Around The NHL 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

He'll only play for Minnesota....I fully believe that. It's them or nothing. 

If true, then the "I like fishing and want more time with my young family' reason wouldn't completely make sense to me.

Because whether its playing here or with the Wild, his hockey commitment would remain the same, taking away time from his fishing/family.

Again, none of my business and we are just chatting here but if he signs with another team in the near future you'd think it's more than just wanting to be closer to home and fishing location preference.  

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

If true, then the "I like fishing and want more time with my young family' reason wouldn't completely make sense to me.

Because whether its playing here or with the Wild, his hockey commitment would remain the same, taking away time from his fishing/family.

Again, none of my business and we are just chatting here but if he signs with another team in the near future you'd think it's more than just wanting to be closer to home and fishing location preference.  

I think its more that he didnt feel like playing but didnt want to put in his papers.  Jets didnt want it hanging over them.  Chevy said he offered a trade a few times and Buff said no.  Buff could have submitted retirement papers and its all over.  I think he probably feels like he's not ready to say with certainty that he's retired.

Once the agent got involved, suddenly there was an ankle injury.  I suspect the agent simply said you can do what you want but this is a lot of money and if you have a lingering injury, lets get it taken care.  The agent told Chevy Buff wanted to play after surgery.  But Buff then quit rehab so I doubt he ever felt like he wanted to play but the agent and the PA probably pressured him to do it a certain way so they could try and get some settlement.  In the end, it was the same all along.  Buff just didnt feel like playing, didnt care about the money but wasnt willing to officially retire.  

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I've seem some people in MIN wanting him and i'm thinking they already are one of the oldest teams in the league and they want a 35yr old who has not skated hard for a year?

Only teams that should be putting an offer forward are ones where there are no lakes for 300 miles.

Likely closer to two years by the time hockey resumes. And closer to, if not 36 years old.

Wild fans are nauseating. They think every Minnesota born NHLer wants to play there... It's like a Leafs homer and a Rider Prider had offspring and they wound up in the self-proclaimed "State of Hockey."

I'd put money down on Byfuglien being done with hockey for good. I think he just wants to enjoy his life, his family, and his sweet fishing boat.

I knew we were going to get screwed over

Do you know what I really want to believe right now? that when the season starts for us again, BellMTS will be packed, tickets will be hard to get again and the team will come back so strong that we'll win the cup next year

but then again Simpsons logic doesn't exactly work in real life, wait what am I saying look at all the stuff they predicted

17 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im a bit surprised Winnipeg wouldnt be among the cities.  If the plan is one city per division, where better than Winnipeg?  But I suppose they want US sites...?

not sure about that because apparently Edmonton is the leading choice for Pacific Division. Bettman and Jason Kenney apparently had a chat about it recently...

We could have no infections here and they still wouldn't  play games in Winnipeg, not enough higher end hotels downtown for all the teams  and support staff and the Iceplex is considered to far away, plus the ice at the arena isn't very good in the winter, imagine 3 games a day during the summer

On 2020-04-17 at 11:45 AM, Noeller said:

I know I've posted this before, but I'm bored and staring out the window of my office...... if I could have any life in the world....like, if I won Lotto Max and could do anything.....I would live the life Buff has right now. Like, no question. Brand new house at Oak Bluff, cottage on LOTW, nicest fishing boat money can buy......done. It's all I want in life. 

Add Bomber and Jets season tickets to that list and I'm right behind you.

On 2020-04-23 at 4:57 PM, bustamente said:

We could have no infections here and they still wouldn't  play games in Winnipeg, not enough higher end hotels downtown for all the teams  and support staff and the Iceplex is considered to far away, plus the ice at the arena isn't very good in the winter, imagine 3 games a day during the summer

Compared to Edmonton??

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Compared to Edmonton??

I thought okay EDM i can understand they still got Northlands but upon Googling they are blowing that place up so there goes that thought. You would think it would be a city with 2 existing arenas that even empty look good on TV.

Too bad about Northlands.

I don't know about the higher end hotel part. Nobody comes here even when there is no epidemic so you'd think The Alt, Radison and Fairmont would be enough.

Why can't the EDM ice be copied? It's been great for 40 years!

Anyways, I'm still on record as saying the season is over.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I thought okay EDM i can understand they still got Northlands but upon Googling they are blowing that place up so there goes that thought. You would think it would be a city with 2 existing arenas that even empty look good on TV.

Too bad about Northlands.

I don't know about the higher end hotel part. Nobody comes here even when there is no epidemic so you'd think The Alt, Radison and Fairmont would be enough.

Why can't the EDM ice be copied? It's been great for 40 years!

Anyways, I'm still on record as saying the season is over.

Training Camp opening June 1, I keep reading. Announcements coming shortly. NBA starting a quick TC as early as next weekend... 

On 2020-04-23 at 4:57 PM, bustamente said:

The NHL had certain requirements for the neutral site games.
1) Arenas need a minimum of 4 NHL caliber dressing rooms because they wanted to have up to 3 games a day being played. Edmonton has 6 dressing rooms at Rogers Place. Not sure if the Jets have more than 3.
2) Suitable practice facilities for multiple NHL teams. With the IcePlex, Wayne Fleming and some major junior rinks, don’t think this was an issue in Winnipeg, but Edmonton’s practice rink is connected to the main arena. 
3) NHLPA requirements specify a 4 or 5 star hotel for the players per the collective agreement. Not sure how Winnipeg stacks up there, but likely less than almost if not all other NHL cities. Again Edmonton has a 5 star connected to the arena by walkway. 
4) city can’t be a COVID hotspot. No problem for Winnipeg or Edmonton (most of the Alberta cases are on Calgary)

5) preferably don’t share the arena with an NBA team

As for the ice in Winnipeg, the NHL player’s poll this year said the Bell MTS Centre ice was top 3 in the league, behind only Edmonton and Vegas. Jets have been top 3 for a few years in ice quality (Montreal is also perennially high on the list), so poor ice is a non-issue on Winnipeg. 

I hadn't considered the "multiple games per day" thing....that makes sense. Really interesting. Also, because it's what I do, I'm curious about how TV broadcasts of the games would work. Every team has their own regional broadcaster..... would they all travel to the neutral site and be sequestered as well? Lotta questions yet, for sure...

12 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

As for the ice in Winnipeg, the NHL player’s poll this year said the Bell MTS Centre ice was top 3 in the league, behind only Edmonton and Vegas. Jets have been top 3 for a few years in ice quality (Montreal is also perennially high on the list), so poor ice is a non-issue on Winnipeg. 

Surprised about that. Thought the ice not great here.

NHL extends quarantine till mid May, will the borders even be open by the end of May so what the NHL decides in the middle of May might not matter. Even so some players are voicing concerns about being isolated from their families for months. On another note French soccer leagues Ligue 1 and 2 have cancelled their seasons

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

NHL extends quarantine till mid May, will the borders even be open by the end of May so what the NHL decides in the middle of May might not matter. Even so some players are voicing concerns about being isolated from their families for months. On another note French soccer leagues Ligue 1 and 2 have cancelled their seasons

I'd be concerned about all those Swedish players.