Free Agency

Floyd

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

One would hope you could sign Chiarot for 2.5 - 3.     And if that is what he signs for, Beaulieu should be half that.    Then again in a world where Myers may get  $8M and Hayes gets $7M, I have no clue what salaries are or should be anymore.

Next thing we know Petan is signing with Pittsburgh for $4.5 million x 5 and the world just explodes.

18 minutes ago, Rich said:

One would hope you could sign Chiarot for 2.5 - 3.     And if that is what he signs for, Beaulieu should be half that.    Then again in a world where Myers may get  $8M and Hayes gets $7M, I have no clue what salaries are or should be anymore.

This is the new abnormal.

I feel like there will be a lot of Tier 3 defenders (if Myers is considered Tier 2) who won't sign for a few weeks. Teams will fill out their roster after knowing where their RFAs will be first. We could be into August before we've have everyone in place from the UFA market. 

Open question for all: If Laine and Connor are given offer sheets, what is the over/under on the price that would be too high for the Jets to match (don't say no price as an answer) if a 7 year contract was offered on each? And what would the combined over/under price be that is too steep if both got offer sheeted?

Suppose Connor is offered 7 x $6 million and Laine is offered 7 x $10 million. the $16 million cap hit seems high for both given the other pieces we need, but hard to think they wouldn't lock in each guy individually at their respective price, but maybe not both.

As a reminder: compensation is:

None for below $1.4 million AAV signing

3rd round pick for  $1.4-2.11 million AAV

2nd round pick for $2.11-4.23 million AAV

1st and 3rd round pick for $4.23-6.34 million AAV

1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick for $6.34-8.45 million AAV

Two 1sts, 2nd, 3rd round pick for $8.45-10.57 million AAV

Four 1sts for over $10.57 million AAV

Teams calling about Connor...

Remember when everyone thought Connor would sign for around $5 million and wasn't worth more than that...

Be prepared for Chevy to pay $8-9 million for 7 years

Laine will be $10 million a year if its long-term...  maybe you get him at $7-8 million per year for two years...

If Connor gets a 7 x 6 million offer sheet, Chevy will match it immediately.... that is way under market value.  Remember if a player is signing an offer sheet it's because it is a significantly better deal than what their team is already offering them. So take what you think is fair and tack a million and a year on top of that. An offer sheet for Connor probably comes in at 8 million for 7 years and for Laine it would be 10 million for 7 years. And you match both. If Laine is offer sheeted at a value that gives you four first round picks, you let him go. Otherwise you keep him.

Connor you match any offer that comes in because no one is crazy enough to offer him over 10.5 and give up four first round picks.

49 minutes ago, Atomic said:

If Connor gets a 7 x 6 million offer sheet, Chevy will match it immediately.... that is way under market value.  Remember if a player is signing an offer sheet it's because it is a significantly better deal than what their team is already offering them. So take what you think is fair and tack a million and a year on top of that. An offer sheet for Connor probably comes in at 8 million for 7 years and for Laine it would be 10 million for 7 years. And you match both. If Laine is offer sheeted at a value that gives you four first round picks, you let him go. Otherwise you keep him.

Connor you match any offer that comes in because no one is crazy enough to offer him over 10.5 and give up four first round picks.

You never know when it comes to crazy Gm ' s in the NHL...smh.

Funny thing is if the Jets offered a trade straight up for Connor, how any teams would trade for him and offer two first round picks, a second, and a third? Yet an offer sheet may easily hit those targets. Again, who can guess what goes through the mind of a GM? I guess knowing he is locked in for 7 years makes the return value greater.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Funny thing is if the Jets offered a trade straight up for Connor, how any teams would trade for him and offer two first round picks, a second, and a third? Yet an offer sheet may easily hit those targets. Again, who can guess what goes through the mind of a GM? I guess knowing he is locked in for 7 years makes the return value greater.

I think lots of teams would jump on this. Connor is under the team's control for several more years. He's top line guy, not even in his prime yet. 

Connor may be the one that gets an offered an "offer sheet". Not sure he signs but his team could use it as negotiating leverage. 

This year will be like all the others... months of speculation about offer sheets, and none get signed.

Really how many players are worth trading a pile of picks for and then vastly overpaying their salary? You better be damn sure that guy is going to be your franchise player and I don't see any franchise players in RFA this year. Not Marner, not Aho, not Laine.

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Is Scott Stevens/ Brendan Shanahan the only ones a team has been able to take via the draft picks?

The last offer sheet to get signed and not matched was Dustin Penner who Edmonton signed away from Anaheim in 2008. Anaheim received a first, second, and third round pick in return and Penner was a disaster in Edmonton.

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The last offer sheet to get signed and not matched was Dustin Penner who Edmonton signed away from Anaheim in 2008. Anaheim received a first, second, and third round pick in return and Penner was a disaster in Edmonton.

Yes, Edmonton has been a comedy of errors of an organization for a long time, and yet they get rewarded with a beautiful new arena/facility, while Calgary continues to play in an out-dated old barn.  I don't get it.

Calgary is inexplicably a "NO TAX MONEY FOR ANYTHING!!11!" city, and the private sector (Oil, oil and maybe some more oil...) is right in the shitter right now. I will never EVER understand the idea that we can't spend tax money on stuff like this. Who the hell cares? Why can't we have nice things??? 

On 2019-06-27 at 11:34 PM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

For not bowing to the billionaire owner?

Arenas and sports are obviously good for the overall community and just the mentality you are a big league city. 

If im mayor, i cut a deal where the city pays a portion but.. We get money back yearly from taxes and what not. The owners pay the majority tho.