The Airline Thread

• 1 month later...

Awful   Winnipeg sign dimmed in memory 

U of M engineering professor Zahra Moussavi lost her good friend, Forough Khadem.

Two other U of M grads — Pedram Mousavi and Mojgan Daneshmand — who went on to become professors at the University of Alberta, were killed along with their two children,

U of M Iranian Students Association spokesman Amir Shirzadi identified five other crash victims from Winnipeg — a staff member, two students and a family of three.

They’re identified as Amir Ghasemi, 32, Amirhossein Ghorbani, 21, Mehdi Sadeghi, Anisa Sadeghi, 10, and Bahareh Haj Esfandiari, 41.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-missile-iran-1.5420736

U.S. officials have shared intelligence with Canada that the Ukrainian airliner that crashed in Iran on Wednesday was shot down by an Iranian missile, sources tell CBC News. The crash killed all 176 people on board, including 63 Canadians. —

Reuters and The Associated Press were reporting that U.S. officials say they believe the Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-800 was most likely shot down accidentally by Iranian air defence, citing satellite data.

"Accidentally."

On 2020-01-08 at 8:35 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Should this be in the airline thread now?

Not suspicious at all.....hmmmm I saw some people noting the video of the crash had a lot of flames for a mechanical issue.  Anti aircraft fire?

If you were in charge of things in Iran, would you trust a major US defense contractor to tell the truth about the findings? What's needed is a neutral third party that both sides would trust to do the investigation.

On 2020-01-09 at 10:25 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah sure seems like Iran hit it accidentally.  Tough for them because half the passengers were Iranian and they’re still angry about the US doing the same thing a few years ago.  

Question is, what will Canada do in response.  

Seems a major miracle that 63 Canadians were killed and not a single American, is that just a coincidence or is it an indicator of our recent immigration policy in the region vs. the US's lack of interest in assisting refugees?

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

20 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Seems a major miracle that 63 Canadians were killed and not a single American, is that just a coincidence or is it an indicator of our recent immigration policy in the region vs. the US's lack of interest in assisting refugees?

Someone brought that up at work today. I don’t know.  I read there were several air craft that flew out around the same time so maybe it’s just a twist of fate or flight path or something. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I’ve done chargebacks a couple times. Not for airlines though.  I hear different credit card companies can be easier or tougher.  But they always sided with me. And I’ve used it in arguments with a business too.  “Look I’ll just file a dispute with my credit card company and you know they’ll side with me”. Usually works.  

For purely selfish reasons along with the fact my son & his wife live in the Seattle area, I'm hoping that Alaska Airlines comes back to Calgary as it was the only direct flight from Calgary to the Emerald City.  It was cheap as well. Less than $300 Canadian return.  They offered at least 3 flights a day & everytime we went it was packed. So, business was good.  So convenient as it was barely an hour's flight. Now, who knows if Alaska Airlines comes back with this &*(%$#@< virus?

• 1 month later...