The Airline Thread

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westjet-appeal-compensation-1.6559146

WestJet has launched a legal battle, seeking to appeal a Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) ruling that ordered the airline to compensate a passenger $1,000 for a flight disruption caused by a crew shortage.

When issuing its ruling in July, the CTA clarified that, in general, airlines can't deny passengers compensation for flight disruptions caused by staffing shortages. 

In a motion filed in the Federal Court of Appeal on Aug. 10, WestJet argues that the CTA's ruling was flawed, because it was based on a misinterpretation of Canada's Air Passenger Protection Regulations (APPR). The court has yet to decide if WestJet can proceed with its appeal. 

Consumer advocate John Lawford said if WestJet gets the green light and is victorious, it may pave the way for all airlines to justifiably deny compensation based on any flight disruption caused by staffing shortages.

"It would give the companies a pretty clear right," said Lawford, a lawyer and executive director of the Public Interest Advocacy Centre.

"The airlines are trying to interpret those regulations in a very aggressive sense so that they can, in effect, carve themselves out an exception to paying whenever they can," he said. "That's in their financial best interests."

Looks like WestJet is no better than Air Clownada.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://globalnews.ca/news/9431445/air-canada-luggage-charity-cambridge-couple/

More and more people are putting electronic devices like AirTags and Tile trackers on their bags just in case. It’s what one Ontario couple did, but it didn’t help them get their belongings back any faster.

Nikita Rees-Wilson and her husband enjoyed a honeymoon in Greece last fall. Like many, they returned home to Cambridge without any luggage.

The couple tracked their baggage with Apple AirTags. They watched as it sat in Montreal for roughly a month before being shipped out to a facility in Etobicoke in the Greater Toronto Area.

However, their suitcases remained there for more than three months.

They called Air Canada countless times but did not get help retrieving their bags. That’s when they got the police involved. Officers got a warrant to search the Etobicoke storage facility.

Toronto police told Global News in a statement, “it was determined that a charity organization that is contracted by the airline carrier had lawfully obtained the luggage from the airline after the luggage was not claimed. The luggage was transported to a storage facility in Etobicoke.”

While the couple has since been reunited with their possessions, Rees-Wilson says her experience can happen to anyone and encourages people to hold airlines accountable.

She tells Global News she has been financially compensated by the airline, but is considering taking further legal action.

Air Canada is garbage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Question: has anyone flown with Flair?  

I'm looking to fly to Calgary this summer - flights start at $49 - seems almost too good to be true

Many times... No issues at all. The cost is absolutely bare bones. As long as you don't need to bring anything with you, you're good. But if you need bags or anything else, it starts to add up quickly. Otherwise, Flair is great! 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Many times... No issues at all. The cost is absolutely bare bones. As long as you don't need to bring anything with you, you're good. But if you need bags or anything else, it starts to add up quickly. Otherwise, Flair is great! 

Thanks, that's good info to have. I'll probably have just a carry on bag. 

43 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

43 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

And do not expect to depart or arrive on time. Those, as posted, are suggestions and aspirational targets. The wife flew with them to Calgary in Ocotber- two hour delay in leaving Winnipeg and almost 7 hour delay in arrival back. she described the staff as "indifferent".

35 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And do not expect to depart or arrive on time. Those, as posted, are suggestions and aspirational targets. The wife flew with them to Calgary in Ocotber- two hour delay in leaving Winnipeg and almost 7 hour delay in arrival back. she described the staff as "indifferent".

For what it's worth, I've flown Fair probably 5 or 6 times now, and have never had this issue. I'm not saying it'll never happen, but I've never had that happen once while I've flown on any airline... WestJet, AC, or Flair... I'll probably even give Lynx a run at some point. 

6 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Question: has anyone flown with Flair?  

I'm looking to fly to Calgary this summer - flights start at $49 - seems almost too good to be true

I flew with them to Hamilton last fall. I didn’t notice much of a difference from Westjet. 
Lots of hidden baggage fees if you’re trying to bring more than one small bag. 
With just a backpack it was around $130 round trip. 

21 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I flew with them to Hamilton last fall. I didn’t notice much of a difference from Westjet. 
Lots of hidden baggage fees if you’re trying to bring more than one small bag. 
With just a backpack it was around $130 round trip. 

I noticed that - did a booking without submitting it.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/flair-lawsuit-alleges-breach-of-contract-1.6779841

Flair Airlines has filed a $50-million lawsuit against several plane-leasing companies over the "unlawful" seizure of four of its aircraft last weekend, the latest update to the ongoing drama in Canadian aviation after the budget carrier fell behind in its payments.

The filings in Ontario Superior Court state that Airborne Capital Inc. and a trio of affiliated leasing corporations "secretly" found a better deal for the Boeing 737 Maxes with a third party and then "set Flair up" for default, amounting to an illegal termination of leases.

"The seizures were orchestrated in a bad faith and malicious manner that inflicted the maximum possible harm on Flair, including by interfering with its passenger relationships and trust," the statement of claim reads.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-budget-air-travel-2023-1.6795296

Tuesday's federal budget included a number of proposals aimed at improving air travel after a year of chaos at Canada's airports. But advocates for both airlines and passengers are skeptical about the measures.

Ottawa has earmarked an extra $1.8 billion over the next five years for the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) to "maintain and increase its level of service" in airport screening and overall security.

But those improvements to airport security are coming at a price to Canadian travellers. The government is set to increase the Air Travel Security Charge — one of many fees that flyers pay when they buy a plane ticket — by nearly 33 per cent next year.

Starting in May 2024, the added fee on a one-way ticket within Canada will increase to $9.94, on a flight to the U.S. to $16.89, and on a trip overseas to $34.42.

"No better way to address affordability than by making air travel even more costly," said nobody ever.