraordinaire: government by the worst and least suitable collection of ultra-nationalists, Jewish supremacists, anti-democrats, racists, bigots, homophobes, misogynists, corrupt and allegedly corrupt politicians. A ruling coalition of 64 lawmakers, of whom 32 are either ultra-Orthodox or religious Zionist. Certainly not a coalition Zeev Jabotinsky, the father of Revisionist Zionism, or Menachem Begin, the founder of Likud, could have ever imagined." 
Itamar Ben-Gvir, from the ultra-nationalist Otzma Yehudit or "Jewish Power," party, will be the new minister for internal security. Otzma Yehudit is populated with former members of Rabbi Meir Kahane's Kach party, which was banned from running for the Knesset in 1988 for espousing a "Nazi-like ideology" that included advocating the ethnic cleansing of all Palestinian citizens of Israel as well as all Palestinians living under Israeli military occupation. Ben-Gvir's appointment, along with that of other far-right ideologues, including Bezalel Smotrich, to be in charge of the Occupied Palestinian Territories, effectively jettisons the old tropes liberal Zionists used to defend Israel: It is the only democracy in the Middle East, it seeks a peaceful settlement with the Palestinians in a two-state solution, and while extremism and racism have no place in Israeli society, Israel must impose draconian forms of control on the Palestinians to prevent terrorism. 

https://www.salon.com/2022/12/17/in-israel-netanyahus-extremist-new-government-rips-off-the-mask/

‘We’re Just Meat’: Russian Military Keeps Killing Its Own Troops

Russian troops have also been caught venting openly to relatives about the dangers they face from their own men in Ukraine.

In audio released by Ukrainian intelligence on Tuesday and said to capture a Russian soldier's phone conversation, a man identified only as Aleksei tells his mother the military just sent reinforcements. He explains that the reinforcements came because “20 people are gone.”

“Our tank hit hard: It fired twice and 20 guys, ****. I’m telling you, what the **** kind of command is this, scumbags. They’re ******* killing their own,” Aleksei, who described himself as a commander, said.

“I’m telling you, there are more losses from our own [guys],” than the Ukrainians, he said.

Another purported soldier, heard complaining to a friend back home in audio released Monday, said it was clear the military leadership gives “zero fucks” if their soldiers come back alive.

“It’s not a war, it’s a **** show. It’s complete bullshit,” he said. “That’s it, the entire response from leadership: There are 300,000 of you, basically, we don’t give a ****.”

“Don’t you dare come here, and know that it’s complete ****,” he told his friend. “Only on [state-run] Channel One are there ******* tanks, here there’s ******* nothing, brother. Here there’s nothing, you have no food, you drink from puddles.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-military-keeps-killing-its-own-troops-in-ukraine-war-report-says?ref=home

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/zelenskyy-visit-washington-1.6693367

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy was making his way to Washington on Wednesday for a summit with U.S. President Joe Biden and to address Congress in his first known trip outside the country since Russia's invasion began in February.

Zelenskyy said on his Twitter account that the visit was "to strengthen resilience and defence capabilities" of Ukraine and discuss co-operation between his country and the U.S with Biden.

The highly sensitive trip is taking place after 10 months of a brutal war that has seen tens of thousands killed and wounded on both sides of the conflict, along with devastation for Ukrainian civilians. It also comes as U.S. lawmakers are set to vote on a year-end spending package that includes about $45 billion US in emergency assistance to Ukraine and as the Pentagon prepares to send Patriot surface-to-air missiles to the country to defend itself.

"The visit will underscore the United States' steadfast commitment to supporting Ukraine for as long as it takes, including through the provision of economic, humanitarian, and military assistance," the White House said Tuesday.

Zelenskyy was scheduled to meet with Biden at the White House in the afternoon and then join Biden for a news conference in the East Room. He was expected to address Congress in the evening.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/zelenskyy-ukraine-visit-washington-1.6693367

Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelenskyy told cheering U.S. legislators during a defiant wartime visit to the nation's capital on Wednesday that "against all odds" Ukraine still stands, thanking Americans for helping to fund the war effort with money that is "not charity," but an "investment" in global security and democracy.

The whirlwind stop in Washington — his first known trip outside his country since Russia invaded Ukraine in February — was aimed at reinvigorating support for his country in the U.S. and around the world at a time when there is concern that allies are growing weary of the costly war and its disruption to global food and energy supplies.

Delivering an impassioned televised address to Congress aimed at sustaining support for his country's defence, Zelenskyy called the tens of billions of dollars in U.S. military and economic assistance over the past year vital to Ukraine's efforts to beat back Russia, and he appealed for even more in the future.

"Your money is not charity," he sought to reassure both those in the room and those watching at home. "It's an investment in the global security and democracy that we handled in the most responsible way."

In his remarks to lawmakers, Zelenskyy harkened back to U.S. victories in the Battle of the Bulge, a turning point against Nazi Germany in the Second World War, and the Revolutionary War Battle of Saratoga, an American victory that helped draw France's aid for U.S. independence. The Ukrainian leader predicted that next year would be a "turning point" in the conflict, "when Ukrainian courage and American resolve must guarantee the future of our common freedom — the freedom of people who stand for their values."

Zelenskyy received thunderous applause from members of Congress and presented lawmakers with a Ukrainian flag autographed by front-line troops in Bakhmut, in Ukraine's contested Donetsk province. The flag was held up behind him on the rostrum by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and U.S. Vice-President Kamala Harris. Pelosi then presented him with an American flag that had flown over the Capitol for the day, and Zelenskyy pumped it up and down as he exited the chamber.

Declaring that Ukraine "will never surrender," Zelenskyy warned that the stakes of the conflict were greater than just the fate of his nation — that democracy worldwide is being tested.

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

While MGT slobbers and knuckle drags across the floor frothing away yelling in her hardly understandable language drivel America first.

Lauren Boebert and Matt Gaetz, who both represent the worst of the GOP, refused to stand in applause when Zelensky entered the House and played video games on their phones all the while he spoke, never looking up.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Lauren Boebert and Matt Gaetz, who both represent the worst of the GOP, refused to stand in applause when Zelensky entered the House and played video games on their phones all the while he spoke, never looking up.

I also read that these two knobs in going there waved off security that everyone is required to go thru regardless of who you are. Boebert has said she packs all the time so there’s potentially an unauthorized weapon in chambers while the leaders of the Ukraine and the United States of America are in attendance. 

I’m embarrassed as a human being to be lumped into the same species as these two and their ilk. 

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Added un to authorized.

On 2022-12-14 at 1:47 PM, Tracker said:

There are credible reports that the US through the CIA conspired once again to overthrow a democratically elected government that displeased wealthy oligarchs. 

I have friends in Peru, the Americans have done this consistently over the past 100 years, I pay no heed to their criticism of Russia or any hypocrisy they spew when they habitually interfere in other countries affairs by promoting robbery, rape, torture and murder.  The poorer the country happens to be, the better because they can't put up much of a fight.  They are a nation ruled by serial abusers governing an impressive swath of imbeciles.  

Edited by Fatty Liver

8 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I have friends in Peru, the Americans have done this consistently over the past 100 years, I pay no heed to their criticism of Russia or any hypocrisy they spew when they habitually interfere in other countries affairs by promoting robbery, rape, torture and murder.  The poorer the country happens to be, the better because they can't put up much of a fight.  They are a nation ruled by serial abusers governing an impressive swath of imbeciles.  I also have educated friends in the US and they mostly agree with these sentiments.

Highly, highly recommend the book "The New Confessions of an Economic Hitman" or the older version. Spells out exactly how this happens and how the CIA is a tool of corporations. This is often done through monetary loans that pass over state power to corporate power. This doesn't just happen in Central/South America, but that is where it is most well known. For anyone who may not be aware, this book (or others like it) could change the way international relations and corporate power are viewed.

Charles Completely Boots Andrew From Palace, Report Says
-Getty News
King Charles is pushing Prince Andrew out of Buckingham Palace—and won’t even let him use it for mailing letters. That’s according to The Sun, which says the disgraced royal can no longer keep an office at the palace, and the small number of staffers he has there might be let go. “The King has made it clear. He isn’t a working royal. He’s on his own,” a source told the newspaper. “Any presence at the Palace is officially over.” Andrew, whose friendship with sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein plunged the royal family into scandal, does keep his home in the grounds of Windsor Castle—for now.

Edited by Tracker

Just now, Tracker said:

Charles Completely Boots Andrew From Palace, Report Says
Getty
King Charles is pushing Prince Andrew out of Buckingham Palace—and won’t even let him use it for mailing letters. That’s according to The Sun, which says the disgraced royal can no longer keep an office at the palace, and the small number of staffers he has there might be let go. “The King has made it clear. He isn’t a working royal. He’s on his own,” a source told the newspaper. “Any presence at the Palace is officially over.” Andrew, whose friendship with sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein plunged the royal family into scandal, does keep his home in the grounds of Windsor Castle—for now.

What is a Getty King? 

On 2022-12-22 at 12:28 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

I also read that these two knobs in going there waved off security that everyone is required to go thru regardless of who you are. Boebert has said she packs all the time so there’s potentially an unauthorized weapon in chambers while the leaders of the Ukraine and the United States of America are in attendance. 

I’m embarrassed as a human being to be lumped into the same species as these two and their ilk. 

Thankfully, there are fewer of these Trump asshats in Congress than before.