Free Agency

Floyd

49 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Kulikov when healthy was a legit top 4 D.. Chiarot is an ideal bottom pairing guy. 

Damn it.. Now who is gonna ice the puck. 

Kulikov will not be healthy so its a moot point...

And he was a tire fire last season.

Feels like Chevy is about to get bent over by Connor, Copp and Laine...  like I could see something insane like...

Laine - maybe a bridge at $8-9 million for two years?

Connor - $8.5 million for 7 years

Copp - $5.5 million for 6 years

I don't think we have been fleeced... I think everyone is massively overpaying for some of our guys.  

Jets did offer Chairot 2 years for 6 million and even that seems a bit high.   The guy was steady but easily replaceable.

I'd much rather the team dump salary for this season on a one year contract for one of the older guys still on the market then being on the hook for 3 years at 3.5 million per season on a guy who is very average.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I don't think we have been fleeced... I think everyone is massively overpaying for some of our guys.  

Jets did offer Chairot 2 years for 6 million and even that seems a bit high.   The guy was steady but easily replaceable.

I'd much rather the team dump salary for this season on a one year contract for one of the older guys still on the market then being on the hook for 3 years at 3.5 million per season on a guy who is very average.

Ken Wiebe @WiebeSunSports 6h6 hours ago

My apologies folks, Internet was a bit sketchy up at Clear Lake. Four-year offer was made by #NHLJets Chiarot ended up getting a higher AAV but took one fewer year

3 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Way to much for Chiarot and I didn't mind him as a 6D, but no way would I want Chevy to pay that, that's 3 starting D that need replacing some of the youngsters and going be put into the frying pan.

Looks like a rebuild on D....Some say we're taking the biggest hit so far AND if the new kids can't step up...this club has gone from contender to pretender...I hope I'm wrong but I don't like what I've been witnessing so far...I do agree that the habs over paid for Chiarot....but I also think Van over paid for the 'big reach guy' Myers.... A few guys off the books.... Nonetheless Chevy has holes to fill and has a few bucks to play with right about now BUT that might get eaten up by the likes of Laine and Connors...We shall see

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Looks like a rebuild on D....Some say we're taking the biggest hit so far AND if the new kids can't step up...this club has gone from contender to pretender...I hope I'm wrong but I don't like what I've been witnessing so far...I do agree that the habs over paid for Chiarot....but I also think Van over paid for the 'big reach guy' Myers.... A few guys off the books.... Nonetheless Chevy has holes to fill and has a few bucks to play with right about now BUT that might get eaten up by the likes of Laine and Connors...We shall see

Whole lot of maybe's on the Jets D atm, can Buff play 90% of the games this year, maybe, can Pionk be a top 4 D man, maybe, will Niku learn how to play D, maybe, can Stanley make the team as a 6 D, maybe, will Beaulieu play two good games in a row, maybe, will Poolman make the jump to the NHL, maybe, will Samberg sign with the Jets next year, maybe.................yup whole lot of maybe's but what Chevy has done or rather not done in regards of over paying needed to be done. 

3 hours ago, bustamente said:

Whole lot of maybe's on the Jets D atm, can Buff play 90% of the games this year, maybe, can Pionk be a top 4 D man, maybe, will Niku learn how to play D, maybe, can Stanley make the team as a 6 D, maybe, will Beaulieu play two good games in a row, maybe, will Poolman make the jump to the NHL, maybe, will Samberg sign with the Jets next year, maybe.................yup whole lot of maybe's but what Chevy has done or rather not done in regards of over paying needed to be done. 

I think Pionk is a project. I'm hoping for bottom pairing this year but developing into a 2nd pairing d. 

Niku is fine on defence. He's a good, young, puck moving defenceman and will complement the Jets D and 2nd pp unit. 

Jets have 22.9M in cap space and 15 players on the roster. Let's assume they fill four spots with guys on entry level deals or minimum contracts, i.e. Vesalainen, Appleton, and two other guys. That takes up about 3-3.5 million. So now you are down to about 19.5M to sign our four RFAs - Laine, Connor, Copp, Pionk:

Laine 5x8.25M

Connor 6x7.0M

Copp 3x2.25M

Pionk 2x2M 

Edited by Atomic

25 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Bad year for Chevy...

Traded 1st/prospect for Hayes

Did not trade Myers/Tanev at deadline

Traded Trouba for 2nd degree burns

Needed to dump Trouba. 

It would have been stupid to trade Myers and Tabev. 

Hayes was good. 

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Losing 50% of your games in 2019 does not make you a cup contender. Losing games going into the 3rd repeatedly does not make you a cup contender. Losing to the worst team in the league multiple times does not make you a cup contender.

This is hilarious.

After the trade deadline, the Jets were in first in the Central and had top 5 odds to win the Stanley Cup. But, according to your logic, you think the team should have dumped every UFA? 

I mean, I get that people are butthurt on how it ended, but this is really incredible. If Chevy dumped Myers, Chiarot and Tanev at the deadline, fans would have lost their collective minds. 

3 hours ago, JCon said:

This is hilarious.

After the trade deadline, the Jets were in first in the Central and had top 5 odds to win the Stanley Cup. But, according to your logic, you think the team should have dumped every UFA? 

I mean, I get that people are butthurt on how it ended, but this is really incredible. If Chevy dumped Myers, Chiarot and Tanev at the deadline, fans would have lost their collective minds. 

At least we would have got something instead of nothing. Outside of Stamkos most valuable UFA's are goner's. Islanders who were non-playoff team let Tavares go for nothing.

Jets were 22-18-3 since NYE.  Someone find a playoff team that was worse then the Jets since NYE.