Scheifele out for 6 to 8 weeks

JCon

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I think this topic deserves it's own thread....

Scheif is out. PoMo is not calling anyone up.

Discuss...

Can't replace him with anyone, unless via trade.

Best we can do is manage by committee and keep the boat afloat.

Armia looked in the zone last night, more of those would be nice.

I've said it before, I'm really liking Tanev's game, hit leader did I here last night?

Maybe with Schief down we move Buff to forward for a month or so?

16 hours ago, Atomic said:

Troy Westwood suggested this on 1290 this morning and I almost drove my car off the road.  No no no no no

Wide Lefty is lucky he got on with 1290. He'd otherwise be ranting and raving on a street corner somewhere downtown. His opinions on hockey are laughable. Byfuglien at forward has never worked for the Jets... But sure, let's revisit that dumb idea.

The loss of Scheifele is significant; you don't replace an elite centre and top-5 point getter. It'll mean shuffling lines and experimenting, so that could be challenging in the short-term . IMO, Wheeler at 1C is more than workable, though.

Here's the thing, Sheif is a top-5 point getter. You can't replace that. But why do you throw in deadweight like Matthias? Dano has speed and skill - why not put him on the 4th line and hope that you continue some production there?

If that doesn't work, why not bring up Petan or Roslo to generate more scoring?

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Because scoring in the NHL doesn't come as easily as scoring at will in AHL. Petan is a pretty sound example of that, IMO. Or going further back, Cormier.

Edited by blue_gold_84

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Here's the thing, Sheif is a top-5 point getter. You can't replace that. But why do you throw in deadweight like Matthias? Dano has speed and skill - why not put him on the 4th line and hope that you continue some production there?

Matthias is a 15-goal type of guy throughout his career.  Definitely snake bit to start this year but he may still turn it around.  Who knows what you're going to get with Dano.... Matthias gets opportunities and doesn't bury but Dano is basically invisible.  I don't know.  I'd like to see Dano too but let's not make him into something he's not.  Speed and skill... when?  I haven't seen it.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

They just might.  They haven't even played a game yet without Scheifele... nothing is set in stone.

23 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Wide Lefty is lucky he got on with 1290. He'd otherwise be ranting and raving on a street corner somewhere downtown. His opinions on hockey are laughable. Byfuglien at forward has never worked for the Jets... But sure, let's revisit that dumb idea.

I'm not sure why he has a job on a sports radio station. He can't even contribute on the football side of the analysis and listening to dialogue is painful.

24 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Why's that?  He's had experience up in the bigs... is having a pretty solid year for the moose..

He's got good hands. He can flip the puck around as good as Laine but I don't think he has the size or especially the shot that Marty St. Louis had.

Not sure if anyone on the Moose is not having a solid year. Even Mick E. Moose is atop the standing for mascots.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

He's got good hands. He can flip the puck around as good as Laine but I don't think he has the size or especially the shot that Marty St. Louis had.

Oh I agree.. he isn't an elite forward but he looks like hes taken another step this year down with the Moose.  I don't think he has peaked like many others seem to think but I don't think his ceiling is very high either..